Let's Discuss Adam Silver..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Discuss Adam Silver..

Are things going to change for the raptors and the league with a new commish?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Not anytime soon. He's been deputy commissioner for awhile so has been involved with all the recent changes. It'll probably be at least 3-5 before we start seeing decisions or changes that put his stamp on the league.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think we will see his impact soon enough. The league is already starting TV contract extension talks, the old ones will expire in 2016. And the CBA has opt outs in 2017. Stern chose next winter to step down for a reason, it's the start of a new intense negotiations cycle. Silver will have his hands full for the next few years.

The outcome could be very lucrative for teams. But it will be interesting to see the direction that Silver supports. Will he give look to avoid another lockout and give some significant concessions to players? If TV deals are lucrative enough, that could be likely. Will he play hardball and make sure most of the new TV money end up in owners' pockets? Also, how will he deal with the revenue sharing issue?

There's a bunch of money coming in, and everyone will want a piece of that pie, and Silver will be right there holding the knife. We will see what he's made of soon.

On a smaller scale, D-League is basically Silver's baby, and he's been pushing for the "1 D-League team per 1 NBA team" format. It won't happen overnight but it's time for the Raptors to find a better solution than partnership with a team in California. D-League has become a nice development tool. Maybe a team somewhere close, Hamilton, Buffalo. Or I don't know how feasible it would be in terms of travel, but Vancouver or Ottawa and use it as a tool to promote the Raptors brand?

Comment

I hope so. For all the talk Stern did about expanding basketball into other parts of the world I really didn't feel like he put a great importance on NBA basketball in Canada.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I hope so. For all the talk Stern did about expanding basketball into other parts of the world I really didn't feel like he put a great importance on NBA basketball in Canada.
          You might be right but he does regret how things played out in Vancouver, from 2008:

If David Stern has had one major regret as he nears the 25-year mark of his reign as commissioner, it is how the National Basketball Association handled its expansion into Vancouver in 1995.

"As it turns out, I wish we hadn't had the Vancouver experience . . . ,'' Stern said in a podcast interview with ESPN.com. "Great city and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves.''

In a wide-ranging interview, Stern said he still questions whether the NBA miscalculated by expanding into both Toronto and Vancouver in 1995. While the Raptors soldier on as Canada's only team - with the NBA's first Canadian-born coach Jay Triano, no less - the Grizzlies amassed a 101-359 record in six seasons before relocating to Memphis in 2001.

"Maybe we shouldn't have done it there, maybe we should have only expanded into Toronto . . . that was a great disappointment to me," he said.

Stern is doubtful the NBA could ever return to British Columbia.

"I don't think we can go back," Stern said. "I think that was a great city, and I think we just didn't take advantage of the opportunity."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...#ixzz2ZIzFS8ra

Comment

Seems like he regrets opening up shop in BC and the failure more than anything else. Hopefully Silver takes more interest in the NBA brand in Canada. Though I don't see a large enough of core audience for another franchise in Canada at the moment I would hate to think the Raptors are it for us.

Comment

I like the idea of expanding the D-League and having a minor team close to the Raps. Then we get to start another new thread about naming the team. To go with the tradition of using popular movies, I propose the (City Name) Minions. They could have blue and yellow uniforms.

In all serious though, Silver knows whats what in the current NBA and knows whats ahead (CBA, TV negotiations). His stamp will come then, but that is a few years away before we really know what he does for the league.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'd hope that with the expanded d-league, teams could actually own rights to pretty much a full roster of prospects, much like the NHL/AHL relationship. Hard to get into following a d-league team when it might have only one player with any NBA rights, for only a couple weeks or months out of a season. Could be as simple as, once you've got all 30 d-league teams in the right markets, just hold a draft for all existing d-league players. Add a couple rounds to the draft so teams can pick up a couple more players for their affiliate.

If you put a d-league team in southern ontario, stock it with maybe six or eight Raptors-owned prospects, reserve a few spots for Canadian talent, and have cheap tickets and good community outreach, I think that would go over huge with fans.

Comment

Silver has been a consigliere for Stern many years now. As usual he will be carrying the water for the owners. Cant see him not giving the owners a large boost in their take home envelopes in the next set of splitting revenue discussions....that is imperative in order that he receive an extension.

As far as less emphasis on Canada compared to other parts of the world....it's population and revenue generation....and revenue not necessarily from setting up teams and local play but building the NBA brand name and merchandising. China, Euroland, India, South America >/more lucrative than Canada. Nothing personal just demographics.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post

On a smaller scale, D-League is basically Silver's baby, and he's been pushing for the "1 D-League team per 1 NBA team" format. It won't happen overnight but it's time for the Raptors to find a better solution than partnership with a team in California. D-League has become a nice development tool. Maybe a team somewhere close, Hamilton, Buffalo. Or I don't know how feasible it would be in terms of travel, but Vancouver or Ottawa and use it as a tool to promote the Raptors brand?
                    The AHL team already struggles with attendance in Hamilton. And that's hockey..Have the tigercats of the CFL as well. So, not a good idea here. In Buffalo, they have NHL and NFL, the team wouldn't stand a chance. They had NBA franchise they're before and it didn't last.

Ottawa has NHL and they're getting a new CFL team. So, ruling that out as well.

Vancouver. They have the NHL and the CFL. Plus, even though it's D-League if the team doesn't last there. NBA is going to look bad for having trying to go back.

I think if there is one, it needs to be placed in an untouched market in Canada. Somewhere on the East coats, Halifax? Or maybe, try somewhere like Saskatchewan..
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      The AHL team already struggles with attendance in Hamilton. And that's hockey..Have the tigercats of the CFL as well. So, not a good idea here. In Buffalo, they have NHL and NFL, the team wouldn't stand a chance. They had NBA franchise they're before and it didn't last.

Vancouver. They have the NHL and the CFL. Plus, even though it's D-League if the team doesn't last there. NBA is going to look bad for having trying to go back.

I think if there is one, it needs to be placed in an untouched market in Canada. Somewhere on the East coats, Halifax? Or maybe, try somewhere like Saskatchewan..
                      Halifax has been rumoured for a CFL team for at least a decade. We have the CHL Champion Mooseheads. We have the Halifax Rainmen as a minor league basketball team, that has changed leagues and roster (seriously had a 100% roster turnover ine 1 year) more often so I can totally see the team owner taking on a D-League team instead of the PBL, PBA, etc leagues that have been around. Halifax also has a strong basketball tradition with university championships. I totally think it would work here.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think the economics of running an AHL team vs. a d-league team are different enough that they don't necessarily equate. Even Hamilton averages upwards of 5,000 in the AHL, while only 3 teams in the entire d-league averaged more than 3,000 (2011-12 figures, I couldn't averages from this year). If you can average 2,000 plus in the d-league, you're doing alright. Is there a market in Ontario that could sell 2,000 cheap d-league tickets, 25 times a year, with the right community outreach? Is there enough of an advantage for the deep-pocketed owners of the Raptors to make it work? I'm honestly not sure, but I lean toward yes.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Halifax has been rumoured for a CFL team for at least a decade. We have the CHL Champion Mooseheads. We have the Halifax Rainmen as a minor league basketball team, that has changed leagues and roster (seriously had a 100% roster turnover ine 1 year) more often so I can totally see the team owner taking on a D-League team instead of the PBL, PBA, etc leagues that have been around. Halifax also has a strong basketball tradition with university championships. I totally think it would work here.
                          Woo Hoo...sign me up!!!!

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

Keep in mind that a typical successful D-League franchise right now has attendance of under 100k in a year. It's a niche minor league with minimal revenue expectations, especially if it's operated by an NBA team and focused on development.

And the expenditure is also as minimal as possible, that's why most of these teams are bunched up together to cut on travel costs.

Some of these teams do well in places with other major pro teams (like Los Angeles) or places with massively successful NCAA programs. So a place having an NHL team doesn't necessarily mean that a D-League team wouldn't survive there.

Anyway, specific location is an interesting topic. I think a separate thread would be fun. The main things to consider would be:
                            (1) a decent 3-6k arena, preferably with some other operators because it would lose money if D-League is the main tenant
                            (2) a decent enough market to get you 3-4k people a game
                            (3) distance. You have to stay in the general area of current divisions because most of the travel is done by bus and it won't change any time soon. A place like Saskatchewan would probably be off for that reason alone but Halifax could work. It's also why I think Vancouver might not be feasible, it's over 1k miles to most Western division teams.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Anyway, specific location is an interesting topic. I think a separate thread would be fun. The main things to consider would be:
                              (1) a decent 3-6k arena, preferably with some other operators because it would lose money if D-League is the main tenant
                              (2) a decent enough market to get you 3-4k people a game
                              (3) distance. You have to stay in the general area of current divisions because most of the travel is done by bus and it won't change any time soon. A place like Saskatchewan would probably be off for that reason alone but Halifax could work. It's also why I think Vancouver might not be feasible, it's over 1k miles to most Western division teams.
                              Halifax definitely fits that criteria. The Metro Center holds up to 12k capacity max, so still likely 10k for hoops. The Mooseheads are the primary tenants, but other events (concerts mostly) would help make up the money.

The first Rainmen game (while they were in the ABA in 2007) drew 4,300 fans. Having actual talent and an NBA association beyond former NBA players Eddie Robinson and Kirk Snyder on the roster should be able to draw something in the 3-6k range easily.

Halifax is on the east coast, and most minor league travel schedules work best on the east coast. Whether its Montreal (11 hrs), Boston (10 hrs), or New York (12 hrs), there are lots of options that are close enough to drive in a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X