thoughts on casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on casey

the man knows how to ride a bicycle extremely well (getting the most out of the scrub team we had last year), that doesn't mean we leave him behind the wheel of a ferrari. (or in the raptors case a smart car, which has more talented pieces than last year)

Or is the sample size too small to tell?

I don't think this year's team is that much more talented, and I also think a coach takes too much heat for 'losing' a locker room, which is really just another way of saying a team doesn't play together and doesn't play hard. That is a lot more on the players than the coach. He should take some blame, but the blunt of it goes on the players. They have to hold each other accountable. I feel weird saying this, because they had no impact on the floor, but I think we miss guys like Magloire and Anthony Carter. We added Lowry, a very strong competitive personality to a team built around Bargs, a totally apathetic player. It's no wonder there are communication issues and a potentially broken locker room. Especially with no true vets to police them. It was stupid not to sign at least 1 or 2 guys in such roles this year. I do think Magloire was done, but I'm sure we could have found a couple of guys worth having at the end of the bench.
    note: clarifying my statement on this team's talent...JV and Ross are rooks who will have learning years. While they are upgrades in talent, the returns on them this year will be pretty insignificant, especially at the start, and we'd probably win more in the now if we still had a guy like Barbosa, and the Gray/Amir tandem mostly at C. We didn't really end up even marginally upgrading our SF position. We'll see if Fields is any kind of factor when he comes back, and same for Anderson. We've missed a defensive presence there that JJ gave us (though I'm glad he's gone), and hopefully Pietrus can give us some of that for awhile. The only real immediate upgrade was at PG with Lowry, and he's been up and down, and it's hard to tell if he's a keeper or not right now. This season was always going to depend on Bargs bringing what he brought for those 13 games last year (or at least somethign close to it) and he hasn't, and more of that has to go on him, and even BC, than on Casey...Frankly, getting 13 quality games from Bargs in one season is still better than any of the other coaches who've had him.

Comment

He was credited with making Dallas a defensive team in their championship year, I think the bicycle analogy is unfair. I think this roster is as inexperienced as Cleveland's, multiple 1st round pick roster with Byron Scott. They are 4-16 as well.

I think Bryan should be fired for "bullshit PO" expectation in this market.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
        He was credited with making Dallas a defensive team in their championship year, I think the bicycle analogy is unfair. I think this roster is as inexperienced as Cleveland's, multiple 1st round pick roster with Byron Scott. They are 4-16 as well.

I think Bryan should be fired for "bullshit PO" expectation in this market.
        turkeydoo was credited with hitting game winners & helping the Magic to the Finals...That didnt turn out well for us either..Im starting to get that same feeling about DC

Comment

I think the team has taken on Casey's personality a bit too much. Casey never gets pissed out there when guys are blowing defensive assignments. He's in a perfect situation with rookies and a young core where he can get into guys when they screw up and not worry about getting Spreewell-ed. But instead he has the same low intensity whether they play well or play bad. In turn the players are now equally lacking intensity.

I still like Casey, but perhaps he makes a better defensive coach than a head coach. Or perhaps he is struggling to coach the way BC is asking him to.

Comment

"Or perhaps he is struggling to coach the way BC is asking him to."

Was that not the reason that Sam Mitchell was fired -- for not wanting to talk with BC about how to do his job?

Comment

Working...
            X