Grange Advocating Tanking/Raptors not rushing rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    That's where you and most of the rest of us differ. You're pretty new to following the Raptors.
    I would not say that as I did follow them for 6 or 7 years after their inception when many of the posters were likely still chidlren and teenagers.

I was a big NBA (Lakerss, then Nuggets, then Raptors) fan from the early 1970s to early 2000s and probably attended games well before most posters were born.

My dream job would probably be to become the GM of an NBA team. I'm not a casual fan. And it sounds like you pretty much are.
    So what steps have you taken towards realizing your dream?

My dream job when I was teenager was to become a baseball statician. I did not become one but I was involved in a few arbitration cases in the late 80s and early 90s. Sadly, it was not nearly as much fun as I expected. In fact, it was really boring. But I can't complain as it did put me in a chance contact with the woman I married.

As for being a casual fan, I am perfectly fine with the description. I rarely watch games if they don't involve the Raptors or (sometimes) the Timbervolves, but I do like building data model.
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Tue Nov 29, 2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
      You are Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment's dream customer. They could fire almost everybody they pay to manage their teams if everybody had this attitude.
      If they put up a decent product for the price of admission, I will certainly continue to attend games whenever I travel to Toronto, Washington, and Philadelphia.

From your tone, it appears how I choose to spend my entertainment dollars bothers you. Would it help if instead spent them in strip joints, pot or cigarettes, or getting drunk with friends?

Just curious.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        I would not say that as I did follow them for 6 or 7 years after their inception when many of the posters were likely still chidlren and teenagers.

I was a big NBA (Lakerss, then Nuggets, then Raptors) fan from the early 1970s to early 2000s and probably attended games well before most posters were born.
        I caught onto the NBA in the 80s. I don't think you could even watch it in Canada before then. I've been a fan of the Pistons (80's)- never liked the Lakers or Celtics, Hawks (again, 80's), Bulls, Sonics, Jazz (yes, Jazz), Spurs, Grizzlies (before they moved to Memphis) and obviously the Raptors. I've followed, to a degree, nearly every team, though. The Raptors have been the only team I haven't wavered on being a fan of, mostly because that's where I'm from.

So what steps have you taken towards realizing your dream?

My dream job when I was teenager was to become a baseball statician. I did not become one but I was involved in a few arbitration cases in the late 80s and early 90s. Sadly, it was not nearly as much fun as I expected. In fact, it was really boring. But I can't complain as it did put me in a chance contact with the woman I married.

As for being a casual fan, I am perfectly fine with the description. I rarely watch games if they don't involve the Raptors or (sometimes) the Timbervolves, but I do like building data model.
        I'm a little too old to be chasing after that dream, unfortunately. I'm quite happy what I'm doing, anyway. Back when the Grizzlies were in town, I had other interests, so didn't pursue it when I had the chance.

I do get the feeling you think I'm younger than I really am. In fact I think a lot of guys here are older than you think.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I do get the feeling you think I'm younger than I really am. In fact I think a lot of guys here are older than you think.
          Not in your case Tim; I suspect you are in your late fifties/early sixties and thus a little older than me.

Several posters have mentioned the word fiancée (without the French accent) so my assumption is they are 35 years old or less.

Comment

Not in your case Tim; I suspect you are in your late fifties/early sixties and thus a little older than me.

Several posters have mentioned the word fiancée (without the French accent) so my assumption is they are 35 years old or less.
            Whoah, there. I'm not there quite, yet, although sometimes I feel like that. I actually thought the average age was younger, at first, as well, but learned there are a fair number who would actually remember when John Lennon was shot.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Whoah, there. I'm not there quite, yet, although sometimes I feel like that. I actually thought the average age was younger, at first, as well, but learned there are a fair number who would actually remember when John Lennon was shot.
              I don't recall where I was when John Lennon was shot but I do recall where I was when Elvis faked his death!

Comment

If they put up a decent product for the price of admission, I will certainly continue to attend games whenever I travel to Toronto, Washington, and Philadelphia.

From your tone, it appears how I choose to spend my entertainment dollars bothers you. Would it help if instead spent them in strip joints, pot or cigarettes, or getting drunk with friends?

Just curious.
                I don't object to you spending money on MLSE. I do think it's unfortunate that you'd characterize yourself as "satisfied" with the MLSE product. I wish your standards were higher, and I wonder if that kind of view contributes to the sports mediocrity in the GTA market.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                  I don't object to you spending money on MLSE. I do think it's unfortunate that you'd characterize yourself as "satisfied" with the MLSE product. I wish your standards were higher, and I wonder if that kind of view contributes to the sports mediocrity in the GTA market.
                  I never lived in the GTA, was never a Leafs season ticket holders, and was never surveyed as to my opinion of the product so I seriously doubt my opinion ever made it back to the MLSE marketing department.

Nothing special as I also attended a few hundred sporting events in various cities around the world and don't recall ever being surveyed except once thirty-some years ago, when I purchased VIP tickets to the Montréal Formula One Grand Prix as a birthday present for my brother.

Please feel free to blame me personally for the sports mediocrity in the GTA market if it somehow helps you in any way; it won't bother me and would provide me with an additional source of entertainment. It might even encourage me to listen to The Power by Snap! when I peruse the forums.

In the end of the day, sports is just entertainment and as much as I would like my teams to win, I won't lose any sleep or be mad at my wife and kids if they don't.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                    I don't mean to be rude, but you're kind of contradicting yourself. You said earlier you don't like the idea of tanking, but that's exactly what both Miami and NY did in order to free up the space and/or acquire the assets necessary to make a run at that free agent class. We're not talking 'just letting the kids play and let the chips fall where they may', we're talking flat out tanking and dumping contracts, sacrificing entire seasons.
                    I guess you didnt read my entire post, i said i dont like the idea of tanking, but i favor it if it gives more wins to the team in the long run.

Same as the CBA, a handful of players dont like the CBA, but theyre in favor of it because thats the best deal they can get.

Oh yes definitely, it was pretty obvious thats what MIami and NY did, but the Raptors really dont have to tank that long to get cap space. A lot of their contracts pretty much expired and now they have a lot of space left. And with Barbosa's contract expiring too plus the amnesty, theyll get more space.
                    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Nov 30, 2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I never lived in the GTA, was never a Leafs season ticket holders, and was never surveyed as to my opinion of the product so I seriously doubt my opinion ever made it back to the MLSE marketing department.

Nothing special as I also attended a few hundred sporting events in various cities around the world and don't recall ever being surveyed except once thirty-some years ago, when I purchased VIP tickets to the Montréal Formula One Grand Prix as a birthday present for my brother.

Please feel free to blame me personally for the sports mediocrity in the GTA market if it somehow helps you in any way; it won't bother me and would provide me with an additional source of entertainment. It might even encourage me to listen to The Power by Snap! when I peruse the forums.

In the end of the day, sports is just entertainment and as much as I would like my teams to win, I won't lose any sleep or be mad at my wife and kids if they don't.
                      hahaha i do slap myself sometimes too when i snap and realize im screaming at the tv when the Raps are losing. i dont even think of the Raptors winning a title, i pray for them to win one. thats how hardcore i am. But whats hilarious is even if the Raps win a title, how would it affect me personally? will a be a millionaire? hahaha i guess not. its just the weirdness of being a Raps fan i guess.

but i do get your point. at the end of the day, its just a game. you pay to see them play. win or lose, you really cant control it. i would regard you as the "force of reason" in this forum. hehehe

Comment

I don't think the team is nearly as bad as many seem to think and at this time, without knowing the effects of trades and free-agency, I expect the Raptors will win 34 to 37% of their games. A 34% win percentage would typically mean a 7th worst team.
                        The first of several posts in which I predicted a 34 to 37% win percentage for this year!

Comment

Tim you disappeared all season, welcome back! Was it Bargs good play at the beginning of the season that drove you away from the forums?
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                            Tim you disappeared all season, welcome back! Was it Bargs good play at the beginning of the season that drove you away from the forums?
                            dude that post was in november...

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              dude that post was in november...
                              Yup, I was just tooting my own horn.

Comment

the lock-out actually improves the chances of us getting a franchise saviour. Hopefully, the draft lottery gives us an even better chance.

I'm glad the wretched season is now over though. Now, I don't have to be so miserable. the positives you guys were trying to make out of a gross season was making me want to hurl.

We can finally put it behind us and look to watch some real basketball, where teams are actually looking to achieve something without sucking large. I can finally start watching basketball again.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X