How Can We Upgrade This Offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post

Detroit wants to trade Josh Smith not Greg Monroe. Read here.

Before people crucify me (please don't. I'm really nice), what are people's thoughts about J-Smoove in a Raptors uniform and an upgrade at the 4? Please bear in mind that his salary sucks but with a different environment / system, would he thrive here? Is he more toxic than Gay on offence? Bad locker room influence? Really shitty salary? Thoughts?
    I think you questions nailed it.

The article hits on his age, contract, declining athleticism.

Just say no.

Comment

• Smith is really good defensively but his IQ is terrible. With regards to his salary I think he's getting paid what he deserves to be honest. He's only 28 so it's not like he'll be retiring any day now.

But, I don't know if he's a team-first guy and that's kind of the environment we have right now. I am not sure he fits. If he is acquired they lose all flexibility again and I don't see MU giving that up for a player like him. I also wouldn't want to make Detroit a better team by helping them resign Monroe.

If the Raptors offered a poo-poo platter and Detroit accepted then I would think twice about it. Fields/Salmons or Fields/Novak or Fields/Hayes is what I would be considering (Fields being the guy they would have to take back). And even then I'd probably say no. It's a short term upgrade that could back fire.. but they lose their flexibility in 2015 when some really good free agents that could be made available. And the Lowry question has not been answered.. so you also don't want to give up all your flexibility when you may not have a starting caliber PG.

Comment

• ^ A fair point re making Pistons better. I think they are going to re-sign Monroe anyway, I can't imagine Dumars letting a good player go. He always re-signs anyone good. But on the other hand, getting rid of Josh Smith would enable them to probably add someone like Lance Stephenson or Deng. A scary proposition.

Jennings
        Stephenson
        KCP
        Monroe
        Drummond

Now that's a team that makes more sense, and they'd be so young and talented.

Comment

• I would only take Josh Smith if they add picks. It's a character risk, significant contract, and he simply wouldn't take this Raptors team over the top even at his best. And he's not a valuable trade asset, you aren't likely to use him in future trades for some star.

I think it would be better to keep collecting assets, possibly target someone like Lance Stephenson in the free agency, then try to see who becomes available in trades. Collect assets that you think you can trade.
          Or they can keep cap space and go after one of the big free agents in 2015 or 2016.

In principle, several years from now, depending on how the team looks at that point, Josh Smith may be a viable option. He was a pretty good player in a better situation. He takes too many inefficient long shots but he also adds defense, passing and overall dynamic offensive play to PF position. With Smith, you can add some plays where you run PnR from the PF position, for example; very few teams can do that.
          But now, at this moment, it's not the right move IMO. This Raptors team can't afford to get itself stuck under big unmovable 4 year contracts right now, it's not close enough to contention.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            I think for backup C, G. Dieng from Minny is the guy I would go after. Dude needs a lot, like A LOT of work, but is also a block machine and rebounder.
            I agree.. this guy would be awesome.. if Mu is desperate to get rid of Lowry.. I would swap Lowry + 2015 1st rounder for Rubio and this guy.. both him and Rubio needs work on theri shot.
            I know Minny needs to win now and K.Love is pretty much gone.. lowry is a definite upgrade over Rubio for them

Comment

• the only piston i want is KCP

edit: or Drummond i guess
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                the only piston i want is KCP

edit: or Drummond i guess
                Lol Kaldwell Pope? he's fucking horrible. No thank you

Comment

• Is there any possibility that we get Luol Deng this summer? Would this be a good idea? Would it be possible to get Deng while bringing back Amir, Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson? Thank you

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    Is there any possibility that we get Luol Deng this summer? Would this be a good idea? Would it be possible to get Deng while bringing back Amir, Lowry, Vasquez and Patterson? Thank you
                    Doesn't look like he will stay in Cleveland given how he sees the franchise and the leniency it has with it's younger players, so I'm sure there is a possibility.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      How can you tell? He doesn't even get to touch the ball on offense. That team is a mess.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        Doesn't look like he will stay in Cleveland given how he sees the franchise and the leniency it has with it's younger players, so I'm sure there is a possibility.
                        If we get Deng, we likely have to let one or both of Vasquez and Patterson walk. People much more knowledgeable than me have posted a bunch of salary breakdowns, and it really isn't looking like the Raptors have much space to play with this year. Maybe the MLE, but I see Deng going for at least 8 mill/year, and we can't afford that.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          If we get Deng, we likely have to let one or both of Vasquez and Patterson walk. People much more knowledgeable than me have posted a bunch of salary breakdowns, and it really isn't looking like the Raptors have much space to play with this year. Maybe the MLE, but I see Deng going for at least 8 mill/year, and we can't afford that.
                          I'm not that high on Deng myself, I'd rather roll with Ross at this point and see how he develops. And I do like Vasquez and Patterson, so there's that too.

Comment

• Deng's going to command at least $10M per season.. Raptors will have cap space if they renounce Lowry and let him walk and they waive someone like Salmons. Otherwise it has to be a S&T and Deng would want to come here for that to to happen.

I really like him.. class act and would have a connection with MU I'm sure. Just not sure what kind of assets we'd have to give up in a S&T. I don't see Cleveland taking someone like Fields and Hayes for him (for example). Plus I'm sure he'd want to start, and that would mean moving Ross to the bench which I'm not a big fan of (as that hurts his development).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Deng's going to command at least $10M per season.. Raptors will have cap space if they renounce Lowry and let him walk and they waive someone like Salmons. Otherwise it has to be a S&T and Deng would want to come here for that to to happen.

I really like him.. class act and would have a connection with MU I'm sure. Just not sure what kind of assets we'd have to give up in a S&T. I don't see Cleveland taking someone like Fields and Hayes for him (for example). Plus I'm sure he'd want to start, and that would mean moving Ross to the bench which I'm not a big fan of (as that hurts his development).
                              They might take that bag of goodies (fields/Hayes) cause their management sucks.

Also, Ross might be a great way we can get better this offseason. If he puts in Demar/Chris bosh contract year work ethic, he could be a (borderline?) all star (someday?)
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                what are you talking about? He's an excellent defender and crazy efficient shooter. Have you even seen him play or are you basing this on him not making the rising stars game?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X