What About Bryan Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What About Bryan Colangelo?

I think everybody's focus is being swayed here. For this lost season, most are blaming Hedo (granted!), some are blaming Jay, some are blaming the players. But what about Bryan Colangelo?

I agree he pumped new blood into the Raps, but if you really try hard and think about it, he really hasnt done that much to help the Raps. He drafted a PF in a Center's body expecting him to play center when all his life he's been a PF and overpays him eventhough he showed inconsistency in his 3 years in the league, he signed 6 euro-players only to release them in a span of 2 seasons, commits 6mil on a streaky shooter who has no defense and 50mil on an aging past-his-prime player, signed traded-traded three so-called major acquisitions who never really made an impact on this team and replaced a relatively unproven NBA coach with another unproven NBA coach.

I think if the Raps want to make changes, major changes, they should start from the top.

Everyone is to blame here ... Why do you think you are to only one who blames BC?

Comment

People are blaming Colangelo. People are blaming everyone. This was a fail at all levels.

Comment

Epic Fail, to be exact
        i think the team has talent and hasnt been used to its potential
        but that is on BC too for not getting the best guy for the job

Comment

I think its on Colangelo for handling the defense and rebounding problems with more offense.

Comment

The only way I'd fire Colangelo is if I could replace him with Kevin Pritchard and his gang. But Pritchard would have to be fired first. Word is Portland's ownership is angry that he drafted Oden instead of Durant.

Colangelo's time here has not been successful, but he does have a successful track record. So does Pritchard.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
              Colangelo's time here has not been successful, but he does have a successful track record. So does Pritchard.
              As executives of Vulcan Inc. discussed the pros and cons of firing Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard last summer, the discussion found its way to this conclusion: Pritchard had proven to be a solid senior-level scout, but largely incapable of running the organization.
              Owner Paul Allen and the Vulcan executives no longer trusted him to put the franchise before his own ambitions
              Inside and outside the organization, Pritchard harped on how much more Portland coach Nate McMillan made than him. He complained to friends, rivals and relative acquaintances, and that played an immense part in the gulf that exists between the front office and coach.

When negotiations became contentious with star Brandon Roy(notes), Pritchard didn’t stand firm with the limits of ownership’s offer. What’s more, Pritchard tried to cozy up to Roy by selling the notion that it was the two of them together trying to get the contracts they deserved from owner Paul Allen. For the unparalleled resources Allen has provided Pritchard to remake the roster – millions in dollars to purchase draft picks, packaging them in trades or stockpiling prospects overseas – Vulcan was beyond irate that Pritchard still couldn’t present a united front when Allen decided to make a financial stand.

It reeked of Pritchard’s desperation and immaturity, and eventually inspired team president Larry Miller to usurp Pritchard in the talks for Roy’s eventual five-year, $82 million deal. Pritchard would go around the NBA, and surprise peers with questions that included, “How much do you make?” before launching into diatribes about how he couldn’t understand why he was so poorly compensated in Portland, especially in comparison to McMillan

Allen and Vulcan ultimately decided to strip some power and autonomy from Pritchard, but decided to keep trotting him out to the things he most loved: news conferences and public appearances.

They left him the public face, but essentially he was neutered,” a league source with direct knowledge of the talks said.
              Privately, Vulcan executives wish they had gone further and fired him, sources say
              “The transition away from this regime has already started,” one source with knowledge of ownership’s plans said.
              Kevin was in a constant battle to position himself to get credit away from Nate for whatever success they were eventually going to have there,” one NBA executive friendly with both said. “Nate knows enough not to flap his gums and pound his chest – especially when your team hasn’t even won a playoff series yet. He’s secure in himself, in a way that Pritchard never knew how to be.

If Kevin just kept his mouth shut, cut out all the arrogance and insecurity, I think he probably would’ve had his extension a long time ago.”
              Yahoo Sports

Has your opinion changed after that? That was eye opening for me the first time I read it.
              Last edited by Apollo; Wed Apr 14, 2010, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Pritchard has been unrivaled in the transformation job he did from the jail blazers to now the redeemed blazers, but other than that he hasn't really been that exceptional.

They were fortuitous that Roy turned out to be best player in his class, but I've heard grumblings for a couple years that he drastically overvalues his players and other GM's don't really take him seriously in trade talks.

i think Nate should be in the coach of the year conversation with how he has miraculously dragged his team to the play offs with everyone being hurt and early chemistry issues as a result of Pritchard over clogging the back court.

The blazers are the mirror opposite of the raptors when it comes to overcoming adversity.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                  Everyone is to blame here ... Why do you think you are to only one who blames BC?
                  I disagree. Everything started with the GM, if he didnt get this or that player, or hired this coach, wouldnt have snowballed into a disaster.

The thing i admire (or maybe despise too) about BC is his high risk/high reward attitude. He definitely likes to gamble. He's flashy. He drafted Bargs probably with the idea that ill make this guy into the 1st Italian NBA superstar. He hired Jay probably thinking ill make this guy the 1st most successful international NBA coach. He took on O'Neal's contract and probably though i can resurrect this guy's career and make him the comeback of the year. He did try to call attention to a team north of the border but it unfortunately turned into negative rather than positive publicity.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    I disagree. Everything started with the GM, if he didnt get this or that player, or hired this coach, wouldnt have snowballed into a disaster.

The thing i admire (or maybe despise too) about BC is his high risk/high reward attitude. He definitely likes to gamble. He's flashy. He drafted Bargs probably with the idea that ill make this guy into the 1st Italian NBA superstar. He hired Jay probably thinking ill make this guy the 1st most successful international NBA coach. He took on O'Neal's contract and probably though i can resurrect this guy's career and make him the comeback of the year. He did try to call attention to a team north of the border but it unfortunately turned into negative rather than positive publicity.
                    Based on the same logic, you could say that Peddie is guilty because he hired BC knowing that BC is a poker player. It is easy to point out the mistakes after the facts are consumed. Last summer, almost everybody was excited about the changes BC did. The plan didn't work and that's why I am saying that the blame is on everyone: GM/Coach/Players. I don't know why are you saying that nobody blames BC because I can see quite few that believes that BC bets were unlucky so far, although many of the bets looked good at the time he made them. The only bet I never liked was moving Jay from assistant coach to head coach. The bets on TJ/Jermaine O'Neal/Turk were quite good, it just didn't work out and it cost us few first round picks!

Comment

oh, there will be enough hate to go around.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

I will grant that BC is not without fault...the most egregious being not taking care of the defense problem after last year and hiring JT (I must admit I was fine with it not believing he had such a large curve requirement). But I wanted to touch on your mention of drafting Bargnani and trading for Oneal. You probably do not remember that there were 3 possibilities for that slot...Thomas who ended in Chcago, Aldredge in Portland and Bargnani so I dont understand where the big mistake was made drafting Bargs. Re Oneal BC needed to solve the TJ problem so made that deal. Oneal has not exactly been a bust in Miami...not a huge success but not a bust though he did not work out here. Was it a chemistry problem or a coaching problem I dont know...but I would put that deal as something that was thought of positively at the time. If there is fault in those transactions it was giving up the first round draft choices. And we must remember these deals were done in the context of keeping Bosh happy that the team was trying to get better.

Comment

BC got some thinkings to do!

Comment

BC and Grunwald are the only GMs worth speaking about in this town. One faught to get respect in American markets and talent pools. The other went abroad and fought the league to get international players respect.

Both failed to put together winners. One didnt get the chance to right the ship before he left it, let's hope Colangelo is better in his departure.

Comment

Andrea Bargnani is making Bryan Colangelo look like an incompetent GM.

Once Colangelo gets over his fascination with Bargnani, things will improve for the Raptors
                              nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
                              X