Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla wrote: View Post
    Brian if you're reading this... get 'er done!
    If he is reading this. I would figure him to be slightly insulted you spelled his name wrong.

Even if he was reading this and all for it. He could probably name a bunch of good reasons why not to do the deal. The intellectual bastard that he is.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
      Brian if you're reading this... get 'er done!
      I always spell his name like that too lol.

I was really on the anti-Gay (bad word selection, I am aware) wagon but Matt, I think you converted me. Bargs, Dero, Jose, JV, and Gay would be deadly (not to mention they would be coached by Dwane Casey). Wow. Gay can be a defensive monster with his athleticism.

Only thing I am curious about is how Grizzly fans value Gay? I go on their forums from time to time and they are rather tough on him, but if they were to trade him they would want a lot back. If we were to trade for him and lose like JJ, ED/Amir, draft pick and someone else (really got no clue what we would throw at Memphis), we would then say goodbye to Batum or Nash and just sign role players with the cap space right? I am just trying to work out the rest of the roster additions.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
        I always spell his name like that too lol.

I was really on the anti-Gay (bad word selection, I am aware) wagon but Matt, I think you converted me. Bargs, Dero, Jose, JV, and Gay would be deadly (not to mention they would be coached by Dwane Casey). Wow. Gay can be a defensive monster with his athleticism.

Only thing I am curious about is how Grizzly fans value Gay? I go on their forums from time to time and they are rather tough on him, but if they were to trade him they would want a lot back. If we were to trade for him and lose like JJ, ED/Amir, draft pick and someone else (really got no clue what we would throw at Memphis), we would then say goodbye to Batum or Nash and just sign role players with the cap space right? I am just trying to work out the rest of the roster additions.
        If the Raptors send out at least $5M in the trade, they are sitting at the salary cap of $58M come July 1st.

They could amnesty Jose to sign Nash outright but that would not be in anyone's best interest.

Personally, I hope a sign and trade could be done so Phoenix gets something in return and Toronto can keep their exceptions (MLE and TPE).

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
          If he is reading this. I would figure him to be slightly insulted you spelled his name wrong.

Even if he was reading this and all for it. He could probably name a bunch of good reasons why not to do the deal. The intellectual bastard that he is.
          What if I told you that it was on purpose?

Comment

Bullets flying already, eh?
            Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Canadian air? Funny money? No ESPN?
            For one, no Grant Hills to tarnish his name.

You don't think Gay would have something to prove after being dealt? We are talking about a gold medal winning member of Team USA in 2010 World Championships and a player likely to get strong consideration for the Olympic team this summer.
            Does having something to prove necessarily mean an uptick in performance?

You think there is no room for improvement at 25 years of age? With his physical abilities, you don't think Casey could do some serious teaching and motivating?
            You seem to hold Casey's teaching abilities in high regard, despite him not having an opportunity to put them any use yet. Bargnani's defense is often misattributed to the arrival of Casey, but I think it's the result of his own hard work. He was committed to improving his defense even before we hired Casey.

Do you not recall the numerous missed open looks Rasual Butler, James Johnson, and Gary Forbes missed all year - especially at the start of the season. Imagine a guy with Gay's talent getting those looks. Imagine the opportunities created for Bargnani with a scoring threat such as Gay.
            You are a peculiar one. Gay isn't nearly the shooter you make him out to be. While JJ, M&M, and Forbes are all subpar, I'm not really comfortable with Gay spotting up in the right corner either.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Who said he had to be the #1 option in Toronto? With Valanciunas, Gay and either an improved DeRozan or a roster upgrade all on the court along with Calderon (or Nash) and Bargnani, I have no concern with scoring.
            Neither do I, but since you guys are all painting him as the next coming of Christ it's hard for me to believe otherwise.
            Last edited by Prime; Mon Jun 4, 2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

James Johnson + Ed Davis + 1st round pick + TPE

for

Rudy Gay

I would do this in a heartbeat, in fact I would throw in a 2nd round pick as well, no questions asked.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                hahaha

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                  Bullets flying already, eh?
                  For one, no Grant Hills to tarnish his name.

Does having something to prove necessarily mean an uptick in performance?

You seem to hold Casey's teaching abilities in high regard, despite him not having an opportunity to put them any use yet. Bargnani's defense is often misattributed to the arrival of Casey, but I think it's the result of his own hard work. He was committed to improving his defense even before we hired Casey.

You are a peculiar one. Gay isn't nearly the shooter you make him out to be. While JJ, M&M, and Forbes are all subpar, I'm not really comfortable with Gay spotting up in the right corner either.

Neither do I, but since you guys are all painting him as the next coming of Christ it's hard for me to believe otherwise.
                  All that and you never gave any reason behind the statement in question. Clearly you are giving opinions which you have nothing to back with - and that is fine. I thought that originally but at least now it is confirmed.

Comment

Can you keep Demar and get Gay? You would think he would be on their list to get Gay, or all three of our picks. Not that I would complain if that was the case either way.

Comment

Trades in the NBA that were primarily (or at least in large part) financially motivated:

Kurt Thomas and 2 first round picks from Phoenix to Seattle for conditional 2nd round pick (2007).

Marcus Camby from Denver to the Clippers for right to swap 2nd round picks (2008 - 1 season removed from DPOY)

Zach Randolph (and Mardy Collins) traded from New York Knicks to LA Clippers for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley (2008)

Zach Randolph traded from LA Clippers to Memphis for Quentin Richardson (2009)

Pau Gasol to LA Lakers from Memphis for scraps, rights to Marc Gasol, and 2 late first round picks (2008 - yes it worked out in hindsight for Memphis but it was a steal at the time)

Al Jefferson from Minnesota to Utah for Kosta Koufos and 2 lottery protected 1st round picks (2010)

Tyson Chandler to from Charlotte to Dallas for primarily Erik Dampier's non-guaranteed contract (2010)

While Rudy Gay to Toronto is purely speculative at this point, if the primary reason is financially motivated, there are a lot of examples of trades of really good players for little in return.

A #8 lottery pick, solid role players, a savings of $15M against the cap/luxury tax threshold this year, a savings of a $53M/3 year contract shouldn't be, and the ability to keep 3 free agents and address other areas of need via free agency should not be scoffed at, in my opinion.

Comment

how about we forget the lotto pick and throw 'em the 2 second rounders
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          All that and you never gave any reason behind the statement in question. Clearly you are giving opinions which you have nothing to back with - and that is fine. I thought that originally but at least now it is confirmed.
                          Are we seriously going to go into this?

Memphis' offense is one that relies on the dribble-drive and playing inside-out with players spread across the floor. For Gay, this is the best possible system to play in because it allows him to exploit his athletic prowess in isolation, where he hovers around 1.25 PPP. This approach only works if you have a big man who is a consistent threat in the paint and a sharpshooter waiting on the perimeter. The Raptors have none of the above.

It's unfortunate to see you so butthurt after someone revealed the truth about your favourite player. I expected more from you, Matt. Too bad.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                            Memphis' offense is one that relies on the dribble-drive and playing inside-out with players spread across the floor. For Gay, this is the best possible system to play in because it allows him to exploit his athletic prowess in isolation, where he hovers around 1.25 PPP. This approach only works if you have a big man who is a consistent threat in the paint and a sharpshooter waiting on the perimeter. The Raptors have none of the above.
                            This assumes that obtaining Gay is the only transaction that takes place this summer.

Comment

Then that'd be a different question entirely.

Comment

I'd still prefer Batum over Gay, personally. I'm not -against- Gay, per se, but I think NB is better value. He's a better defensive player right now, and has shown comparable ability offensively in bursts, and would come cheaper -- if Portland is willing to let him go. I'd rather (over)pay Batum $33M/3 years than I would Gay $54M/3 years.

I also like Batum better from a chemistry standpoint. He's not a star player already, so he won't come in thinking he's the franchise, the way Gay would simply based on his salary and his role in Memphis.

I'm not sure how likely Portland is to let Batum go, though -- if they want a player, they've proven they'll overpay to keep them.
                                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X