This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skywalker wrote: View Post
    I'm probably misunderstanding this, but can't a team that's over the cap now, still extend 2 players currently on the roster for the following season in the off season?

The rule states "At the end of the year you are allowed to two sign players on your roster to an extension for as many years as you want provided you remain under cap. This decision must be made prior to the draft."

I'm reading 'under the cap' in terms of my 2013-14 cap.. is that right? OR is the rule saying you can only extend 2 players if you have 'current' cap space. If it is the latter, only drizz, joey, and appollo are under the cap.
    What Joey is now saying to koncept is the opposite of skywalker's interpretation and my own.

Those two players you assign 2013-14 cap space to - assuming you have 2013-14 cap space - should never have an opportunity for another team to obtain via free agency.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      This is not my understanding of the rule.

My understanding is prior to the draft you are permitted to extend 2 players on your team from your 2013-14 cap space.... it is kind of a form of Bird Rights BUT you need to have the cap space. Key thing is you have the ability to ensure 2 players don't hit free agency.

Those 2 players never see free agency because they have been extended.
      Except koncept was over the cap when he signed these players according to his question. Therefore they are automatically unrestricated free-agents at the end of the Season. Has nothing with how much space he will have next season.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      What Joey is now saying to koncept is the opposite of skywalker's interpretation and my own.

Those two players you assign 2013-14 cap space to - assuming you have 2013-14 cap space - should never have an opportunity for another team to obtain via free agency.
      Actually thats not what I'm saying to koncept... koncepts scenario was signing two players after he was maxed out, and then wanting to re-sign those same two players.

While he still has the right to extent two of his players, the two that he signed while maxed out are unrestricted come this off-season.
      Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

You asked people's opinions.

I've given mine.
        And I appreciate it. Not sure why you feel this was an issue ..?

Matt52 wrote:
        As I've said, I'll roll with majority but I'm not in favour of changing rules.
        You're not in favour of any rule changes? Or just this particular rule change?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Except koncept was over the cap when he signed these players according to his question. Therefore they are automatically unrestricated free-agents at the end of the Season. Has nothing with how much space he will have next season.

Actually thats not what I'm saying to koncept... koncepts scenario was signing two players after he was maxed out, and then wanting to re-sign those same two players.

While he still has the right to extent two of his players, the two that he signed while maxed out are unrestricted come this off-season.
          After.... that makes more sense.

Comment

And I appreciate it. Not sure why you feel this was an issue ..?

Your replies sound like someone who asks a question and is not happy with the response.

If you are asking for opinions after you gave why you feel the rule change should take place and then replying to the response with the same arguments you originally made, well, I'm not sure why you asked for opinions in the first place.... especially when this is a rule change that directly benefits you.

I am not in favour of any new rule change that is going to give a minority of people an advantage over the majority of people who have set their rosters based on the old rules. Deciding to change the rules to make a benefit after the fact does not sit well with me.

Comment

After.... that makes more sense.
              Indeed.

If you are asking for opinions after you gave why you feel the rule change should take place and then replying to the response with the same arguments you originally made, well, I'm not sure why you asked for opinions in the first place.... especially when this is a rule change that directly benefits you.
              Was just trying to have a discussion on the matter. Apologies.

And I'm sorry you feel like this is just so I can get an upper hand, and not because I am trying to make things far more realistic and fair for everybody.

I am not in favour of any new rule change that is going to give a minority of people an advantage over the majority of people who have set their rosters based on the old rules. Deciding to change the rules to make a benefit after the fact does not sit well with me.
              Ok, you are completely missing my point at this point. And thats unfortunate.
              And I don't appreciate how you are making this seem like I am just looking to cheat the system or whatever it is you are implying.

I am simply looking to fix a broken system.
              And there are 2 others who agree something should be done.
              Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Indeed.

Was just trying to have a discussion on the matter. Apologies.

And I'm sorry you feel like this is just so I can get an upper hand, and not because I am trying to make things far more realistic and fair for everybody.

Ok, you are completely missing my point at this point. And thats unfortunate.
                And I don't appreciate how you are making this seem like I am just looking to cheat the system or whatever it is you are implying.

I am simply looking to fix a broken system.
                And there are 2 others who agree something should be done.
                Sorry when you ask for an opinion and you respond back after you stated your case by putting in your own arguments AGAIN I must have misinterpreted something along the way.

I'm not sure how I missed your point when you asked:

Once again I gave an answer after you asked a question.

The system is broke IN YOUR OPINION. I don't see an issue with the way things are. There are benefits to staying under the cap and you want to take the benefit for going over the cap and give it to people under it as well. In the NBA people who go over the cap get exceptions and minimum contracts to add salary. Still with the NBA, if you want to have the exceptions you need to renounce your cap space; if you want to have cap space you need to renounce your exceptions. You are proposing to make a double jeopardy type situation by having unlimited add/drops under the cap AND trade benefits when people over the cap adding/dropping are already risking losing any player to free agency and can't take back anymore years than they send out.

I'm all for keeping it as real as possible, clearly we have a difference of opinion on what is real and fair.

And as I said in the original reply if the majority want the change I am fine with it. Count me as a no.

Comment

• I'm not really in favour of changing this rule either.
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• I'm not in favour of the proposed rule change, however I do believe there isn't enough of a penalty for going over the cap during the season.

Comment

• Here is a thought for a rule change:

If you drop (i.e. waive) a guy with multiple years left on his contract, the team that picks him up has to assume the contract and therefore have the cap space to pick him up.

If a team picks him up off waivers, the original owner is free from the contract.

If the player is not picked up off waivers the original owner is stuck with the contract and the player is now a free agent for first come first serve.

That is keeping it real.

Comment

Here is a thought for a rule change:

If you drop (i.e. waive) a guy with multiple years left on his contract, the team that picks him up has to assume the contract and therefore have the cap space to pick him up.

If a team picks him up off waivers, the original owner is free from the contract.

If the player is not picked up off waivers the original owner is stuck with the contract and the player is now a free agent for first come first serve.

That is keeping it real.
                        Wasn't a similar rule already discussed and turned down? I thought someone had brought up that if you drop a player with 3 years for example another and another person picked him up off the WW, the amount of years the other person picks him up for is then subtracted off your total cap space.(i.e. you're at 40 years drop a guy with 3 years, someone signs him for 2 years, you're now at 38) and then once the player becomes a free agent his contract can no longer be subtracted from your total. I think the problem was that would be hard to monitor and account for so the rule stayed the same.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                          Wasn't a similar rule already discussed and turned down? I thought someone had brought up that if you drop a player with 3 years for example another and another person picked him up off the WW, the amount of years the other person picks him up for is then subtracted off your total cap space.(i.e. you're at 40 years drop a guy with 3 years, someone signs him for 2 years, you're now at 38) and then once the player becomes a free agent his contract can no longer be subtracted from your total. I think the problem was that would be hard to monitor and account for so the rule stayed the same.
                          If you drop a guy with 3 years and someone else picks him up, they need to have 3 years in cap space to do so.

The following season he has 2 years remaining.

The person who dropped him has 3 years subtracted off this year and 2 for the following year.

If he is not picked up then the contract stays with the dropper.

I honestly don't give a shit just trying to think of ways to add benefit to the people below the cap.

Reality is this is not going to happen very often as dropping guys with years happens very rarely and when it does it is usually due to injury.

Comment

• A Big Congratulations to Everyone for a Successful Inaugural Season!!

The matchups are set! Good luck to everyone in the playoffs, and to everyone who missed out on the playoffs, Best of luck in next seasons draft!!

Round 1

(1)drizz vs. (8)Soft Euro

(2)Apollo vs. (7)WJF

(3)SKYWALKERS vs. (6)joey_heskethMONSTARS

(4)Matt52 vs. (5)Tucas

Comment

A Big Congratulations to Everyone for a Successful Inaugural Season!!

The matchups are set! Good luck to everyone in the playoffs, and to everyone who missed out on the playoffs, Best of luck in next seasons draft!!

Round 1

(1)drizz vs. (8)Soft Euro

(2)Apollo vs. (7)WJF

(3)SKYWALKERS vs. (6)joey_heskethMONSTARS

(4)Matt52 vs. (5)Tucas
                              Lol damn I can't believe I'm 5th instead of second because of a virtual coin flip. Now I know how the raptors feel.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                                Lol damn I can't believe I'm 5th instead of second because of a virtual coin flip. Now I know how the raptors feel.
                                How do you figure you could be 2nd when theres .. at least 3 people, maybe 4 (depends how you look at ties) with better records than you? Haha

You want something to complain about, how about me finishing with the same record as you; beating you during the regular season, and still I'm ranked lower than you. Explain that one. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X