TV Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Help

Hey, I'm looking to get a new TV, but the problem is, I don't know much about them. Anyone have any recommendations on what kind I should get or perhaps any deals you know about anywhere?

What I know so far is that I want it to be a between 40-55", and I hear that on a TV that size it's recommended to get 1080p. From what I've seen, LED-backlit seems to be the best, still, I'm open to any opinions. Price range is pretty flexible, so just tell me your thoughts, and who knows, maybe the thread will help other people too.

Thanks in advance.

From what I have read, if you are going to be in a "man cave" environment (basement, with the ability to blackout windows) then plasma is great - great picture, less expensive) but if you are going to be in a living room with a picture windo and drapes, like most, then LED is preferable. Ask the store if you can bring the set back if irt doesn't work in your situation. Most of the big stores will say yes. Best prices in my are are Costco.

Comment

Yeah, it's in a big living room.. And has a huge sliding glass door right next to it that leads to balcony, so a lot of sunlight will shine through, that's why I'm thinking LED. I also heard they conserve energy which is always good.

TV's are really annoying to buy, there are so many different kinds. I'm thinking brand wise it'll probably be Samsung.. I'm thinking brands like LG that are a little cheaper will probably not last as long which is what concerns me.. I'd like it to last a few years if I'm paying like $1000, you know?

Comment

Not sure what kind of sales there are in your area, but here in Toronto the big box stores are always having sales on TV's, electronics etc. So if your patient enough you should come across a great deal. I recently bought a 60" Sharp Quattron-which normally retails for about $2100-$2300 depending on where you go-for only $1300 NET. It was a steal. Now you should know the Sharp Quattro is easily one of the better tv's out there right now. It's an LED type, with 1080p resolution.

If your going for quality and are willing to spend a few extra bucks I would recommend either a Sony, Sharp or Samsung.

Comment

Buy a Samsung LED. I have a 46" LED in my room its great

Comment

if you're really looking for a deal and aren't willing to trust a site like quibids, you're best bet is to get one of those marked down one's either because they have a nick on them or they are a demo, i just got 2 tv's, samsung for just over 750 because one was off the floor and was a demo and the other was "damaged" and they both work great, ones 52 i think plasma and the other is i beleive a 46 and its led. im completely blank on where i got it, but, if i remember i'll post it. but make sure to look for deals because of demos and such.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
              Not sure what kind of sales there are in your area, but here in Toronto the big box stores are always having sales on TV's, electronics etc. So if your patient enough you should come across a great deal. I recently bought a 60" Sharp Quattron-which normally retails for about $2100-$2300 depending on where you go-for only $1300 NET. It was a steal. Now you should know the Sharp Quattro is easily one of the better tv's out there right now. It's an LED type, with 1080p resolution.

If your going for quality and are willing to spend a few extra bucks I would recommend either a Sony, Sharp or Samsung.
              it's quite funny you say that because i just bought two samsungs as i said in my last post probably for damn cheap
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post

Yeah, that is a good deal.. I really do want to get one of the better brands, like I mentioned, so I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm all for looking for deals, but the problem is that I'm moving to Montreal next week so I can't bring much stuff out there, and that includes my TV so I'd be without one for a while if I waited for a deal, unless I got a smaller secondary TV first and used as my primary TV until I found a deal, then used the other TV for the bedroom. That is plausible, but you know the other side of the coin is what if I'm waiting for a deal that doesn't come

LBF wrote: View Post
                if you're really looking for a deal and aren't willing to trust a site like quibids, you're best bet is to get one of those marked down one's either because they have a nick on them or they are a demo, i just got 2 tv's, samsung for just over 750 because one was off the floor and was a demo and the other was "damaged" and they both work great, ones 52 i think plasma and the other is i beleive a 46 and its led. im completely blank on where i got it, but, if i remember i'll post it. but make sure to look for deals because of demos and such.
                That sounds like a good idea as well, but how would you buy one of these? Do you ask about purchasing the demos? or are they already on the shelf, just marked down?

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, that is a good deal.. I really do want to get one of the better brands, like I mentioned, so I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm all for looking for deals, but the problem is that I'm moving to Montreal next week so I can't bring much stuff out there, and that includes my TV so I'd be without one for a while if I waited for a deal, unless I got a smaller secondary TV first and used as my primary TV until I found a deal, then used the other TV for the bedroom. That is plausible, but you know the other side of the coin is what if I'm waiting for a deal that doesn't come

That sounds like a good idea as well, but how would you buy one of these? Do you ask about purchasing the demos? or are they already on the shelf, just marked down?
                  the sales rep are usually always trying to find ways to get you to buy. because they get a bonus for every sale or w/e. so, you just look around at tvs and wait for one of those goons to come around and Ask about the differences of each tv and such. the demos are usually the ones off the floor and as i said. theyll prolly sell it to you for the commission. btw, plasma is cheap and has the better picture, but it seems its out of the question unless you buy some blinds. go with lcd, but make sure to get a name brand like sony, id suggest samsung as the best of the regular priced ones and tue best bang for your buck unless you go high end. lg is pretty good quslity, although they have been known to conk out and needrepairs at least once a year. i dont think they charge you if you have a lengthy wArranty. to sum it all up samsung is my first choice and lg my second and lcd sounds best for your situation. then again your moving to a whole nother province, so i imagine the deals may be different. i found certain things to be cheaper and certAin things to be more expensive when i went to quebec. but that was quite a few years back, i imagine there is still creepy ass street performers that will rape and kill you, if you dont tip them during the show. but, thats getting off topic

Comment

hahah, thanks for the help. I'll try and squeeze out a deal somewhere. I also heard people have problems with LG, so even though they're slightly cheaper than Samsung, I think I'd prefer Samsung just because it's a more trusted brand.. I don't want to go too long without a TV, but I'll try not and get roped into a crappy deal either. I've been looking at prices so I know what's fair, so I think I'll be able to find something pretty quick

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                      Hey, I'm looking to get a new TV, but the problem is, I don't know much about them. Anyone have any recommendations on what kind I should get or perhaps any deals you know about anywhere?

What I know so far is that I want it to be a between 40-55", and I hear that on a TV that size it's recommended to get 1080p. From what I've seen, LED-backlit seems to be the best, still, I'm open to any opinions. Price range is pretty flexible, so just tell me your thoughts, and who knows, maybe the thread will help other people too.

Thanks in advance.
                      I have a 1080p, had it since 2009, and still there is very little offered in 1080 these days. Most HD channels are 720 and I think either Xbox or PS is still in 720(I think). Really where 1080 comes in handy right now is blu ray. I'm no TV expert but this is one area where I think it warrants to spend a little more for a higher brandname. A lot of the cheaper TV's you might see at a place like Wal-Mart or Costco aren't going to last nearly as long as a Sony Bravia. I've had my Bravia since '09(and had a Sony before that) and I only have one, just one, pixel gone and most of the time you don't even notice it at all. It might come down to paying a little more now for a longer term investment or get a better deal and start looking again in three years.

Comment

ps3 is full 1080p and it has a blu ray player built in...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          A lot of the cheaper TV's you might see at a place like Wal-Mart or Costco aren't going to last nearly as long as a Sony Bravia. I've had my Bravia since '09(and had a Sony before that) and I only have one, just one, pixel gone and most of the time you don't even notice it at all.
                          hey now... don't hate on Costco... They got Sonys

but ya, if you're going to buy something new.. and you have the scratch to not be cheap... don't stray from the Big 3... or the 3 S's... whatever you want to call them... Sony, Samsung, Sharp

everything else really is drinking Sobey's Compliments brand "Doctor Zip" pop... when you know you REALLY want a Doctor Pepper

Comment

LOL, so does Wal-Mart but they also carry a lot of "value brands" which might look like a great deal and might work out great but you're far more open to the scenario of the TV failing shortly after warranty than on a Sony for example.

Good list. Those are the big three alright. It's worth a little extra coin if you're going to use it a lot.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              LOL, so does Wal-Mart but they also carry a lot of "value brands" which might look like a great deal and might work out great but you're far more open to the scenario of the TV failing shortly after warranty than on a Sony for example.
                              Completely unrelated, and by no means is it a indictment of sony... they make fine products.. just something that came to mind

a friend's sony tv broke down literally ONE DAY after his warranty ended... and this was back in the day of CRTs... getting it repaired would have actually cost him more than he paid for it

Comment

Working...
                              X