Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teams that might have an interest in Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams that might have an interest in Gay?

Not looking at cap space or shit like that. Just looking at teams that are a good fit for him.

I'm looking at contending teams, playoff teams, and bubble teams that want to make it to the playoffs.

Clippers - I think he's a good fit for them. They need a wing guy that can create his own shot. Take pressure off of Griffin and Paul.

Cavs - One of those bubble teams. They need a SF that can score plain and simple.

Pistons - They were interested in Gay back in the summer. Not sure if they still are with the acquisition of Smith.

Dallas - Again, another one of those bubble teams. Cuban actually thinks they're a contender. Ellis and Nowitzki are playing well for them. Calderon is doing his thing. But IMO they need a winger that can create his own shot. And i actually think Gay is a perfect fit for them.

Rockets - How about this for a big 3? Harden, Howard and Gay. Gay as the #3 option. Pretty good.

Wizards - Another one of those bubble teams that have playoff hopes. Rudy is also from the DC area. So i think its a good fit.
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post
    Not looking at cap space or shit like that. Just looking at teams that are a good fit for him.

I'm looking at contending teams, playoff teams, and bubble teams that want to make it to the playoffs.
    Unfortunately that sh!t matters... a lot.

Also it has to make sense for Toronto. Are they going to get cap relief, prospects, picks, or a decent player on a decent contract?

FWIW, I like Cavs, Pistons, and Bobcats as teams with means to acquire and retain Gay as well as having assets that would interest Toronto. I'd like to include Bucks but I can't see them doing a possible Reddick style deal two years in a row.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Unfortunately that sh!t matters... a lot.

Also it has to make sense for Toronto. Are they going to get cap relief, prospects, picks, or a decent player on a decent contract?

FWIW, I like Cavs, Pistons, and Bobcats as teams with means to acquire and retain Gay as well as having assets that would interest Toronto. I'd like to include Bucks but I can't see them doing a possible Reddick style deal two years in a row.
      Yeah i know. I'm just looking at teams that could use a Rudy Gay.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

Clippers - I think he's a good fit for them. They need a wing guy that can create his own shot. Take pressure off of Griffin and Paul.

Cavs - One of those bubble teams. They need a SF that can score plain and simple.

Pistons - They were interested in Gay back in the summer. Not sure if they still are with the acquisition of Smith.

Dallas - Again, another one of those bubble teams. Cuban actually thinks they're a contender. Ellis and Nowitzki are playing well for them. Calderon is doing his thing. But IMO they need a winger that can create his own shot. And i actually think Gay is a perfect fit for them.

Rockets - How about this for a big 3? Harden, Howard and Gay. Gay as the #3 option. Pretty good.

Wizards - Another one of those bubble teams that have playoff hopes. Rudy is also from the DC area. So i think its a good fit.
        I can't see the Clips having any interest at all. They have a pretty solid wing rotation with Barnes, Dudley, Redick and Crawford, where Crawford is the guy who can create his own shot and take some pressure off Paul and Griffin.

Other than that, I can see scenarios where the other teams all have some kind of interest. Of course then it depends on whether there's realistically a deal to be made with Toronto.

Problem with Dallas is mostly about specifically in relation to Toronto, they don't really have anything to offer that makes me want to deal with them.

Everyone else could have the pieces to get something done.

Comment

We've done this before, but:

Teams that would potentially be interested in Rudy Gay and conceivably can take him on (players needed to make up money in parentheses):

Cleveland: no true starting SF (Andrew Bynum or Anderson Varajao + Alonzo Gee)
          Charlotte: MKG might not pan out as hoped (Ben Gordon)
          Milwaukee: no true starting SF, Delfino out for the season (Caron Butler + Ekpe Udoh or Carlos Delfino + Ekpe Udoh + pieces)
          Detroit: if they decide to bite the bullet and trade Greg Monroe to move Josh Smith to PF (Charlie Villanueva + Rodney Stuckey)
          Washington: no true starting SF (Nene)
          Houston: badly needs to move out Lin and Asik, could move Rudy or Chandler Parsons to PF (Jeremy Lin + Omer Asik)
          Minnesota: major upgrade at SF, Rudy can actually play some D (Chase Budlinger + spare parts)
          Denver: desperate for scoring (Javale McGee + spare parts)

Teams that have assets Toronto would potentially be interested in:

Cleveland: Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Sergei Karasev, their own 2014 first-rounder, Sacramento's 2014 first-rounder on protected basis, Memphis, Miami and their own 2015 first-rounders, lots more picks

Charlotte: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Portland's 2014 first-rounder (protected), Detroit's 2014 first-rounder (protected), their own pick (although this might be tricky to manage)

Milwaukee: Giannis Antekokounmpo, Brandon Knight, their 2014 first-rounder, some second-round picks

Houston: Lin, Asik, their 2014 first-rounder

Denver: Kenneth Faried, Evan Fournier, the better of theirs and New York's 2014 first-rounders (as the worse is committed to Orlando)

Long story short: some teams we can deal with. Others really have to be part of a three-team deal.
          Last edited by magoon; Mon Nov 11, 2013, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Grizzlies could really use a scorer like Gay
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I like Chicago as a fit for him.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Grizzlies could really use a scorer like Gay
                Fun and true: I visited a couple Grizz forums and they're floating the idea of Steve Novak for Ed Davis.

I want to use mind-rays to make that trade happen RIGHT NOW.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Fun and true: I visited a couple Grizz forums and they're floating the idea of Steve Novak for Ed Davis.

WHAT!?!?!

Sign me up for that trade.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post

WHAT!?!?!

Sign me up for that trade.
                    I've been critical of Davis, and even I would make that trade without hesitation.

Comment

One team I haven't seen mentioned is the Bulls.

They might actually be interested in another shot creator like Gay to complement Rose. I wonder if they'd toss us Deng and a pick for him.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                        One team I haven't seen mentioned is the Bulls.

They might actually be interested in another shot creator like Gay to complement Rose. I wonder if they'd toss us Deng and a pick for him.
                        Deng is a better player and the extra $4M in salary would actually cost the Bulls about $11M this season. Next season, if Gay were to pick up his option, the $19.3M would actually cost the Bulls about $46M ($19.3M + $12M exposed to luxury tax and repeater tax).

Plus this summer they are left with just the MLE to bring over Mirotic.

I don't think that suggestion is very likely.

Comment

Deng is a better player and the extra $4M in salary would actually cost the Bulls about $11M this season. Next season, if Gay were to pick up his option, the $19.3M would actually cost the Bulls about $46M ($19.3M + $12M exposed to luxury tax and repeater tax).

Plus this summer they are left with just the MLE to bring over Mirotic.

I don't think that suggestion is very likely.
                          Deng might be a more efficient player, but Gay might actually be a better fit. Jimmy Butler can defend the other team's best wing (which used to be Deng's job), Gay gives Chicago another scorer which is what they need more than a catch and shoot guy like Deng.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                            Deng might be a more efficient player, but Gay might actually be a better fit. Jimmy Butler can defend the other team's best wing (which used to be Deng's job), Gay gives Chicago another scorer which is what they need more than a catch and shoot guy like Deng.
                            Would you pay $46M for Gay?

Because that is what you are suggesting the Bulls do if he picks up his option.

By the way, Gay would not be a better fit. Deng can score when needed, rebound, defend, and this year he is creating for others.

Bulls already have a ball dominant player and his name is Derrick Rose.

Comment

Think Minny is the best fit/has the best pieces to return. They are in "keep K-Love" mode starting now--apparently D Williams and Svhed on the block, and would probably be willing to part with a draft pick.

Derozan might be the more realistic player to go to Minny in this hypothetical...considering salary

Comment

Working...
                              X