Rookie Ladder: Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Ladder: Ed Davis

Good to see Big Ed get some love from the NBA press machine. T Dot can use all the positive exposure we can get right now

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Good to see Big Ed get some love from the NBA press machine. T Dot can use all the positive exposure we can get right now

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1
    He is a lottery pick from an elite basketball program, ESPN loves UNC, and he has NBA pedigree. He is also playing pretty good so far since being activated. However in my opinion if he was not a lottery pick and from an elite basketball program that ESPN loves and didn't have NBA pedigree ESPN wouldn't give him a second thought at this point given his overall performance through 41 games. See below for grade.

Moral of he story: If you want favorable commentary from ESPN about a NBA rookie that is only playing average make a PC lottery pick.

My grades so far for Davis

Offense
    ---------------
    At the Rim ------------------------------A
    In the Paint other than at the RIM-----C
    Rebounding-----------------------------A
    Free Throw Shooting-------------------D
    Shooting other than at the RIM--------D

Overall Offense------------------------C+

Defense
    ---------------------
    At the RIM----------------------------------------A-
    In the Paint Other Than At The RIM-------------B+
    Rebounding---------------------------------------C+ For a big. He is 48th in Def Rebounds per 36 Min - Johnson is worse at 62nd
    Team Defense------------B

Overall Defense----------B

Games Missed Due To Injury--------------D

Overall - C
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Overall a C? Hmm..

Comment

Overall a C? Hmm..
        Two things hurt him.

1. He has missed a high percentage of games so far. It doesn't matter how good a player is if they can't play but are getting paid they are not helping their team but in fact are hurting their team. The fact that he missed all of those games goes against him.

2. His shooting from other than at the rim has sucked

That is why I give him an overall of a "C"
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          He is a lottery pick from an elite basketball program, ESPN loves UNC, and he has NBA pedigree. He is also playing pretty good so far since being activated. However in my opinion if he was not a lottery pick and from an elite basketball program that ESPN loves and didn't have NBA pedigree ESPN wouldn't give him a second thought at this point given his overall performance through 41 games. See below for grade.

Moral of he story: If you want favorable commentary from ESPN about a NBA rookie that is only playing average make a PC lottery pick.

My grades so far for Davis

Offense
          ---------------
          At the Rim ------------------------------A
          In the Paint other than at the RIM-----C
          Rebounding-----------------------------A
          Free Throw Shooting-------------------D
          Shooting other than at the RIM--------D

Overall Offense------------------------C+

Defense
          ---------------------
          At the RIM----------------------------------------A-
          In the Paint Other Than At The RIM-------------B+
          Rebounding---------------------------------------C+ For a big. He is 48th in Def Rebounds per 36 Min - Johnson is worse at 62nd
          Team Defense------------B

Overall Defense----------B

Games Missed Due To Injury--------------D

Overall - C
          Wait, so let me get this straight Buddah... You're saying that if Davis wasn't as good in highschool, thus leading him to a shittier college, and thus not being as good as he is now, then they wouldn't be talking about him and saying how good he is? Hrmm... ya that almost makes TOO MUCH sense. Great observation.

If Kobe Bryant wasn't as good as he is then people wouldn't say he's the best in the game.
          I can make general, obvious, sweeping statements as well.
          Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Wait, so let me get this straight Buddah... You're saying that if Davis wasn't as good in highschool, thus leading him to a shittier college, and thus not being as good as he is now, then they wouldn't be talking about him and saying how good he is? Hrmm... ya that almost makes TOO MUCH sense. Great observation.

If Kobe Bryant wasn't as good as he is then people wouldn't say he's the best in the game.
            I can make general, obvious, sweeping statements as well.
            1. Kobe's father played in the NBA
            2. Kobe plays for one of the elite franchises in the league
            3. Comparing Davis to Kobe is insane
            4. How many rookes from Div II colleges or some mediocre Division I program that are not lottery picks and don't have pedigree that are averaging 6 and 6 in 20 something games gets this kind of write up. Name me one. Go ahead.

Comment

Two things hurt him.

1. He has missed a high percentage of games so far. It doesn't matter how good a player is if they can't play but are getting paid they are not helping their team but in fact are hurting their team. The fact that he missed all of those games goes against him.

2. His shooting from other than at the rim has sucked

That is why I give him an overall of a "C"
              Interesting argument. If a player is injured they are "hurting" their team. Does that apply to the oft-injured Amir as well?

I think if you took a snapshot of Big Ed's progression, factoring in minutes played per game since his return from injury, i would say he is at a B-/B at this point. He is only getting better and better. He has the right tough guy attitude, pack on another 20 lbs he can be a dominant low post defender

Comment

Interesting argument. If a player is injured they are "hurting" their team. Does that apply to the oft-injured Amir as well?

I think if you took a snapshot of Big Ed's progression, factoring in minutes played per game since his return from injury, i would say he is at a B-/B at this point. He is only getting better and better. He has the right tough guy attitude, pack on another 20 lbs he can be a dominant low post defender
                They have to have missed games to count as missed games.

All players play injured, most of the time the public is not told about it.

Davis can't shoot and is a below average defensive rebounder based upon rebounds per 36 minutes. He is currently only 48th in the NBA in defensive rebounds per 36 minutes and that is with most of his time playing with Bargnani.

The fact is that Johnson has never shown himself either to be an average or above average defensive rebounder. The Raptors currently have no rotation player that is more than average in defensive rebounding.

Davis shooting except at the rim so far sucks. Right now on offense he looks like a more athletic Reggie Evans. Shooting 55% from the foul line is not going to cut it.

Evans has also oft been injured and missed games over his career. Davis has missed a high percentage of possible games over the last 12 months due to two significant injuries. So to me at this point I would compare Davis to Evans.

At this point in his career he plays like a slightly upgraded Reggie Evans

Those that love Reggie's game will love Davis game.

Let me make it clear.

I am rooting for Davis to succeed not miss games due to injury and learn how to shoot from beyond nine feet.

I don't see him as a threat to Johnson.

The minutes will work out as they work out.

Johnson has been given adequate coaching and a fair chance to show what he can do. If Triano sends him back to the bench like a lot of Raptors writers/bloggers and fans expect then so be it. It won't be because he never had a fair chance to show what he could do as a starter.

If Johnson's career turns out as good as Lamar Odom's I will be more than happy about it.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

1. Kobe's father played in the NBA
                  2. Kobe plays for one of the elite franchises in the league
                  3. Comparing Davis to Kobe is insane
                  4. How many rookes from Div II colleges or some mediocre Division I program that are not lottery picks and don't have pedigree that are averaging 6 and 6 in 20 something games gets this kind of write up. Name me one. Go ahead.
                  1. What does Jelly Bean Bryant have to do with this? I'm aware his dad played NBA ball. Thats not why everyone thinks he's amazing, or why he gets all the pub that he does.

2. I am aware he plays for the Lakers. Again, not sure what your point is. He's not the type of player he is, because of LA...

3. How have I compared Kobe and Ed Davis? Pretty sure I didn't. What actually happened, was I made a ridiculous, sweeping statement that is so obvious on the surface and in substance, so as to show you how silly your comment about Davis was.

4. And if you read what has been said about Davis on the Rookie Ladder for MANY weeks now, you will see that not only are the Rookies behind him not that great, but the Ladder makes its very clear that his consistency is not what he up there for. Its for the numbers he puts up within that 20mins of PT, and because he is doing what many Rookies WISH to be doing, while having played in far less games and while having far less in-game experience.

I think a 'B', maaybe a 'B-' is probably more fair; all things considered.
                  But a difference of opinion is nothing new 'round these parts.

Comment

1. What does Jelly Bean Bryant have to do with this? I'm aware his dad played NBA ball. Thats not why everyone thinks he's amazing, or why he gets all the pub that he does.
                    half his press has been about rape and tasting shaq's ass. those championships are minor footnotes in his career compared to the glorious chapter that was "kobe, tell me how my ass taste"

Comment

2. I am aware he plays for the Lakers. Again, not sure what your point is. He's not the type of player he is, because of LA...

3. How have I compared Kobe and Ed Davis? Pretty sure I didn't. What actually happened, was I made a ridiculous, sweeping statement that is so obvious on the surface and in substance, so as to show you how silly your comment about Davis was.

4. And if you read what has been said about Davis on the Rookie Ladder for MANY weeks now, you will see that not only are the Rookies behind him not that great, but the Ladder makes its very clear that his consistency is not what he up there for. Its for the numbers he puts up within that 20mins of PT, and because he is doing what many Rookies WISH to be doing, while having played in far less games and while having far less in-game experience.

I think a 'B', maaybe a 'B-' is probably more fair; all things considered.
                      But a difference of opinion is nothing new 'round these parts.
                      If he had played in all 41 games I would give him a B- also but I ding him for not being able to play because of the injury.

Davis is only averaging 11 points per 36 minutes in only 24 games for half a NBA season.

Of all the players in the league who have played over 500 minutes he is 198th out of 202 in points per 36 minutes. That is not very good

The garbageman is at 153rd out of 202.

I would hope that Davis can eventually average more points per 36 minutes than the garbageman
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

gary neal, one spot ahead of him. went to towson, who are dead last in the colonial. not exactly UNC pedigree. albeit he's averaging 9 and 3 in 19 minutes rather than 6 and 6 in 20, but whatever. he bounced around europe for three years too, so he is the epitome of not hyped/not 'ESPN Pedigree'/whatever your point is (but he is also 5th in ESPN's rookie rankings on their awards watch fwiw)

also your original post is an incoherent rant about ESPN and I just can't figure out what the hell that has to do with NBA.com, which is the source multipaul linked to.

Comment

If he had played in all 41 games I would give him a B- also but I ding him for not being able to play because of the injury.

Davis is only averaging 11 points per 36 minutes in only 24 games for half a NBA season.

Of all the players in the league who have played over 500 minutes he is 198th out of 202 in points per 36 minutes. That is not very good

The garbageman is at 153rd out of 202.

I would hope that Davis can eventually average more points per 36 minutes than the garbageman
                          If scoring points were something the Raptors struggled to do, then yes, I would see that as a big problem.
                          But do you think Jay is telling Ed to go out there and get 20 points a game? No. I bet Jay has never even mentioned the Offensive side to him. Whatever points he gets is a bonus.
                          Its his defense and positioning that make him a special player and NBA.com has recognized that.

And how does a guy being injured HURT his overall grade for the year? If anything it should help, knowing that he has far less in-game experience than ANY other rookie on the board, and is still contributing at a higher level.
                          Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 19, 2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Good stuff. Davis' worst case is an above average role player. I think he has the talent to one day be an all-star.

Speaking of future all-stars, Paul George is going to be a beast. That kid is high on the talent meter.

Comment

You can write all of reviews of Ed Davis as you want, but the fact is, we haven't even seen the kid play half the season yet due to early injuries, so how deep can you really dig into his play so far to give a grade as low as C? His offence, yes, still very raw and needs some work, but offence is not what the raptors are in need of - it is obviously D, and as soon as he steps on the floor, his presence on D is felt, and Appolo, I hope you're right about future all-star for Davis, because that would be a huge help to the Raps
                              Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Working...
                              X