Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Hey Guys,
    Those of you who are thinking we may land Andrew Wiggins in next year's draft (Crazy, I know ...):
    Who says he'd want to play for the Raptors?? I mean who was the last Canadian athlete who wanted to play for a Canadian team (and forego money, weather, family and other factors in favor of playing for a Canadian team)??

- Did Steve Nash call BC to offer his services (even on the twilight of his career?)??
    - Did Jamaal Magloire want to come to T.O. (even when he was a shadow of JM we got to see a few years back)?? He only showed up when the soup was being served ...
    - Tristan, Carl , ....

Should I keep listing the names or do I have you thinking already that perhaps these athletes have plans of their own and if the Raptors happen to be in line with those plans, then MAYBE.
    But for us Raptors fans who honestly deserve better (specially when marketed as 'Canada's team'!!), should we even bother thinking about Andrew Wiggins at this point??
    I for one am fed up with being sold 'hope' ... until BC and company are here, mediocrity is sold to us at the price of luxury tax.

I say NO , we won't get Andrew Wiggins and we should not even go there ... what do you think?

1/15 chance on geting him and 14/15 on not geting him. People want to have hope, reason to believe, why to take it away from these fans, it's the least you can give them. Plus, logical error in your statement, it's not up to Wiggins, Tristan, if they want to play here or not, it's up to ping pong balls.
    Saying NO is wrong because as I mentioned, there is theoretical chance, pretty pointless topic :/
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Well, if anything, the history of this team has shown that people like Alonzo Morning and some draft prospects have refused to show up for work. In other words, if AW does not come for any of the pre-draft work-outs, what does that say??
      Could you have 'forced' LJ to wear the dino's purple? Doubt that ...

Comment

I think most athletes, regardless of the country or sport, would love to realize their childhood dream of playing for the team they grew up rooting for. The difference between a kid like Wiggins and those older players, is that Wiggins grew up as a Raptors fan, whereas the Raptors didn't even exist when guys like Nash and Magloire were first getting into basketball, both as a fan and as a player.

How many Canadian kids under 20-25 years old have started playing basketball because of the Raptors? How many young Canadian ballers only picked up a basketball because they wanted to be Mighty Mouse taking down Jordan's Bulls, or Vinsanity winning the dunk contest, or CB4 leading the team back to the playoffs?

Reality is a lot different for the 25-and-under generation of Canadian kids, with the Raptors providing a 'hometown' team to cheer for and players to aspire to become. Personally, I could care less about nationality, I just want to build the best possible Raptors team, so that I can witness a Raptors championship in my lifetime!

Comment

extremely poor thread, even for a highschool student.

Comment

Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
            When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?

Comment

RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
              Well, if anything, the history of this team has shown that people like Alonzo Morning and some draft prospects have refused to show up for work. In other words, if AW does not come for any of the pre-draft work-outs, what does that say??
              What? I don't think this is true. As for Mourning, if I busted my ass to come back from a kidney disease and transplant, signed with a contender and then got traded away as filler in a trade, I wouldn't be too happy. I don't think it really had much to do with it being Toronto, as much as Toronto was going in the opposite direction of where a guy, who literally has to take his career year-to-year because of medical issues, wants to go.

The only stupid guys who refused to report other than that.....was just Kenny Anderson (and again, in a trade, not the draft)? Well, his career didn't really prosper. In fact, Steve Francis not going to Vancouver was by far the biggest deal draft-wise, and Steve Francis was a total moron that no team wanted to keep in the long run and eventually washed out of the league...despite being arguably the most talented "combo" guard of the last 3 decades.

Guys who refuse to report usually either have a pretty sound reason that has little to do with geography, or they're total idiots who will probably struggle to be keepers no matter where they go.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5, 2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

But the fact remains that they chose where to work and no one could change that (then and now).
                If Mourning had kidney issues, he could have come here and be on the injured list. I didn't see him (or Hakeem for that matter) play sick when they got their paycheques, did they?

We did have 'morons' who at least showed up for work and then left (so that their kids can get an American education ...) .
                But I don't think we could have 'forced' LJ to put on a Raptors jersey.

Comment

When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?
                  i.imgur.com/vMpmfH8l.jpg

Comment

Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

And seriously, this is not a good argument. He went to Cleveland!!!! Fucking worst city in the world, Cleveland?!?! I know it's HIS hometown, so it clearly didn't bug him, but I don't think he necessarily wanted to go there. I don't mean to offend anyone from Cleveland, but I'm sure I probably am. It's probably in the bottom 10, if not 5, in terms of NBA locations. It's definitely not the place you want to be when you're stinkin rich and in your 20s. It's a boring city with bad weather, bad shopping and is culturally poor.

I'm sure Lebron would've gone anywhere as a rookie, because he would make any team instantly legitimate and popular. I don't think you realize that in that draft year, we still had Vince coming back. Could you freakin imagine how happy Lebron and Vince would've been to play together at that time, while Vince was still in his prime? That would've obviously been the best wing tandem of all-time, at least for viewing pleasure.

Comment

Am I missing the point or there a guy with a raptors cap sitting in the crowd?
                        What I am looking for is a statement that cannot be misinterpreted ; something like this coming from Nash's mouth at his prime (not in junior high or after losing two legs to shark attack)
                        "I grew up watching the Raptors and would love to be drafted by them and realize my dreams ..."

The fact that TRoss showed up when the Leafs are playing does not make a statement ...

Comment

What I am looking for is a statement that cannot be misinterpreted ; something like this coming from Nash's mouth at his prime (not in junior high or after losing two legs to shark attack)
                          "I grew up watching the Raptors and would love to be drafted by them and realize my dreams ..."

The fact that TRoss showed up when the Leafs are playing does not make a statement ...
                          you're missing the point

Comment

That's Wiggins supporting the hometown team he loves. Isn't that what you were looking for as 'proof'?

Magloire also stated that he was thrilled to be able to play for the Raptors, when he did finally 'come home' and voluntarily sign with the franchise.

It could easily be pointed out as well that there is no 'proof' that any Canadian players don't want to play for the Raptors. All the evidence you've used is as circumstantial and unsubstantiated as any 'proof' that there are now Canadian players that would love the chance to wear a Raptors jersey.

Comment

Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
                              That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
                              And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
                              Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..

Comment

Working...
                              X