No announcement yet.

Game day: Tor @ okc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting away from the angst and melodrama for a second, can we now all agree that Amir Johnson is the best player on this team? Can we also all agree that getting rid of Gay was fantastic for Val, Amir, Lowry, Ross and Derozan?

I'm not super-invested in wins or losses at this point given the state of flux of this organization but it is nice to finally see some quality ball against good opponents. It's even better to see the bigs playing well. Regardless of what else happens (or doesn't happen) having Val and Amir to solidify the frontline makes things easier for the GM.

Comment

• Matt.

I'm all for tanking for talent.

But what if Toronto can lure an established guy here (might have to rely on this)

Comment

• I wouldn't say Amir is the best, simply because I think of him as more of an enabler than a catalyst.
        He needs other guys around him exerting their will, and he can do the rest.
        Most solid guy on the team, yes, most consistent, yes - but not the best.

Getting rid of Gay was more cleansing than getting rid of Bargs.
        His absence has caused me to totally re-evaluate my outlook on just about every player on this team.
        Especially Val.

Comment

• WTF - Why is this the game story's photo for The Star? How many dozens of photographers are in the arena for an NBA game? And they pick a blurry shot of Reggie Jackson's crotch? For the Raps' biggest win of the season?
          "Congratulations, Raptors' fans - your team pulled off a hugely unlikely victory last night. Now, here's a photo of Reggie Jackson's crotch and some blurry leg hair."
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• True grit

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Good point.

Difference though is those role players play off stars.

Toronto was running ISOs for John Salmons.

Also talent in this year draft vs. last year is night and day.
              Those John Salmons isos were making me cringe during the entire 4th quarter. I couldn't believe he actually hit some of those shots.

Let's just say that 19 times out of 20 Kevin Durant will outplay John Salmons.

The tough question still remains - how good is this core, really? The games have been a lot of fun - I love how the team is playing. I'm cheering for the wins. But I'm not kidding myself re: how low the ceiling of this current group is.

Whether it means scoring in the 2014 draft or not, there needs to be significant changes made to this roster if anyone wants to consider seeing wins like last night become a regular part of the Toronto Raptors fan experience.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                Matt.

I'm all for tanking for talent.

But what if Toronto can lure an established guy here (might have to rely on this)
                An established guy is usually going to be 28-30.

That is great when you have a young core with all-star talent but it is not a good description of toronto

Comment

That is great when you have a young core with all-star talent but it is not a good description of toronto
                  Like when Indy was still an unknown quantity and lured 2nd tier FA, David West, with the resulting sum becoming greater than the parts? No, that never works out. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Like when Indy was still an unknown quantity and lured 2nd tier FA, David West, with the resulting sum becoming greater than the parts? No, that never works out. lol.
                    Of course it did.

But tell me where oh where is the raptors defensive player of year and franchise wing before this happens?

You can't focus on winning until you get elite talent. It is asset accumulation time for the Raptors not time to put the cart before the horse.

Comment

• If we get Rondo Fuck tanking

Comment

Of course it did.

But tell me where oh where is the raptors defensive player of year and franchise wing before this happens?

You can't focus on winning until you get elite talent. It is asset accumulation time for the Raptors not time to put the cart before the horse.
                        I believe we are in asset accumulation mode, but we just happen to be winning. Winning lowers the value of one "potential" asset (our 2014 draft pick) and increases the trade value of current assets. As you already know, I prefer "increasing the value of current assets" approach vs. the "chance" that a potential future asset might be valuable. There are too many teams in way better position to tank than the Raps, so even losing this season might be futile.

Comment

Of course it did.

They signed West as a FA prior to the 2011-12 season, when Paul George had only his rookie year under his belt, and 19 starts. Was ANYBODY calling him a franchise wing then? I don't seem to recall that. And who is this DPOY you speak of? They didn't have one then, and still don't.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            If we get Rondo Fuck tanking
                            lowry and hansbrough for Rondo and a first rounder

Comment

• Also. All this talk about John Salmons being the option near the end of the game. The reason for that was because he was being guarded by a rookie (PJ III is basically a rookie, didn't play much last season). OKC locked down on DeMar and Kyle so the only other guy was Salmons and he hit some timely shots. It had nothing to do with him being "the number 1 option in crunch time". It was simply the right move at the time.

Comment

I wouldnt be married to that way of thinking. Amir, DD, Lowry.... all old enough to start shining. Drop a top tier 3 in there....

Pow.

Comment

Working...
                                X