No announcement yet.

Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Chandler in Toronto. We can sign him current salary position. Who knows if Cuban keeps him or not, that would be the (multi) million dollar question. Does Cuban make a run for Howard? Would not be outside his realm...but I digress.

Sign TChandler, before draft or moving other large contracts the lineup:
    PG: Bayless, Calderon,
    SG: Derozan, Barbosa (assuming likely opt-in)
    SF: JJ, Kleiza
    PF: ED, Amir
    C: TChandler, Bargnani, Alabi
    puts salary at around $58M(plus pick$). Not lots of money leftover but still trades need to be done, and of course some TPE left with many options discussed here and in the trade forum. If the draft yields KIrving, DWilliams or Kanter it will dictate the priority trades. Bargnani still probably holds the best value back to get bench options, Barbosa has potential, Calderon not sure, Bayless possible. Regardless, a Chandler signing immediately helps round out the roster before considering draft picks. It would make chasing any other FA's difficult without shedding salary (Barbosa, Calderon, Bargnani.)

This scenario would put Bargs as a 6th man (am sure you noticed I didn't put him at PF). I am not sold on keeping him (by any stretch), but off the bench to play next to Chandler and playing as he did this year with ED/Amir, does have possibilities.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
      Note before you jump on this I know we don't SIGN Chandler before the draft/lockout etc, I mean look at the lineup before considering slotting in the draft pick or trades.

Comment

• PG: Bayless, Calderon,
        Put KIrving in here with Chandler, Irving anchoring with DD, JJ and ED that is an exciting proposition in my view.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
          The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Chandler in Toronto. We can sign him current salary position. Who knows if Cuban keeps him or not, that would be the (multi) million dollar question. Does Cuban make a run for Howard? Would not be outside his realm...but I digress.

PG: Bayless, Calderon,
          puts salary at around $58M(plus pick$). Not lots of money leftover but still trades need to be done, and of course some TPE left with many options discussed here and in the trade forum. If the draft yields KIrving, DWilliams or Kanter it will dictate the priority trades. Bargnani still probably holds the best value back to get bench options, Barbosa has potential, Calderon not sure, Bayless possible. Regardless, a Chandler signing immediately helps round out the roster before considering draft picks. It would make chasing any other FA's difficult without shedding salary (Barbosa, Calderon, Bargnani.)

This scenario would put Bargs as a 6th man (am sure you noticed I didn't put him at PF). I am not sold on keeping him (by any stretch), but off the bench to play next to Chandler and playing as he did this year with ED/Amir, does have possibilities.
          Should the economic climate remain the same, I can see Cuban keeping Chandler and going over the luxury tax to retain him. Chandler isn't coming to Toronto unless he's getting a massive payday - and that goes for every free agent out there.

Comment

• And also depending on how far the Mavs go. Finals or championship I could see Cuban trying to keep Tyson even more. Cuban has a history of overpaying mediocre C's. Except is Chandler is actually good.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Should the economic climate remain the same, I can see Cuban keeping Chandler and going over the luxury tax to retain him. Chandler isn't coming to Toronto unless he's getting a massive payday - and that goes for every free agent out there.
              Cuban, of course, is the wildcard, but Mango, who do you really want? You switched to a more dissenting note on the C's, as you started out wanting Nene, now you are backing off there, don't want Dalembert (agree with you there), no to Curry (of course I agree here), don't think we will get Chandler, etc.

Pretty much leaves you with the Al Jefferson pickup just so you can watch Tim go crazy, unless of course you are happy sitting with Bargnani in the face of BC saying the Raps need a legitimate big, defensive C. Who else do you see?

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                And also depending on how far the Mavs go. Finals or championship I could see Cuban trying to keep Tyson even more. Cuban has a history of overpaying mediocre C's. Except is Chandler is actually good.
                Could always hope Cuban goes for Nene, or pushes for DHoward.

Comment

• Id probably go for Oden first.

If Portland is willing to pay him $8 mil for a year, im pretty sure they see something really good with his rehab. No way theyre going to put that much money on him if they didnt think he'll be good to go next season. If we can offer $11 mil, a starting spot and unlimited healthcare, Oden might consider it. What have we got to lose? Like you guys keep saying, we're in a rebuilding mode anyways, its not like we are going to contend next season anyways. And its not like there's a whole lot of All-star caliber FAs during the offseason. Might be worth the gamble.

If not, then id take Chandler.

Comment

• I really like Chandler and was infuriated when jordon nixed the trade, but I have no desire to take him on now. He's getting older and I'm super cautious of signing someone coming off a contract year playing on a great team. Maybe I'm just being anal or overly cautious but that's my feelings on Chandler.

For me the list of centers id throw money at is: Gasol and Deandre. That's it. Otherwise just draft Kanter/Jonas/Biyombo and roll with that.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                      Id probably go for Oden first.

If Portland is willing to pay him $8 mil for a year, im pretty sure they see something really good with his rehab. No way theyre going to put that much money on him if they didnt think he'll be good to go next season. If we can offer $11 mil, a starting spot and unlimited healthcare, Oden might consider it. What have we got to lose? Like you guys keep saying, we're in a rebuilding mode anyways, its not like we are going to contend next season anyways. And its not like there's a whole lot of All-star caliber FAs during the offseason. Might be worth the gamble.

They also gave a whole lotta money to Roy with his history of injuries and jury is still out if he'll ever be the same.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                        Id probably go for Oden first.

He's a RFA after they make the qualifying offer. They're going to probably match any offer that's realistic. I don't want the Raptors offering up $11M/yr to a guy who's only been physically able to participate in 25% of regulars season games over the past four years. That's crazy. There is a lot to lose by doing that. If that fails you go from rebuilding team right now to potentially being in a similar place still four or five years later.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          I really like Chandler and was infuriated when jordon nixed the trade, but I have no desire to take him on now. He's getting older and I'm super cautious of signing someone coming off a contract year playing on a great team. Maybe I'm just being anal or overly cautious but that's my feelings on Chandler.

For me the list of centers id throw money at is: Gasol and Deandre. That's it. Otherwise just draft Kanter/Jonas/Biyombo and roll with that.
                          For some reason, i thought Chandler was only 27, but when you pointed this out, i checked his age and he's already 29. But regardless, if Camby is able to play competively at 37, no reason why chandler cant play another 3-4 more years. He hasnt had any major injuries, and he's very much in shape to avoid them. What's good with chandler is he's a very good weakside defender. Very good help defender, which the raps are sorely lacking on. Im picking chandler on the assumption that Bargnani will still be here next season, if he gets traded, then its a whole new different perspective.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            He's a RFA after they make the qualifying offer. They're going to probably match any offer that's realistic. I don't want the Raptors offering up $11M/yr to a guy who's only been physically able to participate in 25% of regulars season games over the past four years. That's crazy. There is a lot to lose by doing that. If that fails you go from rebuilding team right now to potentially being in a similar place still four or five years later.
                            Like i said, Portland is probably seeing something good out of his rehab for them to offer him a qualifying offer.
                            If he was healthy and avg the numbers he's been predicted to avg, then he'd probably command a higher price tag. No way Toronto can afford him then. Say if you give him $22mil for the next 2 years, if he gets injured, im pretty sure the raps can get an exemption and get another player in. If we draft a center, he's going to be on rookie salary anyways so really, the $22 mil is not going to hurt the cap. Plus, what are you going to spend the 22mil anyways? you guys are saying no way theyre going to contend in a year or two anyways, so who are you going to spend the 22mil on? By the time the contract expires, if he doesnt pan out, the Center you drafted will probably be ready to start. And if he does get healthy, youll have a 24 yr old center who has the ability to be a dominant player in the league. The guy is only 22. I really think Portland rushed him way too early last season, that is why now that theyve given him a full year off, theyre going to extend him the qualifying offer coz they know he's well on his way to a healthy season. How would it set the raptors back 4 or 5 years down the road if his contract is only good for 2 years? Im just saying 2 years is a reasonable offer to give him, not sure if thats doable under the CBA.
                            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed May 4, 2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• I don't know, there is a rumor on the NBA board that the Blazers may be willing to give him $40M over four years. That's a huge risk. The fact that he's only 22 years old and has had such major health issues is a huge concern. If his body is breaking down this early you have to wonder what's coming next. His young age is not a positive here given the circumstances. Best to put that aside.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                I don't know, there is a rumor on the NBA board that the Blazers may be willing to give him $40M over four years. That's a huge risk. The fact that he's only 22 years old and has had such major health issues is a huge concern. If his body is breaking down this early you have to wonder what's coming next. His young age is not a positive here given the circumstances. Best to put that aside.
                                Yikes, i dont know about 4 years, unless there's a stipulation in the contract that if he doesnt play at least 60 games the 1s year then the contract is voided, but i dont think thats possible.

I guess we can use Amare for this argument, if he was able to have microfracture surgery on both knees at 23 and be able to come back and play the way he is playing now, then there is a glimmer of hope for Oden.

Comment

Working...
                                X