No announcement yet.

Lowry on the Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After what just happened with the Leafs,(luongo trade talks) and Burke maybe his has nothing to do with what Colangelo wants and more to do with what MLSE (bells/rogers) wants.

I could see the MLSE wanting Bryan to make something like this happen. The money doesnt work but it could be worked out. This would bring in TONS of cash for the MLSE and the ACC would be constantly sold out.

Gasol + Nash

for

Lowry + Bargnani

The Lakers biggest problem is age. They need some fresh legs in there.

The raps could then Resign Calderon for a reasonable salary and then we have veteran, pass first PG's running our team. Works well for the system and gets our young guys going for the next few years.

Raps
    Gasol/ Valnciunas
    Davis/ A.Johnson
    Fields/ Anderson
    Derozan/ Ross
    Nash/ Calderon

Very even line up with a nice mix of veterans.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
      After what just happened with the Leafs,(luongo trade talks) and Burke maybe his has nothing to do with what Colangelo wants and more to do with what MLSE (bells/rogers) wants.

I could see the MLSE wanting Bryan to make something like this happen. The money doesnt work but it could be worked out. This would bring in TONS of cash for the MLSE and the ACC would be constantly sold out.

Gasol + Nash

for

Lowry + Bargnani

The Lakers biggest problem is age. They need some fresh legs in there.

The raps could then Resign Calderon for a reasonable salary and then we have veteran, pass first PG's running our team. Works well for the system and gets our young guys going for the next few years.

Raps
      Gasol/ Valnciunas
      Davis/ A.Johnson
      Fields/ Anderson
      Derozan/ Ross
      Nash/ Calderon

Very even line up with a nice mix of veterans.
      I think you can completely forget about Jose resigning if he is yet again pushed into a back up role.

Comment

I dunno Calderon has lived in TO for 8 years now. He must have a lot of friends here at this point and could retire with this organization with some sort of a job coaching job immediately down the road. Plus his friend Gasol would be here.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          The fact Lowry has not meshed well in Toronto is not a slight on Lowry but a slight on Colangelo and the roster. Guys need to be spoon fed except Alan Anderson who seems, despite a lack of great size, speed, or athleticism, can get his shot at will. Believe it or not, I don't think Lowry is perfect but he is still a very talented NBA basketball player.... the best PLAYER on this team.
          Very True. I think that whether or not people give any credibility to the rumours around Lowry, or generally what people have said about him, it is never a good sign to have this chatter surrounding a player (let alone your best player whom you just traded a pick for). Could anyone have guessed at the beginning of this year, Jose would be starting ahead of another point guard who originally had that starters spot? Crazy to think about how many times we have gone through this.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            My first reaction is to chuckle.... Colangelo couldn't possibly move one of his key accusitions this quickly?

Then I thought of:

Kapono - 2 seasons
            O'Neil - 0.5 season
            Marion - 0.5 season
            Hedo - 1 season
            Johnsons - 1.5 seasons

Then I thought there is no way he'd move someone he just gave up a pick for?

Then I thought of:

17th pick for O'neil
            O'neil for Marion + protected first rounder

30th pick for James Johnsons
            James Johnson for 2nd rounder

Then I thought there is no way he'd make a PG move without ensuring the position was secure as Jose could walk after this season?

Then I thought of:

2008/09 season with Will Solomon and Roko Ukic and Bosh 2010

Then I thought there is no way he'd.....

Then I remember the GM is BC. My last reaction was to cry.
            lol - I'd cry too if I wasn't out of tears.

Don't forget about Fred Jones. That lasted about 3 months.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Marcus Smart is really giving the Chad Ford's and Jonathan Givony's wood of late. He is rising faster than a tent. Ford said when all said and done he thinks he'll be top 5.

Michael Carter-Williams is also rising fast at #8 on DraftExpress.com.

The guy I really like is Trey Burke and he is in that 15-20 range as of now.

Kabongo is looking early 2nd round but if he plays well, he is surely to rise when he returns.
              I also really like trey Burke, I think he'd work well here. My number 1 choice for point guard would be CJ McCollum. I've watched a lot of him at Lehigh and he's good defensively and is a great scorer. He gets overlooked a lot because Lehigh isn't a division 1 team. Not to mention he shit on Austin Rivers during march madness

Comment

well cant say im suprised.. i pointed out in the last game day thread that Lowrys body language screamed GET ME OUT OF HERE.

guess i was right. if they move him it better be for some REAL value or im going to be pissed.

for those who cant find the Lowry rumor..

"Toronto is perhaps the most realistic landing spot for Gasol, given the uncertainty in the organization about whether Andrea Bargnani will ever develop into a star there. Bargnani wouldn't have to be a star in LA. He would simply have to stand at the 3-point line and make shots, a La Howard's former teammate in Orlando, Ryan Anderson. Toronto also has a point-guard problem to solve. And while Jose Calderon has frequently been mentioned as trade bait, league sources say the Raptors are far more amenable to trading Kyle Lowry, who has not made many friends in his new surroundings. The Raptors gave up a sure lottery pick for him (which Houston subsequently sent to Oklahoma City in the James Harden trade), so Gasol might be a way to salvage that transaction. Plus, with the new CBA taking effect and shortening teams' windows for winning, a team like Toronto might feel better about committing 1½ seasons to Gasol than using its cap room this summer to sign a lesser player for four years"

"Kyle Lowry, who has quickly worn out his welcome in Toronto, could be an option for the Mavs or Hawks, who are both in need of point-guard help. With only $1 million guaranteed next season, Lowry would be a short-term fix without clogging up future cap space"
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                  I also really like trey Burke, I think he'd work well here. My number 1 choice for point guard would be CJ McCollum. I've watched a lot of him at Lehigh and he's good defensively and is a great scorer. He gets overlooked a lot because Lehigh isn't a division 1 team. Not to mention he shit on Austin Rivers during march madness
                  Do you mean a major D-1 team, because they are NCAA D1. They have played Baylor, Pitt, VCU, and are leading their league with a recent big win over Bucknell and their first round draft prospect Mike Muscala.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Yeah, I don't know how accurate the rumors are, but I do believe pretty much everyone on the team is on the block, except JV and Ross, and to a lesser degree Ed, Amir and Demar (mostly because of his extension, teams will wait on him til next year at least to see if he keeps improving into the extension). I think JV and Ross only get traded in franchise player type deals, so that's pretty much not happening. I don't think Ed and Amir are on the block but going back to last year, if we can get a good player back and the price is one of them, it'd be hard to say no, but that player has to be better than he would've been had the trade happened last year, given Ed's improvement.

Lowry: Was never convinced he was PG of the future, but thought he could have a chance to be. Was he worht a 1st rd pick to find out? I think so. Not saying he's a bust in Toronto, but I have a hard time seeing him as a long-term starter. The team just doesn't look as comfortable when he's out there. He's still too inconsistent. Sometimes Jose's shot doesn't drop, but he is super-consistent in how he leads the team every night. Consistency is needed more at PG than any other position.

All that said, whether we trade Lowry, or Jose, or both...they should both be useful alone or in packages for trades. Neither are playing poorly, and the issue here in TO isn't one of not liking the PGs we have, it's about securing the position, hopefully beyond just next season.

As for PGs of the future, at least draft-wise (assuming we have a pick)....
                    -I'll pass on CJ McCollum. He's only avereaging 2.9 assts...I know LeHigh ain't exactly Kentucky, but that's dreadful. I wonder if this is a bit of a Lillard effect, but Lillard was truly the exception to the rule in terms of small school player being worth a lottery pick, and it never would have happened if the PG position was deeper in the draft. I mean, he's a shoot first combo guard who is not particularly fast or athletic....Can't see that translating great.
                    -Intrigued by Carter-Williams, not just because of his size, but great vision. The concern is his scoring and D. Great size for a PG, but can he keep up? Also great size, but what's the use if you can't hit a jumper? Still, I think he's the only PG prospect I'd want in the 1st round.

Frankly, if we end up having a pick in this draft, I'd be open to drafting a SF like Otto Porter, or Alex Poythress

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, I don't know how accurate the rumors are, but I do believe pretty much everyone on the team is on the block, except JV and Ross, and to a lesser degree Ed, Amir and Demar (mostly because of his extension, teams will wait on him til next year at least to see if he keeps improving into the extension). I think JV and Ross only get traded in franchise player type deals, so that's pretty much not happening. I don't think Ed and Amir are on the block but going back to last year, if we can get a good player back and the price is one of them, it'd be hard to say no, but that player has to be better than he would've been had the trade happened last year, given Ed's improvement.

Lowry: Was never convinced he was PG of the future, but thought he could have a chance to be. Was he worht a 1st rd pick to find out? I think so. Not saying he's a bust in Toronto, but I have a hard time seeing him as a long-term starter. The team just doesn't look as comfortable when he's out there. He's still too inconsistent. Sometimes Jose's shot doesn't drop, but he is super-consistent in how he leads the team every night. Consistency is needed more at PG than any other position.

All that said, whether we trade Lowry, or Jose, or both...they should both be useful alone or in packages for trades. Neither are playing poorly, and the issue here in TO isn't one of not liking the PGs we have, it's about securing the position, hopefully beyond just next season.

As for PGs of the future, at least draft-wise (assuming we have a pick)....
                      -I'll pass on CJ McCollum. He's only avereaging 2.9 assts...I know LeHigh ain't exactly Kentucky, but that's dreadful. I wonder if this is a bit of a Lillard effect, but Lillard was truly the exception to the rule in terms of small school player being worth a lottery pick, and it never would have happened if the PG position was deeper in the draft. I mean, he's a shoot first combo guard who is not particularly fast or athletic....Can't see that translating great.
                      -Intrigued by Carter-Williams, not just because of his size, but great vision. The concern is his scoring and D. Great size for a PG, but can he keep up? Also great size, but what's the use if you can't hit a jumper? Still, I think he's the only PG prospect I'd want in the 1st round.

Frankly, if we end up having a pick in this draft, I'd be open to drafting a SF like Otto Porter, or Alex Poythress
                      There have been a number of great players coming from small schools. Most recent coming to mind: Steph Curry.

As for Porter, I agree. 2 guys I like in this draft outside of the top5 are Burke and Porter.

Comment

seems this rumor is gaining steam! its now on RealGM aswell..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Over_Calderon

if J.Smith was willing to sign a max extention with the Raps who would appose trading lowry in a package for JSmoove?? seems he wants max$ & has no real preferance right now as to the team..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Level_Contract

I would def. have to look at the option if i were BC..

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          seems this rumor is gaining steam! its now on RealGM aswell..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Over_Calderon

if J.Smith was willing to sign a max extention with the Raps who would appose trading lowry in a package for JSmoove?? seems he wants max$ & has no real preferance right now as to the team..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Level_Contract

I would def. have to look at the option if i were BC..
                          I'm a very big Josh Smith fan. And while there are fair question about his decision making, his talent and diverse ability as a player just can't be ignored. He's been stiffed from all-star appearances far too much and he should have been a regular on the team for years. On top of that he's just alot of fun to watch (when he's not jacking bad shots ofcourse).

All that said paying him a max salary, considering at the very least where this team is right now, is just a big no thank you to me.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                            I'm a very big Josh Smith fan. And while there are fair question about his decision making, his talent and diverse ability as a player just can't be ignored. He's been stiffed from all-star appearances far too much and he should have been a regular on the team for years. On top of that he's just alot of fun to watch (when he's not jacking bad shots ofcourse).

All that said paying him a max salary, considering at the very least where this team is right now, is just a big no thank you to me.
                            I thought someone had hijacked your keyboard until the last sentence.

I agree. I don't blame the guy looking for a max deal but I would hope and pray it is not Toronto giving him one. I'd rather pay Millsap $11-12M and know you aren't going to get questionable effort, poor decisions, and primadonna "I-want-to-win-now!" behaviour.

Comment

I wonder if we could trade Kyle Lowry for Ricky Rubio ? Just a thought. His game is very similar to Calderon and with Joses guidance I think Rubio could do well on our team.

Or maybe this is just history repeating itself.

It would give us a nice young core of players though:

Valanciunas, Derozan, Boss Davis, Ross, Rubio

Amir Johnson, Fields,

Comment

Ughhh, if they trade Lowry, they better get one heck of a return

Comment

Working...
                                X