The Bench....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    Why would I go anywhere else when you're here, and worth more than enough fun.
    If constantly changing your screen name in a futile attempt to make internet friends, is your idea of fun, knock yourself out

Comment

Well, using that 15 minute benchmark of yours, the Raps' recent rotations have been 8 with 10 players used, 7 when 9 players used, 7 with 11 players used, 8 with 10 players used, 8 with 10 players used.................etc, with most of these "extra players" putting in 5-6 minutes. What do you know? Just like the rest of the league,,,,,, not unlike "most of the league".
      Okay, well who are the players in those minutes? Seriously, consistency and rotation management throughout a game is more than just a regular tight rotation, not just minutes and people who stepped on, than step off 30 seconds later.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        If constantly changing your screen name in a futile attempt to make internet friends, is your idea of fun, knock yourself out
        If inventing shit, and ignoring what I said to explain this name change, lubes your tubes, keep spewing.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          Okay, well who are the players in those minutes? Seriously, consistency and rotation management throughout a game is more than just a regular tight rotation, not just minutes and people who stepped on, than step off 30 seconds later.
          We can get into a detailed analysis of various teams' rotations and how they're executed, but that's not the point. A statement was made that the Raps are maintaining an "x" man rotation when they should be shortening the bench like "most teams" at this time of year. The facts say that the Raps aren't using any more players, for any more minutes, than the vast majority of teams are, but your welcome to show me otherwise.

Comment

I think casey is trying the 8/9 man rotation but the guys he throws on just can't produce. So he trys mixing things around, although this far into the season he should already know who and who not to play.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              ...although this far into the season he should already know who and who not to play.
              Except there are very few players demonstrating any kind of consistency. One game Anderson goes off for 20 and you needed them. Next game it's Lucas. Of Fields is all that's stopping the opposing wing from beasting it. I pitty Casey dealing with this schizophrenic crew.

Comment

Ever heard of this team called the Lakers?
                So you've shifted from "most teams" to 1. Slick maneuver!

Comment

Our bench is too deep in the sense that Casey uses too many players. He should only pick his 3 best bench players, and let everyone else ride the pine.

If Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Amir and Jonas are his starters, our bench only needs a PG (Lucas or Telfair...but not both), a backup wing (one of Fields, Anderson or Ross), and a backup big (one of Bargnani or Gray).

The 12-man rotations have got to stop. Play the starters heavy minutes. They're our best players. The purpose of the bench is to give the starters a rest...that's it.

We're coming down the home stretch of the season. We need to get into a playoff rotation. No more crazy, whacky lineups/ substitutions. Identify your top 8 guys and stick to it, dammit!

End of rant.
                  Really well put. Been thinking this for a while; only got reinforced after the Gay trade which should have put the SF rotation issues to bed.

Comment

For this to work, Casey needs to decide whether they're playing for today, or next season. Ross isn't ready to contribute to winning games. But his development is important for this team's future. Casey can't have it both ways.
                    I think coaches are always playing to win games. And the Gay trade made it clear that we're trying squeak into the playoffs this year. Hence, Ross being nailed to the bench.

The big problem with the roster right now (or at least, one of the big problems) is that we have too much talent at the wings. Ross, Anderson, and Fields are probably our best three bench players at this very moment. And you can only play two of them, at most, in a game.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

You know, I only partially blame Casey for these problem. BC is also to blame for not having a truly differentiated depth chart. That is, as with the Telfair acquisition he provides a different option, but not a differentiably betteroption and thus Casey's already troubling decision making problems are only compounded.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                        You know, I only partially blame Casey for these problem. BC is also to blame for not having a truly differentiated depth chart. That is, as with the Telfair acquisition he provides a different option, but not a differentiably betteroption and thus Casey's already troubling decision making problems are only compounded.
                        +1

I think I've even seen it written somewhere that it's Colangelo's philosophy to put together a team of guys with similar talent levels. He even has a term for it, but I can't remember what it is.

I guess the thinking is that if you do it this way, then if someone gets injured there's no dropoff. But it means that the coach is basically flipping coins to decide some of the rotations.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Valanciunas sitting on the bench at the 4th quarter again... His +/- was the best in the team, but Casey played ice-cold Bargnani and Gray instead... Anderson's +/- -27 in 13-14 mins of play...
                          (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

That's funny, because NOBODY is down to an 8 man rotation at this point.
                            Quote from a recent SI article on the Lakers chances of making the play-offs:
                            "Utah and Houston — who both go deep into their respective benches — are better protected than the Lakers, who are utilizing a playoff-type eight-man rotation these days."

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/26/kobe-br...ee/?xid=si_nba

So your complaint that Nilanka "shifted from most teams to 1" is just as accurate a maneuver as "NOBODY" (in all caps for extra fun) to one of the most prominent teams in the league who, like the Raptors, are chasing down a play-off spot, is also a "Slick maneuver"
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So you've shifted from "most teams" to 1. Slick maneuver!
                              Nothing's changed, genius. Most teams DO shorten their rotation towards the end of the season. But go ahead and keep burying your face in the sand pretending it's not true.

Regardless, it was you who said that zero teams are doing so. The Lakers simply proved you wrong (yet again).

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                The big problem with the roster right now (or at least, one of the big problems) is that we have too much talent at the wings. Ross, Anderson, and Fields are probably our best three bench players at this very moment. And you can only play two of them, at most, in a game.
                                themasao wrote: View Post
                                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X