Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do You (Personally) Care So Much About The Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive adopted the team. I grew up in Toronto, so when my dad would take me to see sports, he would take me to see the raptors. Now this is my team. Ive been through so much raptor history that it feels partially like my own history.

And you know, when you sit through all the shitty seasons, you still get attached to player development and to the general trajectory of the team. Why? I guess there is some searching for a specific satisfaction, to sit there when the Raptors do become relevant with the players that you saw grow up on the trajectory and history that you experienced with them. I would say that every shitty season just builds up the suspense, builds the depth and meaning in one's fan-ship, and is the ruler to measure band-wagoners with.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I think a good question is... If there was another nba team in Canada, would you support both teams or just root for the Raps cos they're like "the first child"? It would almost be like a Lakers/Clippers senario...

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        I think what made me a huge fan was 2000-01. I've been a fan since the franchise started but I was there for that playoff run. I remember random fans at the ACC hugging and dancing in the aisles as Vince rained threes on the Sixers. I remember travelling to Philly for Game 7 and getting pelted with beer and pop and peanuts and hot dogs. I remember Oakley's costly behind the back passes and his brutal missed layup (the biggest missed layup in Raptors history). I remember standing right behind VC as he rose up, watching the shot and thinking we were going to the NBA finals....

That run was the most I've ever cared about a team. So, even though the organization has made me dead inside in the years since, I'll always cheer for them cause of that month.
        That series vs Philly was electric....game 3 especially. If Raptors ever got back to that point ....wow5

Comment

that`s simple: the day i became a raptors fan, was this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdPlXuHIq1s

i was a chicago bulls fan during the jordan era and that was the first time i started watching basketball. when they played the raptors during their epic 72 win season, and they lost, i was, "yo, those purple t-rexes are bad ass" they sucked that season, but they were #2 in my books, until jordan retired and then they became my favourite team and i just always cared about them
          Protocall
          https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
          http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Comment

Rapzilla wrote: View Post
            I think a good question is... If there was another nba team in Canada, would you support both teams or just root for the Raps cos they're like "the first child"? It would almost be like a Lakers/Clippers senario...
            oh, no you don't! Start your own thread, buster..There's enough hi-jacked threads already..haha
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I have no clue. I just do.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                I have no clue. I just do.
                If you have no clue. You may want to look into that..it's not like cheese where you can just like it cause you do. There has to be a reason or several..
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Because growing up they were the only team who's games I could find on television on a regular basis. And ever since then I've been attached. And I imagine I will be the happiest guy ever the day they finally start winning so it's something to look forward too lol
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

It has always been simple. I love basketball, the Raptors play basketball and are on TV. Didn't take too long to get hooked. Even though I don't live in Toronto (thank god for that ) the Raps are my team through and through.

It will be all the sweeter when this team finally reaches the pinnacle. As a Baltimore Ravens fan, I got to live that joy this year (12 years seems a long time, then I remember the Raptors...) and know that when the Raptors finally reach that point, it will be joyous.

But like Bane said in the Dark Knight, "without hope there cannot be true despair."
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

AS a montrealer wanting to watch NBA basketball, the vas majority of the NBA broadcasted in here are Raptors game. So I started watching them, and then I got attached to players like Mo Pete, DeRozan, etc. and then wanted to see them progess.

Also, Jack Armstrong might be the coolest sports analyst on the planet (half shots fired toward Rautins). I remember when DeRozan posterized Mozgov last year and he had me rolling on the floor literally (unfortunately, the youtube version is cut short). He made it easy for me to watch basketball as a novice.
                      Last edited by ImNotDrake; Wed Aug 21, 2013, 10:26 AM.
                      No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        A movie is 2 hours...
                        Have you not seen the LOTR Director's cut? Now there's 12 hours I'll never get back....

Comment

I was also a big fan of Chuck Swirsky as a kid. I thought he was the coolest and no one else's play-by-play guy could compete with his awesome catch-phrases.
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

rofl, I feel like the exception. I used to invest too much emotional energy in following the Raptors (and the Mavericks, then the Suns as a Nash fan)... then I realized... why? Nothing the Raptors do affects my life in any tangible way. And as much as you want to believe otherwise, the team doesn't know you exist nor do they actually give two shits about you. I like basketball and I live in Toronto, so I'm a Raptors fan, but I would never let it define me. I certainly never refer to the team as "we" anymore. It doesn't feel like a wise emotional investment given I have no control whatsoever over the Raptors. And really, I enjoy basketball, whatever jersey the players happen to be wearing, so...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Have you not seen the LOTR Director's cut? Now there's 12 hours I'll never get back....
                              fuck that. I couldn't get more than halfway through those

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                                It doesn't feel like a wise emotional investment given I have no control whatsoever over the Raptors.
                                it's kinda like dating a hot chick with a really fat mom...

you know at some point, genetics is going to fuck with your whole world, but with a little patience and commitment... some subtle hinting... you can curve her towards habits (ie/ diet and exercise) that will benefit you both... if that doesn't happen, and she follows in her mother's portly ways... you have to decide what "love" really means to you

Comment

Working...
                                X