Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd rather be in any of the unglamorous cities with $10 to my name than in detroit with $1000.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
      I'd rather be in any of the unglamorous cities with $10 to my name than in detroit with $1000.
      You could probably buy all of Detroit for $1000...

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        You could probably buy all of Detroit for $1000...
        i once went on a road trip to detroit with a couple buddies... i got all excited, because they have white castle...

the minute we checked into the hotel (which was a whopping $65 for a two bedroom suite), we immediately went to white castle...

it was awesome..

with that mission accomplished, we realized......... oh christ, we're in detroit.

one of the worst border crossing trips i've ever done... i've had better times in rochester

Comment

• Marz wrote: View Post
          Detroit is glamorous? lol, have you been to Detroit? :P (I know you said tradition)
          Never been but I know it's rated one of the most dangerous places on earth.

Comment

• I remember in the '70's there were only two places left in America where you could actually homestead (occupy land, improve by some specific amount per year ($3000) and after 5 years, you go title to the land. One place was Alaska. there were designated, uninhabited spots that allowed you to claim up to 100 acres.

The other place was Detroit, where there were designated, uninhabited spots that allowed you to claim an unoccupied, boarded up house. If you stayed in it for 5 years and made $2000/year in improvements, it was yours.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              I remember in the '70's there were only two places left in America where you could actually homestead (occupy land, improve by some specific amount per year ($3000) and after 5 years, you go title to the land. One place was Alaska. there were designated, uninhabited spots that allowed you to claim up to 100 acres.

The other place was Detroit, where there were designated, uninhabited spots that allowed you to claim an unoccupied, boarded up house. If you stayed in it for 5 years and made $2000/year in improvements, it was yours.
              Indeed, I believe those are known as 'Squatters rights'. Pretty sure those are still around actually.

And whats funny, is I would actually struggle with the decision of where to live ... Alaska or Detroit ... hmmm that IS a toughy. Haha

Comment

• In other news, Masai Ujiri, who was essentially mentored by Colangelo, won Executive-of-the-Year honours. Good for him.. I have this weird sinking feeling that we let the wrong guy go ...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  To play devil's advocate, he did say "in the Eastern Conference". I think it's fair to say that Toronto could very well be perceived by players/agents/media/average Americans as one of the least desirable cities in the EC.

"Glamorous cities" could refer to both the allure of the city itself (rightfully or wrongfully) and/or the history/tradition of the city as a basketball town. The EC boasts some of the most well known and significant cities in the US, even if they're technically smaller, truly less "glamorous" or have a less engaged fanbase than Toronto. I'm not surprised at Toronto being lumped into the bottom third of "glamorous" cities in the EC:

- New York
                  - Brooklyn
                  - Miami
                  - Boston
                  - Chicago
                  - Atlanta
                  - Philadelphia
                  - Washington
                  - Orlando
                  - Detroit

UN-glamorous EC cities
                  - Charlotte
                  - Milwaukee
                  - Cleveland
                  - Indiana
                  - Toronto
                  Can't say I agree with you on these ones..

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                    Atlanta is basically black guy heaven. I lived there for 7 years so I'm not just talking out my ass. Lots of pro athletes have homes in Atlanta. Tons of big name rappers come out of Atlanta are hanging out at all the clubs. Trust me, most NBA players would love living in Atlanta, it's just that they haven't been too keen on how crap the Hawks were. You can already see the effect in Lou Williams taking a smaller salary to play in ATL.

Comment

Ya I'm not sure whats Glamorous about the Wizards, besides I guess playing with John Wall .. DC is an absolute SH*T HOLE. Big market in terms of population, but I'm not sure players care about that. DC is not really a sports media destination, and that's the big ticket for NY, Brooklyn, Miami, Boston and Chicago.

I'd argue that Philly would have a certain draw and appeal to it, and Atlanta is a pretty big Media hub and has been consistently successful the last several years as well. Just having a good program can make a city glamorous to a player. Not to mention the Georgia Sunshine!
                      Last edited by Joey; Thu May 9, 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        Atlanta is basically black guy heaven. I lived there for 7 years so I'm not just talking out my ass. Lots of pro athletes have homes in Atlanta. Tons of big name rappers come out of Atlanta are hanging out at all the clubs. Trust me, most NBA players would love living in Atlanta, it's just that they haven't been too keen on how crap the Hawks were. You can already see the effect in Lou Williams taking a smaller salary to play in ATL.
                        I have noticed this but I wasn't sure yet.

Just curious, could you explain why? other than the factor of "white flight" of course.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Ya I'm not sure whats Glamorous about the Wizards, besides I guess playing with John Wall .. DC is an absolute SH*T HOLE. Big market in terms of population, but I'm not sure players care about that. DC is not really a sports media destination, and that's the big ticket for NY, Brooklyn, Miami, Boston and Chicago.

I'd argue that Philly would have a certain draw and appeal to it, and Atlanta is a pretty big Media hub and has been consistently successful the last several years as well. Just having a good program can make a city glamorous to a player. Not to mention the Georgia Sunshine!
                          Well I've heard otherwise of the latter two... but I'd prefer not to go into detail or I might offend some folk

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            Instead of taking a long time and writing it myself, I found this article that sums up all of the stuff I've heard over the years. Especially point number 4, to this you can see why the Hawks' fanbase is one of the worst in the league

I plan on eventually visiting one day.

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-things-...12.html?cat=10

Comment

I think NY, Brooklyn, Miami, Boston and Chicago are complete no-brainers.

I also think Philadelphia and Atlanta would be pretty popular among athletes/media, while also being big, established markets (why Atlanta is such a poor basketball draw is beyond me, considering how well they do with football, baseball and nascar).

Washington (US capital), Detroit (mo-town) and Orlando (good weather, well known) are all borderline picks for me, but I think they'd still rank ahead of a non-US city for most Americans. You could probably throw Cleveland into this group as a mid-range group of Eastern Conference cities, between the top-7 and bottom-4 (Toronto, Indiana, Milwaukee and Charlotte).

Remember, I was playing devil's advocate to Matt's post, looking at it from an American perspective (mix of pro athlete, media and average American perspectives). Perception is subjective and isn't always "right"... although our perception is equally subjective, of course!

Comment

• Lots of people live in Atlanta, not a lot of people are from there. Initially the affluence in the black community there was tied to Coca Cola. Atlanta is also where you can find the first traditional black universities. So it became a hub where intelligent affluent black people could get educated and find good jobs...but it is a hub. Since no one is from there no one has any investment in any of the teams. The Falcons are one thing but the Braves only draw for big games and when they're on a run to the playoffs...NASCAR is a traveling circus-- fans follow them wherever they go.

DC is not a pleasant place to live. Lots of poverty. Some good places in Virginia, etc., but you're talking about primarily government workers and people with ties to politics. Those are the type of people who only go to events if someone else is footing the bill.

Philly is an interesting one. Toronto is a "better" city but you will not find a more sports savvy fanbase in the US from my experience.

Detroit? No. Just no. I have a lot of dear friends who live there, or used to live there and yet I cannot vouch for the city. For me? It's a good spot. For a multi-millionaire athlete? There's nothing there. Seriously. No glamour. What Detroit has is history and in a league where only a handful of teams have ever won titles history matters.

Toronto has a fanbase that supports its teams, a reasonably sized black middle class/affluent community, and tons of media. The problem is convincing players that being a star in Canada and not in the US is a viable option. That's why I'm excited about the Leiweke deal. This is a savvy guy who can sell athletes on being a superstar for a whole country. If a star candidate like Jackson joins him that only increases the legitimacy to that idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X