Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BasketballINsiders.com: Raps top story in east this season

1 – The Toronto Raptors’ emergence as a top East team

First and foremost, we have the quickly-improving Toronto Raptors, who by all accounts were supposed to be tanking for a high draft pick this season. After dealing Rudy Gay, the Raptors made it known that Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan could be had for a steep price, but before they found a taker for either of their backcourt leaders, they found themselves quickly climbing in the standings. After a paltry 7-13 start and the Gay trade, the Raptors have gone 25-13, they rank as the NBA’s best fourth quarter team and they have moved into the East’s third seed. Not bad for a team that was looking to tank.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...watch-in-east/
    I wonder if any teams out there think they should have paid the price?

This guy should have paid the price.

Dolan,

Comment

While I agree the Raps are a great story, Ingram's careful not to mention our ascent happened so quickly as a result of the East being decimated this season.

Comment

gametime wrote: View Post
        While I agree the Raps are a great story, Ingram's careful not to mention our ascent happened so quickly as a result of the East being decimated this season.
        But the surprises and teams are all relative. All teams are in the east.

Comment

gametime wrote: View Post
          Not our fault the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Cavs all suck.

We're just taking advantage by playing decent basketball.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
            Not our fault the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Cavs all suck.
            We're just taking advantage by playing decent basketball.
            Agreed, solid team ball post-Rudy era has been nice to watch.

Comment

Toronto has beaten some of the top teams in the west so I wish people would fuck off about them playing in the east.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                Toronto has beaten some of the top teams in the west so I wish people would fuck off about them playing in the east.
                And beat Indiana.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                  Also, teams suck EVERY YEAR. Do these geniuses think that it's a 15 team race for first place in each conference every year? Conferences will go through strong teams and weak teams, it happens. How quickly people forget about notoriously bad teams for years on end the minute they have success (i.e. LAC).
                  There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

When they are ranked for offensive and defensive efficiency, they are ranked against the whole league.
                    When they are ranked for effectiveness in the fourth quarter, they are ranked against the whole league.

Comment

How about the flipside? Can you imagine if we still suck along with the other teams after trying earnestly to make the playoffs (see Detroit)? The team's record doesn't preclude them from winning against tough teams (and yes, their record against teams above .500 isn't great but still).
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I think the Bulls might be a bigger story. They lost rose, traded Deng for nothing, and Joakim Noah has led his team to the third seed for now. I find that pretty amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

rapfan10 wrote: View Post
                          I think the Bulls might be a bigger story. They lost rose, traded Deng for nothing, and Joakim Noah has led his team to the third seed for now. I find that pretty amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                          Technically the Bulls are the 4th seed... Raptors own the tie breaker since they are a division champ

I'm not sure if the Bulls are a better story since the Raptors were destined for the lottery after they traded who was arguably their best player in Gay. I'd say both stories are really good.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Technically the Bulls are the 4th seed... Raptors own the tie breaker since they are a division champ

I'm not sure if the Bulls are a better story since the Raptors were destined for the lottery after they traded who was arguably their best player in Gay. I'd say both stories are really good.
                            Division champs are essentially only guaranteed top 5 (officially, top 4, but without guarantee of home court).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              Division champs are essentially only guaranteed top 5 (officially, top 4, but without guarantee of home court).
                              Right, but division champ is the first tie-breaker, which is the point planetmars was making. If the Bulls finish ahead of us, then yes they get the higher seed, but if we finish tied (and we win the Atlantic), we get the higher seed.

Comment

Working...
                              X