Carter in, Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter in, Calderon?

Does anyone else think that calderon is finished with the acquisition of carter?
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

No. Carter is a third string PG, and the Raptors were looking for a third string PG.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      No. Carter is a third string PG, and the Raptors were looking for a third string PG.
      yep... hes Derrick Martin 2.0 LOL

Comment

Did anyone else think Carter was 36 when he first got to the league 12 years ago?? He still looks the exact same though!

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
          Does anyone else think that calderon is finished with the acquisition of carter?
          A bit delusional since Calderon is around the 30th best player at his position in the league and Carter is around the 90th lol.

With the compacted season and Calderon's inevitable injury absences we need a 3rd guard (unless they give Barbie those minutes like last year).
          When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Yeah...ummm...have you seen Anthony Carter play recently? Why do people knock on Calderon so much? Yes he's got his weaknesses but there are very few PGs who are solid man defenders, since it's the position with the best dribble drivers in the game. Ok, so he's not what we hoped when Toronto signed him to a good contract, but even then it's not an insanely huge contract for a guy who was top 5 in assists last year, and is always among the best in ast-TO and percentages. It's time for people to live with the fact that unless you can land a rare gem like Chris Paul or Deron Williams, there aren't many better PGs out there at the same price. I'd take Calderon over several 'starting' PGs in the league who couldn't pass it to a giraffe standing at the rim (mo williams, jameer nelson, i'm looking at you 2) Do I think Calderon is our best option for the future?...probably not...I also don't see a realistic way to improve the position without getting some luck like a miraculous improvement at running an offense from Bayless, stumbling into a trade if for some reason Stern thinks CP3 belongs in Toronto, or getting a good PG through the draft. Truth is there aren't a lot of veterans with his talent level, and anyone younger would involve gutting our team to get.

Comment

Absolutely not. They needed a third PG. Calderon may be the best PG still on roster. We shall see...

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Yeah...ummm...have you seen Anthony Carter play recently? Why do people knock on Calderon so much? Yes he's got his weaknesses but there are very few PGs who are solid man defenders, since it's the position with the best dribble drivers in the game. Ok, so he's not what we hoped when Toronto signed him to a good contract, but even then it's not an insanely huge contract for a guy who was top 5 in assists last year, and is always among the best in ast-TO and percentages. It's time for people to live with the fact that unless you can land a rare gem like Chris Paul or Deron Williams, there aren't many better PGs out there at the same price. I'd take Calderon over several 'starting' PGs in the league who couldn't pass it to a giraffe standing at the rim (mo williams, jameer nelson, i'm looking at you 2) Do I think Calderon is our best option for the future?...probably not...I also don't see a realistic way to improve the position without getting some luck like a miraculous improvement at running an offense from Bayless, stumbling into a trade if for some reason Stern thinks CP3 belongs in Toronto, or getting a good PG through the draft. Truth is there aren't a lot of veterans with his talent level, and anyone younger would involve gutting our team to get.
                Calderon's defensive shortcomings as well as his hamstring woes have been well-documented and beaten to death around here. My main concern here is his shooting. He can't even keep defenders honest anymore and literally can leave him open at times. Yea, the contract sucks but I'd like to see him as a mentor to Bayless more than anything else. Bayless isn't my ideal distributor either but he his high on potential (just see his numbers when he did start last year). Oh, and Bayless' defence isn't stellar either, just saying.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  Calderon's defensive shortcomings as well as his hamstring woes have been well-documented and beaten to death around here. My main concern here is his shooting. ...
                  His second year with Toronto he shot 50% form 3 pt land. Then it dropped to 30%. back up to 36% in 09/10 and last year was 17%. I wonder if his bad shooting has been related to his hamstring injury. He has spent the last few seasons playing hurt. This time off, and having a 3rd point guard might see a resurgence.

Comment

Calderon's defensive shortcomings as well as his hamstring woes have been well-documented and beaten to death around here. My main concern here is his shooting. He can't even keep defenders honest anymore and literally can leave him open at times. Yea, the contract sucks but I'd like to see him as a mentor to Bayless more than anything else. Bayless isn't my ideal distributor either but he his high on potential (just see his numbers when he did start last year). Oh, and Bayless' defence isn't stellar either, just saying.
                    Meh, Calderon has had one average % season for a PG and that was last year (not counting the first 2 where he was still really struggling from long range). It was also the first year Bosh wasn't on the other side of the pick and roll. I think there's at least some relation. Bosh would attract a lot of attention....Bargs is left alone to shoot because he does it even more than Bosh. Anyway, I'm not especially worried about his shooting, but I agree that if he can't keep the D honest, especially knocking down 3s, than it's very frustrating to basically have a guy who's only skill is passing. That being said, I don't know where Bayless will end up game-wise. He still struggles way too much to run the team's offense. And he has way too hard a time not committing fouls for a PG. And it's not like he was a rookie last year. I know he was used...sporadically I suppose is the best word for how McMillan uses pretty much all his young players, but he also showed flashes there and still hasn't really improved on his weaknesses. With his kind of talent though it shouldn't be such a struggle and I'm just starting to wonder if he's way too overconfident in himself.

I think the problem is once again that we have 2 good back/fringe starting PGs. Bayless reminds me a lot of a guy like Bobby Jackson and if he can't improve his smarts on the floor on both ends, that's the kind of role that'll always suit him: 6th man/scoring wing off the bench. Calderon I have a harder time finding a comparison as a backup, but really he's the kind of guy you can start on a team because he gets everyone involved, but is ideally suited to his backup role of a few years ago: keeping control of the pace, meshing with whoever's on the floor with you and knocking down open shots. Obviously asking him to do this for full starters minutes exposes his weaknesses and kills his hammies.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about Bayless' little run at the end of the year: it was the end of the year.

Jamaal Magloire grabbed 19 rebounds in the last game of the year. The last 2 weeks of the season, unless you are in a tight race or jockeying for playoff position are a write off. 14 teams have nothing to play for and at least half the playoff teams have their seed locked up.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I say give Bayless the nod and let him show what he can do. Anthony carter will scream in his ear if he doesn't play well,so we got nothin to worry about.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                          One thing to keep in mind about Bayless' little run at the end of the year: it was the end of the year.

Jamaal Magloire grabbed 19 rebounds in the last game of the year. The last 2 weeks of the season, unless you are in a tight race or jockeying for playoff position are a write off. 14 teams have nothing to play for and at least half the playoff teams have their seed locked up.
                          Versus? The Raptors!

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                            A bit delusional since Calderon is around the 30th best player at his position in the league and Carter is around the 90th lol.

With the compacted season and Calderon's inevitable injury absences we need a 3rd guard (unless they give Barbie those minutes like last year).
                            30th best pg? lol, calderon is far better than the 30th best g in the nba
                            "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

30th best pg? lol, calderon is far better than the 30th best g in the nba
                              I can probably come up with 15-20 names I'd rather have than Calderon.

BTW, I think the assist-turnover ratio stat is one of the most pointless stats in basketball. Who would you rather have?

1) A player who averages 12 assists and 4 turnovers (3:1 ratio)
                              OR
                              2) A player who averages 3 assists and 0.5 turnovers (6:1 ratio)

Comment

Working...
                              X