• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^

There you go Nilanka.

Comment

BD12 wrote: View Post
      Jonas is not "elite" talent. If he was, what does that make Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler or "insert name of any coordinated starting center"? I think he has the potential to be a Joakim Noah with a much prettier jumpshot. Just my opinion though.

Anthony Davis is an "elite" talent.
      Noah with a pretty jumper. You might not find that elite, but I'm pretty much salivating thinking about it. I also happen to think that's slightly a lot better than DeAndre Jordan.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
        lol, if you're unable to appreciate the advancements in DD's game this year, and actually enjoy:

"My favourite part: [DeRozan] was the second or third least productive guard/forward in the league last year...",,,,,, note "last year"

HUH???? Your fav part is last year's review that disses a player giving his all for "your team", and showing improvement in damn near every area of his game THIS YEAR ? Some people here truly need professional help, or get past puberty to be happy.
        I get where he's coming from. For most people, whether a basketball player is 'good' or not is a subjective measure that's valued in highlight reel plays, box score stats and untapped potential. Trying to explain to someone that's a casual fan of the sport that an exciting but flawed player isn't very productive can be frustrating. A lot of people outside of these forums (and even some that frequent them) aren't concerned with things like efficiency, turnover rate and the like because watching the game casually doesn't really allow you to get a good sense of what's happening aside from the 'end result' of each possession.

For all of DeRozan's improvements this year, he's still a very average player AT THIS TIME, and he and Bargs have been effectively sabotaging the Raptors from within for the past 3 years. If you replaced DD with Jason Terry, right away the team would be significantly more dangerous offensively. Two years from now? Probably exactly the opposite. And that's the tough thing about advanced stats: they can give you a very accurate picture of what has happened in the past, but they can no more predict the future than you or I.

What they CAN tell us is that DeRozan is still a high volume, low efficiency player that struggles to bring more to the table than just scoring. It's up to DeRozan to change what the stats tell us.

Comment

unreal, isn't it??
          Pessimism and fans do NOT mix well.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            Pessimism and fans do NOT mix well.
            Pessimism is not the same thing as realism, and being down on a certain player doesn't mean you're down on the whole team. Just keep that in mind.

Comment

BD12 wrote: View Post
              Jonas is not "elite" talent. If he was, what does that make Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler or "insert name of any coordinated starting center"? I think he has the potential to be a Joakim Noah with a much prettier jumpshot. Just my opinion though.

Anthony Davis is an "elite" talent.
              Lmao did you just call Deandre jordan elite? he's not even close to elite. Jonas is easily going to be better than Deandre and Chandler EASILY!

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                Pessimism is not the same thing as realism, and being down on a certain player doesn't mean you're down on the whole team. Just keep that in mind.
                "Now, if the point is, "he will one day not be one of the worst players in the NBA" then I guess you're right, but I think the point is how he's becoming useful, which he isn't." - From Brandon a few posts up

Realistically, Demar is a good, yet slightly inefficient, scorer for his position. Him being 23 along with his current trend of improvement project an increase in Demar's effectiveness as the years go by.

Optimistically, Demar is great enough to be part of a deep playoff starting rotation, in a few years can reach All-Star status!

Pessimistically, Demar is crap, he will never be good, lets abandon hope.

Now, which of these 3 would you categorize Brandon's quote under?
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                  +1

The way he plays reminds me a bit of Anderson Varejao and that's a very good thing in my opinion.
                  You guys are under valuing him way too much. Y'all are in for a big surprise. Andrerson Varejao? you must be on some real good shit man. This dude is putting up 8.5 Points, 5.3 Rebounds and 0.6 Blocks in 20 Minutes! Those stats adjusted to 30 mins is 12.7 Points, 8 rebounds, and 1 block. Those are very very good stats, better than Varejao's career stats lmao. He's going to be an elite top 3 C in the league easy.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    You guys are under valuing him way too much. Y'all are in for a big surprise. Andrerson Varejao? you must be on some real good shit man. This dude is putting up 8.5 Points, 5.3 Rebounds and 0.6 Blocks in 20 Minutes! Those stats adjusted to 30 mins is 12.7 Points, 8 rebounds, and 1 block. Those are very very good stats, better than Varejao's career stats lmao. He's going to be an elite top 3 C in the league easy.
                    Varejao is averaging 16 points and nearly 14 boards a game, he's pretty amazing so far this season

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                      Varejao is averaging 16 points and nearly 14 boards a game, he's pretty amazing so far this season
                      in what 10 games? do you actually think he's capable of averaging that all season?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        in what 10 games? do you actually think he's capable of averaging that all season?
                        To say his stats aren't impressive because of the small sample size is the same as saying JV's stats aren't impressive because of the sample size. Personally, I don't think he'll keep his stats THAT high. But I'm just saying he is playing great right now, and it's a pretty respectable comparison

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                          To say his stats aren't impressive because of the small sample size is the same as saying JV's stats aren't impressive because of the sample size. Personally, I don't think he'll keep his stats THAT high. But I'm just saying he is playing great right now, and it's a pretty respectable comparison
                          i guess so but i think Big V will be able to sustain it. Varejao's stats aren't sustainable

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                            I get where he's coming from. For most people, whether a basketball player is 'good' or not is a subjective measure that's valued in highlight reel plays, box score stats and untapped potential. Trying to explain to someone that's a casual fan of the sport that an exciting but flawed player isn't very productive can be frustrating. A lot of people outside of these forums (and even some that frequent them) aren't concerned with things like efficiency, turnover rate and the like because watching the game casually doesn't really allow you to get a good sense of what's happening aside from the 'end result' of each possession.

For all of DeRozan's improvements this year, he's still a very average player AT THIS TIME, and he and Bargs have been effectively sabotaging the Raptors from within for the past 3 years. If you replaced DD with Jason Terry, right away the team would be significantly more dangerous offensively. Two years from now? Probably exactly the opposite. And that's the tough thing about advanced stats: they can give you a very accurate picture of what has happened in the past, but they can no more predict the future than you or I.

What they CAN tell us is that DeRozan is still a high volume, low efficiency player that struggles to bring more to the table than just scoring. It's up to DeRozan to change what the stats tell us.
                            Well, I'm not what many would call a "casual fan", and bare stats to judge a basketball player and his progress are not my thing. I know what I see.

However, my issue isn't to argue whether or not he has improved and what the stats say about his efficiency this year. I was responding to a "fan's" statement that he enjoys pointing out a piece that disses a player on his team, one that happens to be working his tail off, and despite whatever the naysayers which to extrapolate from stats alone, is showing improvement in virtually every aspect of his game, 3 point shooting excepted. It's the glee over some stat geek saying that a young player on "your team" isn't as good as some believe. Joy in pessimism being confirmed by last year's stats??? I don't get it.

If you get enjoyment from that, I feel sorry for you. If you like the game, there's has to be a better way to enjoy it.

Comment

If you get enjoyment from that, I feel sorry for you. If you like the game, there's has to be a better way to enjoy it.
                              You must be new to the internet.

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about whether or not DD is a 'good' player. The point is that Brandon doesn't think he is, he has the stats to back it up, and he's expressing his opinion. Whether you call it pessimism or not, he has every right to do so and you might want to consider that although his opinion may be somewhat extreme, it comes from the same place an overly optimistic opinion comes from: passion for the team. He wouldn't be arguing that DD is crap if he didn't care about the team and didn't want them to go in a different direction.

Comment

Well, I'm not what many would call a "casual fan", and bare stats to judge a basketball player and his progress are not my thing. I know what I see.

However, my issue isn't to argue whether or not he has improved and what the stats say about his efficiency this year. I was responding to a "fan's" statement that he enjoys pointing out a piece that disses a player on his team, one that happens to be working his tail off, and despite whatever the naysayers which to extrapolate from stats alone, is showing improvement in virtually every aspect of his game, 3 point shooting excepted. It's the glee over some stat geek saying that a young player on "your team" isn't as good as some believe. Joy in pessimism being confirmed by last year's stats??? I don't get it.

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
                                Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

-- John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn

Comment

Working...
                                X