2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Have any resident ESPN Insiders read Chad Ford's blurb and grade assigned to the Raptors draft?
    TORONTO RAPTORS | GRADE: C+
    Round 1: Terrence Ross (8)

Round 2: Quincy Acy (37), Tomislav Zubcic (56)

Analysis: The Raptors had a disappointing night. They were hoping that either Waiters or Barnes would be there, but when both were taken, I think the Raptors might have reached a bit.

I like Ross, and on certain teams I would've liked him a lot. But I don't think either he or DeMar DeRozan are small forwards. Ross does bring the shooting DeRozan lacks, but it would've been nice if the Raptors could have found help at either the one or three. Given how badly the Rockets wanted into the Top 10 (they were after Drummond and Rivers), I think I would've swapped this one for a few picks from Houston. They still could've landed Ross and picked up another asset as well.

Acy is a great athlete and plays with lots of intensity, but he's undersized for his position. Zubcic is a nice prospect on paper as a big point forward, but he's yet to show great production in Europe.
    Source: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...des-every-team

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I thought I saw that Ross for 6'6" and 200lbs. Even if he puts on another 20lbs at that size he can only be an NBA SG I think.

Acy reminds be more of Joel Anthony than Reggie Evans with the big wing span.
      He's 6'7" and idk. He could guard 3, sonny weems played the 3 and he's only 6'6 and 205

Comment

• Thanks King.

Given that every expert and fan assumed Toronto could trade #8 (and maybe #56) to Houston for say #12 & #18, to still be able to get Ross, I have to assume that BC looked into it and such a deal simply wasn't available.

It seems that the experts are high on Ross, but just think he was picked a few spots too high and isn't a SF. As long as the Raps fill their other holes (mainly starting SF) by other means, than this all becomes a moot point. As for the issue of a hole at PG, I think Calderon or Nash would fill it quite well for a year, while the team continues to search for their PG-of-the-future (I certainly don't think Rivers would solve that need and Marshall would've been an even bigger reach at #8).

I'm torn on Acy, but it was #37, so whatever. I hope the kid works out for us.

Comment

• Apparently all the deals to go down were out of the first altogether.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            He's 6'7" and idk. He could guard 3, sonny weems played the 3 and he's only 6'6 and 205
            But he shouldn't have. That was one of the biggest causes for frustration with Weems. As a backup SG, he was alright. As a backup SF (or even worse, as a starting SF), he was overmatched most of the time. And the whole "young onez" thing went to his head, so that his ego kept blocking his shots... buh bye! If Weems facilitates a S&T for Nash or nets a 2nd round pick as a S&T deal on his own, I'll be quite pleased.

Comment

• I like both of our high picks. I really do. I just thought there were better options available, but I guess that's why I'm not making decisions. I could care less about our last pick, was hoping we'd trade it for anything really.

Comment

But he shouldn't have. That was one of the biggest causes for frustration with Weems. As a backup SG, he was alright. As a backup SF (or even worse, as a starting SF), he was overmatched most of the time. And the whole "young onez" thing went to his head, so that his ego kept blocking his shots... buh bye! If Weems facilitates a S&T for Nash or nets a 2nd round pick as a S&T deal on his own, I'll be quite pleased.
                what about pietrus? he's 6'6" 215. I don't see why Ross can't play the 3 if he adds a little weight. Even Casey said that he'll play both Ross and DeRozan at both wing spots

Comment

• I think what Calgary is saying is Weems sucks and good riddance.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    I think what Calgary is saying is Weems sucks and good riddance.
                    :-)

I'd package him with Bayless & JJ for something useful, if I could! Just not my cup of tea.

Comment

• I wonder if this means that Weems can't be dealt in a S&T? This is from Larry Coon's chat on ESPN today:

JB
                      Larry, because Jeff Green was technically not on the Celtics’ roster last season, are they unable to sign-and-trade him?

Larry Coon
                      Correct. One of the new rules is that teams can only do a sign-and-trade with a player that was on their roster the previous season. By the way, the same thing goes for Phoenix with Aaron Brooks, and Utah for AK-47.

Comment

• CNNSI gave Toronto's draft a B+

B+ Toronto Raptors
                        Once you got past Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal, there was incredible parity -- perceive parity, anyway -- among the shooting guard crop. So while Terrence Ross (No. 8) was expected to go later in the lottery or possibly in the late teens, it's not really a surprise that he landed here. He's an athletic scorer and a big-time shooter who seems destined to become a favorite of coach Dwane Casey. Ross joins DeMar DeRozan to give an offense-starved team another perimeter scorer. Toronto also took Baylor small forward Quincy Acy at No. 37, and the high-energy player will be there to crash the glass and dive for loose balls. At No. 56, Toronto grabbed 7-foot Croatian forward Tomislav Zubic.
                        LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...des/index.html

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          I think what Calgary is saying is Weems sucks and good riddance.
                          ya i dont like weems. T Ross is a million times better than him

Comment

• Speaking of Ross and Acy.

Comment

Given that every expert and fan assumed Toronto could trade #8 (and maybe #56) to Houston for say #12 & #18, to still be able to get Ross, I have to assume that BC looked into it and such a deal simply wasn't available.
                              I also find it amusing that Chad Ford didn't even entertain the idea that Bryan was calling teams to trade down, but that nothing came of it. David Aldridge had no problem with the pick when he analysed it for NBA TV.

Comment

• Grading a draft right after it takes place is stupid anyways. I'd rather see grades 2 or 3 years later.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X