Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The new CBA has a wait time of 3 days.
    I thought it was a one-time thing because of the shortened season. 3 day's is better then 7 for everybody involved.

Comment

I have some interest in Beasley as the starting SF. Beez may have struggled with maturity issues, but dude averaged 20+ points last year, as a decent rebounder as well. I think the best compliment to Bargs is a SF who is slightly oversized, and a great rebounder - like Beasley.

If options like Batum or Fields from FA, or Barnes or Kidd-Gilchrist in the draft are available, then i'm all about that ... but I don't think Beasley should be thrown out as an option.
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Beasley would be a huge gamble imo.

Would you risk ruining some team chemistry, and possible maturity issues for him?
        I still am undecided.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how we didn't end up with Beasley with the Bosh S&T...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I used to like Lee (back during his rookie year with Orlando), but he's been fairly quiet since then. Maybe he just overachieved playing with a good veteran team that made it to the finals.

I love the idea of acquiring Mayo, but who knows what the asking price would be. If he's traded this year, it appears Memphis is looking for a 1st round pick in exchange, and you can guarantee Colangelo won't be giving that up unless a superstar is on his way to Toronto (Rudy Gay?).

Augustine is a nice piece, but I don't see him being the PG to lead us to respectability. If we don't address the PG situation this summer, I don't mind rolling the dice with Calderon another season, and trying to land a PG in 2013.
            Well he's playing behind Kevin Martin in Houston now and Houston for sometime has been like a better version of what we've been having to put up with in Toronto, that being a lot of average players(depth) but not much star power. They spread the PT out so much there that it's hard to get major bench minutes. Thankfully Toronto is moving away from the focus spreading the wealth out over 90% of the roster.

I'm still trying to figure out how we didn't end up with Beasley with the Bosh S&T...
            I'm glad he's not here. Talent doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the professionalism, maturity or character.

Comment

Colangelo didn't want him.

I would go for CLee for sure, Mayo* possibly, and Jason Thompson as a backup C (if we don't keep Gray). Speights, Arthur and Lopez will all be back with their respective teams I would bet.
              *If Memphis trades RGay I wonder if they try to hang onto Mayo even though they have had rough patches with him.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Well he's playing behind Kevin Martin in Houston now and Houston for sometime has been like a better version of what we've been having to put up with in Toronto, that being a lot of average players(depth) but not much star power. They spread the PT out so much there that it's hard to get major bench minutes. Thankfully Toronto is moving away from the focus spreading the wealth out over 90% of the roster.

I'm glad he's not here. Talent doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the professionalism, maturity or character.
                Ditto and ditto...

Comment

I don't believe Bryan was a fan of Beasley's, and I don't blame him (remember the off season before, Beasley had checked into rehab, and that is probably not something Bryan wanted to deal with on an ongoing basis).

However on top of that, we had Turk still on the roster at that time. I'm not sure if Bryan had any trade partners for Turk when the Bosh/Miami trade was happening. If we had Turk for another year, that would have created quite a log jam at the SF spot.

I think the TPE gave Bryan more flexibility at the time. In hindsight was it a bad move? Well it's questionable. We got David Anderson for some of that TPE which we used in a trade to land Bayless and Peja (who was a big heaping pile of waste). I guess we basically ended up with cap space which got us below the tax level.

I don't think Bryan is fond of head cases. This is probably why we'll never see a guy like Cousins, Blatche or Arenas on our team.

Comment

Small Forward

I think I've made my thoughts on JJ pretty clear as the starting forward for Toronto moving forward - I don't like it. I see him being an energy player off the bench. It is the same role I've always felt was best suited for Amir as well. That is not an insult to either player, or at least it is not intended. You need guys who can change the flow of the game off the bench, who do the dirty work, and who fans appreciate. I am a fan and there is no doubt I appreciate JJ and Amir when they are playing with heart and hustle within their abilities.

So with that said, the starting forward moving forward should come via draft, trade, or free agency. In the draft I am all for Miller, MKG, or Barnes - in that order. Via a trade, I am all for Rudy Gay. But lets assume free agency is the only option - and it most likely will be.

What players are available this summer?

Via HoopsWorld.com:

Gerald Wallace, Portland Trail Blazers – $10.5 million – Player Option ($10.5 million)
                    Nic Batum, Portland Trail Blazers – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Chase Budinger, Houston Rockets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
                    Sam Young, Memphis Grizzlies – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
                    Matt Barnes, L.A. Lakers – $1.9 million – Unrestricted
                    Andres Nocioni, Philadelphia 76ers – $6.7 million – Team Option ($7.5 million)
                    Anthony Tolliver, Minnesota Timberwolves – $2.1 million – Unrestricted
                    Donte’ Greene, Sacramento Kings – $2.0 million – Restricted ($3.0 million Qualifying Offer)
                    Bill Walker, New York Knicks – $0.9 million – Unrestricted
                    Devin Ebanks, L.A. Lakers – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
                    Dahntay Jones, Indiana Pacers – $2.7 million – Player Option ($2.9 million)
                    Jeremy Evans, Utah Jazz – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
                    Michael Beasley, Minnesota Timberwolves – $6.3 million – Restricted ($8.2 million Qualifying Offer)
                    C.J. Miles, Utah Jazz – $3.7 million – Unrestricted
                    The only name on that list that interests me is Nic Batum.

However, here is some reality of contracts of SF's around the league or recent contracts signed (approximate per season):

Marvin Williams $7.5M
                    Travis Outlaw $7M
                    Thad Young $8.5M
                    Arron Afflalo $7.5M
                    Danillo Gallinari $10M
                    Shawn Marion $8M
                    Tayshaun Prince $7M
                    Caron Butler $8M
                    Trevor Ariza $7M
                    Turkeyglue $10M
                    Grant Hill $6.5M
                    John Salmons $8M
                    Richard Jefferson $9.5M

So, for anyone out there hoping to land Nic Batum, I think $9M is the minimum per season average. More likely you are looking at around the same money Gallinari just signed for $10.5M per season (i.e. Bargnani money).

How do you feel about Batum at $10M per season?

Comment

The other option, and one that could come before July 2012, is Wilson Chandler.

I think his market price would be around that of Thad Young ($8.5M per season). Denver has the right to match all offers and it is hard to see them matching such an offer given the contracts given to Afflalo, Gallinari, and reportedly Koufos. Adding Galinari and Koufos takes the Nuggets to $55M on the payroll for next year with Ty Lawson due an extension in 2013.

The Raptors currently have just under $52M on the books. That means they can offer a starting salary of just over $6M per season when he is finished in China (you need to have the cap space to offer a free agent a contract). If the Raptors make a trade with less money coming back (or none at all) they could offer more.

So adding to the idea of Batum above, what do you think they should do?

Comment

No to Batum and $10+. I don't think anyone will give him that right now whether he is worth it or not. Gali has shown he can do it consistently, Batum has shown flashes. Don't get me wrong I like Batum, but I would be wary of that kind of outlay for him right now.

Comment

i want chandler on the team. even if you had to amnesty kleiza. chandler would be a great pickup for our team. might be able to jettison some players for garbage to make room.

i think we could even release butler and pay him over 2 years to free up some money and not waste the amnesty. do the same thing with magloire or forbes.

also just thought that if he comes back after we have traded leandro away from picks if possible we could have some extra cash
                          Last edited by Miekenstien; Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The Portland Trail Blazers fail to reach an agreement on a contract extension with forward Nicolas Batum and he'll become a restricted free agent this summer according to Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye.

“We're still not talking and we're not willing to accept the offer the Blazers have proposed,” Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. “The game is about to start and we haven't heard anything. We will not accept the offer that is out there.”

CSNNW.com first reported that sides were “very far apart” and that the Blazers initial proposal was viewed by Ndiaye, as a “low-ball offer” according to one source.

Apparently, there was too much ground to make up to get a deal done.

The Blazers had up until 9 p.m. tonight to reach an an agreement with their coveted forward, now Batum will become a restricted free-agent on July 1.

Update: Batum's agent also had this to say.

"When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance."

Blazers president Larry Miller:

"Batum's agent has a right to test the market. We've let him know how much we value Batum as a player and a person and we still want him to be part of our organization going forward."
                            Source

Comment

Ugh 10 is way too much for a SF that can't create his own shot
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                i want chandler on the team. even if you had to amnesty kleiza. chandler would be a great pickup for our team. might be able to jettison some players for garbage to make room.

i think we could even release butler and pay him over 2 years to free up some money and not waste the amnesty. do the same thing with magloire or forbes.

also just thought that if he comes back after we have traded leandro away from picks if possible we could have some extra cash
                                I am all for Chandler. He is just 24 (25 in May). He can guard 2-3-4. He can play either wing position on O.

Trading Barbosa with less money coming back would be a great way to ensure the Raps can offer a contract the Nuggets won't match - and maybe get an asset in the process, like a draft pick. Where Barbosa is an UFA in July, I'd be looking to re-sign him at that point.

Comment

Working...
                                X