Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this Raptors team stack up against VC's 00-01 team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this Raptors team stack up against VC's 00-01 team?

Good read.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...the-best-ever/

Thoughts? is this the greatest Raptors team ever??
    Mamba Mentality

This is the greatest raps team ever. Not the best collection of talent ever however.

That sixers team that went to the finals would be a lot easier to beat in this day and age. Top play, used often: Iverson dribble dribble dribble shoot!
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I have a hard time believing this team could beat the 01 team. This one has more depth and role players but that team just seems substantially better to me.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        I have a hard time believing this team could beat the 01 team. This one has more depth and role players but that team just seems substantially better to me.
        Everything seems better when you were younger.

Comment

The article suggests that the 00-01 team was more talented, but I have to disagree with that. Outside of Carter, there was no one special on that club. Davis, Oakley, Williams, Peterson, Childs and the rest were all good players, but none of them were truly great talents. Like the article said, it was a good mix of young players and tough, savvy vets. The current team does not have the equivalent of Davis, or a tough in your face guy like Oak, or that sweet shooter off the bench like Curry. And that's basically what's really missing from our current team, a veteran presence that is really important on the floor. You could argue Lowry or Amir I guess, but neither provides the veteran presence that those other guys did. They hadn't had the success that Oak and Curry had previously to draw upon.

And when you look at the current roster, it's almost bursting at the seams with talent. No one is or will likely be at the level that Carter was then, but overall the current lineup looks more talented than the 00-01 team. Some of this is potential of course, and who knows if that will be reached, but who would you rather: Mo Pete or Ross? Davis or JV? A. Williams or Lowry? Patterson or J. Williams?

It's kind of difficult to really compare the teams, as that 00-01 team was built to do what it did, while this current team is still figuring a lot of things out and in no shape, way or form was it expected to do this well. I think if this current team played one more complete season together there would be no question as to which team is better.

Comment

I need a sidde by side roster comparison
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

00-01 Roster:

Vince Carter
              Antonio Davis
              Charles Oakley
              Alvin Williams
              Morris Peterson
              Mark Jackson
              Dell Curry
              Keon Clark
              Corliss Williamson
              Kevin Willis
              Tracy Murray
              Jerome Williams
              Chris Childs
              Michael Stewart

and other less important players

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                I need a sidde by side roster comparison
                Quick somebody accommodate this guy we need his opinion and quick

Comment

I forgot about Jackson, Willis, Murray and Stewart in my original post, but I still stick to my opinion.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    00-01 Roster:

Vince Carter
                    Antonio Davis
                    Charles Oakley
                    Alvin Williams
                    Morris Peterson
                    Mark Jackson
                    Dell Curry
                    Keon Clark
                    Corliss Williamson
                    Kevin Willis
                    Tracy Murray
                    Jerome Williams
                    Chris Childs
                    Michael Stewart

and other less important players
                    What an old team that was, even then. I wonder if mark Jackson ever met Dell currys son back then...

Comment

I gotta say though, that 00-01 team was pretty deep, even moreso than our current roster I think, although some of those guys were near the end of their careers.

And a much better 3pt shooting team!!
                      Last edited by JawsGT; Fri Mar 14, 2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        I gotta say though, that 00-01 team was pretty deep, even moreso than our current roster I think, although some of those guys were near the end of their careers.
                        Not really. The roster you posted doesn't account for the trades....

Playoff roster was

Carter
                        Davis
                        Williams
                        Oakley
                        Childs
                        Curry
                        Peterson
                        Clark
                        Williams
                        Murray
                        Montross
                        Stewart

Jackson, Willis and Williamson were all shipped off during the season. Replaced by Childs, Clark and Williams. The team was about 9-men deep, at best, which is about the same as now.

Comment

The article mentions it as well but ultimately the 00-01 team had a tougher road. The East was far more stacked than it is now. On paper you can make an argument that this year's team has more depth but that years team had veterans with experience.

A veteran team with experience will usually beat an up and coming team. Plus that team had a super star in Vince.. this team does not. A team with a super star will usually get the edge.

But this year's squad is probably the second best team we've ever had (I'd say this team is better than the 06-07 team).. that's a testament to how well this group has been playing... and unfortunately another example of how bleak this franchise has been since its existence.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The article mentions it as well but ultimately the 00-01 team had a tougher road. The East was far more stacked than it is now. On paper you can make an argument that this year's team has more depth but that years team had veterans with experience.

A veteran team with experience will usually beat an up and coming team. Plus that team had a super star in Vince.. this team does not. A team with a super star will usually get the edge.

But this year's squad is probably the second best team we've ever had (I'd say this team is better than the 06-07 team).. that's a testament to how well this group has been playing... and unfortunately another example of how bleak this franchise has been since its existence.
                            I would argue the east is a tougher road this year because Miami and indiana are waaay Bette than anything they had to offer. They would destroy that sixers team. The east was deeper sure but for years teams were just lining up to get destroys by the Lakers or spurs.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I would argue the east is a tougher road this year because Miami and indiana are waaay Bette than anything they had to offer. They would destroy that sixers team. The east was deeper sure but for years teams were just lining up to get destroys by the Lakers or spurs.
                              But we're 1-5 vs. Miami and Indy this year. Can't see how that's used as evidence that the 2013-14 Raptors are better.

Comment

Working...
                              X