Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Colangelo trade Bosh before the trade deadline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we open up the Carter trade too.......Muhahahaha!

Seriously, it's been two years let's move on to new or potential bone head moves.

Comment

the only thing i miss about the Bosh era, was having that one player who was good enough to win the raptors their division and get us into the playoffs..

you know, Jorge Garbajosa

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
        We received the pick that turned into Jonas for Bosh ... amazing deal, giving us a franchise Centre for the next decade.
        The Bosh trade returned the raptors 2010 pick which was ED davis. The Jonas pick was already ours.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
          The Bosh trade returned the raptors 2010 pick which was ED davis. The Jonas pick was already ours.
          http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3905146

The deal also calls for Toronto to get the league's maximum allowed in cash considerations ($3 million) and for the Heat to land a conditional first-round pick to come sometime between 2010 and 2015. It's lottery-protected, essentially meaning the first time the Raptors make the playoffs after this season, their first-rounder goes to Miami.
          Ed Davis was a lottery pick so it would not have gone to Miami. Same with JV in 2011. However if we make the playoffs this year, then that pick would have gone to Miami. We get to keep it now. That would be the case even with the trade to Houston for Lowry since Houston would only get the pick if we failed to make the playoffs and didn't get into the top 3.

It was essentially a crappy pick that we got back for Bosh.

Comment

FACT #1 - Bosh made cute like he would resign here

FACT #2 - Colangelo gambled on that being the case

FACT #3 - Colangelo was wrong.

FACT #4 - We got a TPE and our own pick back

FACT #5 - Colangelo is a human being (one prone to gambling)

FACT #6 - Every GM decision comes with risk

FACT #7 - Colangelo has been playing it safe since Bosh left. He is making better decisions and locking in no stupid long term money pit contracts (Landry Fields doesn't count because its a 8.5 million dollar expiring trade chip in two seasons if he doesn't pan out.)
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              FACT #1 - Bosh made cute like he would resign here

FACT #2 - Colangelo gambled on that being the case

FACT #3 - Colangelo was wrong.

FACT #4 - We got a TPE and our own pick back

FACT #5 - Colangelo is a human being (one prone to gambling)

FACT #6 - Every GM decision comes with risk

FACT #7 - Colangelo has been playing it safe since Bosh left. He is making better decisions and locking in no stupid long term money pit contracts (Landry Fields doesn't count because its a 8.5 million dollar expiring trade chip in two seasons if he doesn't pan out.)
              Do you know for certain in the final year of the deal it is treated like $8.5M (contract value) or $6.25M (Raptor cap hit)? This is something I've never been certain of.

Comment

Really??? This is like watching the Raptor Channel: REPEATS!!!! Get over the Bosh thing already, yo!!!! Smdh
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

For Toronto the contract is locked in at $6.25M, for NY it would have been lock in based on cashflow for team salary purposes. Were Toronto to trade Fields the receiving team would use Toronto's contract number for salary purposes too, but would pay the $8.5M. Cash outflow for the contract does not affect how Fields contract is reflected on the books.

Question is would a team be willing to pay $8.5M when the cap hit is lower....my guess would be a team flush with money.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                    For Toronto the contract is locked in at $6.25M, for NY it would have been lock in based on cashflow for team salary purposes. Were Toronto to trade Fields the receiving team would use Toronto's contract number for salary purposes too, but would pay the $8.5M. Cash outflow for the contract does not affect how Fields contract is reflected on the books.

Question is would a team be willing to pay $8.5M when the cap hit is lower....my guess would be a team flush with money.
                    Do you know that for certainty though? If so, how? Is there a link? Thanks.

Comment

There is nothing explicity saying anything about any future trades changing the contract based on cash outflow in Coon's CBAFAQ, only that in Toronto's case the salary amount is the 3 year average. Since Larry Coon doesn't explicity say it changes, I have inferred that the contract average is used for a trade since he does explicity say the contract is the 3 yr average.

It is under the Gilbert Arena exception
                      http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

However, logically, were Fields to be traded in the 3rd year of his contract, Toronto would have already absorbed as contract salary 2 years of the prorated excess ballon payment amount. He could not possibly be worth $8.5M in contract salary that year (he will receive $8.5M in payments), that would be double counting and an administrative nightmare for the League.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                        There is nothing explicity saying anything about any future trades changing the contract based on cash outflow in Coon's CBAFAQ, only that in Toronto's case the salary amount is the 3 year average. Since Larry Coon doesn't explicity say it changes, I have inferred that the contract average is used for a trade since he does explicity say the contract is the 3 yr average.

It is under the Gilbert Arena exception
                        http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

However, logically, were Fields to be traded in the 3rd year of his contract, Toronto would have already absorbed as contract salary 2 years of the prorated excess ballon payment amount. He could not possibly be worth $8.5M in contract salary that year (he will receive $8.5M in payments), that would be double counting and an administrative nightmare for the League.
                        That sounds right.

Thank you.

Comment

At the trade deadline we were in 4th snd bosh was leaning towards re signing, it would also have caused an uproar if we would have traded bosh from 4th place. The raptors then went on to lose lose lose on route to a 9th place finish. Bosh said the other raps werent trying so he got pissed and left. Hindsight is 20/20

Comment

In relation to the thread topic, my question is "who would have traded anything of value for Bosh before the trade deadline?" It seems pretty clear that Bosh was determined to go to Miami, so why would any other team give up anything of value to rent him for the balance of the season? Miami already knew that they would get Bosh as a free agent, so why would they trade anything of value to get him? I think that the reason that Colangelo was ticked was because Bosh's determination to go to Miami, and only Miami, gave him no real options to get much in return.

Comment

This is a dumb subject, why didn't the Suns trade Amare at the mid season then let him go? No player shows there cards mid season when they are a FA unless your Dwight Howard because you'll get an bad image placed upon yourself once you leave.

Comment

Why did Brad Pitt dump Jennifer Aniston for Angelina Jolie?

Who the f*ck cares! It happened years ago! Everyones moved on but you it seems.
                                Last edited by Joey; Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:36 AM. Reason: Censorship of Profanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X