No announcement yet.

"How to cure tanking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am offering up a sure fire cure for tanking. The problem of big market imbalance is much tougher to solve and I don't see the point of it. There is a salary cap in place, after all, and the NBA typically makes its' biggest profits from the big markets so it is a natural progression that many of the top players will gravitate to those markets.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      I am offering up a sure fire cure for tanking. The problem of big market imbalance is much tougher to solve and I don't see the point of it. There is a salary cap in place, after all, and the NBA typically makes its' biggest profits from the big markets so it is a natural progression that many of the top players will gravitate to those markets.
      basically perennial losing > tanking?

At what point do we say there is no difference between tanking and being completely unable to compete? Or even - its better for teams to tank and have a shot at competing then being unable to?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

At what point do we say there is no difference between tanking and being completely unable to compete? Or even - its better for teams to tank and have a shot at competing then being unable to?
        Or "at what point do we" acknowledge that no team has ever won a championship through tanking?

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          Or "at what point do we" acknowledge that no team has ever won a championship through tanking?
          It's not true.

It's also kind of unrelated to what Craiger is talking about. He's talking about bad teams using the draft as a way to get better, regardless if they are bad intentionally or not. Your question should be, how many teams used the draft to build a winner? It's clear that the draft is important and a pure free agency model would shift balance towards the big market teams even more.

Also tbh, I think focusing on rings isn't the best stat. A lot of franchises build contenders, championship worthy teams, but a lot has to go right for them to actually win a ring. So many teams have failed because of an unfortunate injury at an unfortunate time, or a bad matchup, or a few 50/50 calls not going their way. A couple different calls, and the Shaq/Kobe Lakers only have 1 title. That's not about management strategy, that's pure blind luck. So it would make more sense to talk about building a contender, a championship-capable team.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            It's not true.

It's also kind of unrelated to what Craiger is talking about. He's talking about bad teams using the draft as a way to get better, regardless if they are bad intentionally or not. Your question should be, how many teams used the draft to build a winner? It's clear that the draft is important and a pure free agency model would shift balance towards the big market teams even more.

Also tbh, I think focusing on rings isn't the best stat. A lot of franchises build contenders, championship worthy teams, but a lot has to go right for them to actually win a ring. So many teams have failed because of an unfortunate injury at an unfortunate time, or a bad matchup, or a few 50/50 calls not going their way. A couple different calls, and the Shaq/Kobe Lakers only have 1 title. That's not about management strategy, that's pure blind luck. So it would make more sense to talk about building a contender, a championship-capable team.
            I have no idea what the reply to me was.

But 'bad teams using the draft to get better' is exactly what I was speaking about (it wasn't a pro tank vs anti tank statement).

Eliminating the draft + a max salary will funnel young talent into certain markets, which will, as you stated earlier, be even more benificial for a few. Instead of having teams 'tank' we'll just be left with a bunch of bad teams with little to no chance of getting out of the basement. While they may not be intentionally losing, they'll simple be forced into it instead.

Really seems like 12 of one or a dozen of another.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

The Raptors have not done all that well with the abundance of lottery picks on the roster. Yes, anything is better than several teams simultaneously working hard to lose.

Given the salary cap, many players will choose to play where they can make the most money like when Nash chose the smaller market Phoenix over Dallas.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                The Raptors have not done all that well with the abundance of lottery picks on the roster. Yes, anything is better than several teams simultaneously working hard to lose.

Given the salary cap, many players will choose to play where they can make the most money like when Nash chose the smaller market Phoenix over Dallas.
                How well the Raps have done in the lottery is not very relevant. Thats just evidence of bad management and decision making, not that the lottery does or doesn't help.

To the 2nd point, you aren't giving players the opportunity to chase the most money though when their contracts are maxed out. You indirectly touched on one of the biggest ways to eliminate tanking here though, do the opposite. (get rid of any form of max contracts so teams cant afford to horde talent, which would distribute talent in the league, which would eliminate the need to tank - atleast as much as now)

Now ofcourse this has been one thing owners have been fighting against (paying fair value for labour!?!? thats too free market for a bunch of wealthy conservatives....... )
                Last edited by Craiger; Thu Sep 19, 2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                  It's not true.

Well, it was Craiger turning a "How to cure tanking" thread to yet another pro-tanking discussion. I took a minor run at that, though not really wishing for it to turn into yet another tan/ no tank thread. Don't we have enough of those already?

As to "It's not true.",,,,, it is, but let's not derail the thread.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Well, it was Craiger turning a "How to cure tanking" thread to yet another pro-tanking discussion. I took a minor run at that, though not really wishing for it to turn into yet another tan/ no tank thread. Don't we have enough of those already?

As to "It's not true.",,,,, it is, but let's not derail the thread.
                    There are well known examples among the very best players of all time, even. I rarely click on these tank threads because they are often full of angry posts, but I'm quite sure that I've seen this particular thing discussed. Or maybe I'm thinking of raptorsforum.com site.

Comment

76er coach Brett Brown goes into his first major press conference "driving a tank." Nothing subtle about what's happening in Philadelphia.

Grantland article by Chris Wright.

What does it say about an NBA team if one of the stated goals, from the mouth of the new head coach, is to be in shape? You're not trying to install a Thibodeau defense, or teach the Triangle. You just want the NBA players you pay to play basketball to be in decent physical condition. Think about that. You thought your team was Riggin' for Wiggins? Think again. Maybe you should just try being Stupid for Smart, because Brett Brown rolled into his first major press conference driving a tank.

Little bit of background for those of you who haven't been keeping up with the Sixers' wildly entertaining and daring offseason. After a disappointing 2012-13 season, the franchise hired Houston brainiac Sam Hinkie to run the team, parted ways with Doug Collins, and then pulled off one of the most action-packed draft nights in recent history, dealing Jrue Holiday and selecting injured big man Nerlens Noel and Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams. They finally settled on Spurs assistant Brett Brown to become their new head coach. He has a rep for player development, which I take to mean he knows how to lose gracefully.

We know a lot of teams are going to be tanking this season. But after Brown's press conference yesterday, it's hard to imagine any team tanking as gloriously as the Sixers. He never came out and said, "We're going to be an apocalyptic fever dream of terrible basketball." But he might as well have. Here are some of the highlights:

• "As a professional athlete, it’s your responsibility to get in great shape." UH. NO SHIT. "Your skin-fold test (measuring body fat) is this and your weight is this. That’s non-negotiable." Kwame Brown is on the Sixers, by the way.

• Local hero Khalif Wyatt is "tantalizing” and has the potential to be the Sixers' Gary Neal (OK?), but has "got to get in great shape. I’m convinced his key is fitness."

• Brown called Noel "endearing."

• On Royce White: "He is here."

• On the god Evan Turner: "I think the weight of the city and expectation [as a no. 2 overall pick] at times can drown you. I hope he’s not caring what goes on on Twitter."

Comment

Working...
                      X