Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teams that might have an interest in Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    If Bennett keeps playing terrible in Cleveland they may decide to cut their losses and make him available.

Bennett, Gee, and Clark for Gay works.

Cleveland doesn't give up any player that gets minutes except Gee, and Gay will eat up all of Gee's minutes and then some. They also don't have to give up any draft picks. I'm fairly certain Gay's presence could push them over the hump and get them into the playoffs, which is clearly their goal this year ($12+M to Bynum!).

Toronto gets back a young Canadian player with tons of potential, and gets significantly worse to aid in the tank job. Basically it's trading Gay for a #1 pick and seems exactly like the clever kind of move Masai could pull.
    That dollars need to add up to $12.88M. Off by about $60K.

Between $9.9-19.9M salaries only be separated by 150% +$100k or $5M for teams over cap.

Comment

Forget Bennett, get me Tristan Thompson
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Between $9.9-19.9M salaries only be separated by 150% +$100k or $5M for teams over cap.
        You are correct, I knew it was close and didn't bother to add it all the way up (Clark is currently blocked in trade checker so I was just eyeballing it). Guess they'd need to throw in Dellavdeova too. Same reasoning for both teams still holds.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Forget Bennett, get me Tristan Thompson
          I don't see them giving up on Thompson, especially not for Gay. Trading Thompson for Gay is probably going to pull them even further out of playoff contention so it doesn't make sense on their end.

Comment

Another thought on Charlotte:

I don't think they are a joke anymore. There is a very realistic possibility they finish 9th or 10th in the east this year.

In a situation like that, they lose their pick to Chicago with a high lottery pick.

If they are going to lose their pick, I would think they would do everything they can to at least make it in the 15-17 range.

On Detroit:

Their lineup of Smith/Monroe/Drummond is failing in the very way few thought it would: on defense.

With Charlotte holding their pick top 8 protected, they might be very well inclined with the same motivations as Charlotte: give up a 15-17 pick versus a 9-11 pick.

Patience is going to be key - which is not something I should preach I know

As the games get played and the standings evolve, teams are going to be making decisions how they want to roll this year. I still believe Charlotte, Detroit, and Cleveland are going to be all in on making the playoffs.

Comment

If you're waiting until December 15 so Cleveland can free up agents, Andrew Bynum - who is simply a shell of his former self - makes far more sense than Clark/Gee. Bynum+Bennett works just fine.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                If you're waiting until December 15 so Cleveland can free up agents, Andrew Bynum - who is simply a shell of his former self - makes far more sense than Clark/Gee. Bynum+Bennett works just fine.
                But Bynum as a shell is still better than most bigs in the league, I think. I can't see Cleveland making the commitment. Once that contract is guaranteed I see Bynum going to the first bowling alley he finds.

To be clear though, I would absolutely positively 100% love to get that contract from Cleveland about 3 weeks prior January 7th.

Comment

I would just like to point out that the last bubble team that was hoping Gay was the missing piece to push them in the playoffs was.............The raptors. Look how well that turned out. I don't think other GM's forgot a few months later.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, Ed Davis, and a point guard the GM announced eight months earlier he was going to trade by the deadline. Why is it that the majority of trade proposals think we'll get a promising prospect+1st round pick+ veterans to make the money work ? i mean what is this based on ? his All-star/All-NBA/League leading something ? is it his playoff experience of 1 series ? or are we still using the potential to become ......... 8 years into the league ?

I get it, Masai is good, but to pull off some of the trades people expect, i think he might just be waiting for another GM to have a brain fart like the knicks did.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                    I would just like to point out that the last bubble team that was hoping Gay was the missing piece to push them in the playoffs was.............The raptors. Look how well that turned out. I don't think other GM's forgot a few months later.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, Ed Davis, and a point guard the GM announced eight months earlier he was going to trade by the deadline. Why is it that the majority of trade proposals think we'll get a promising prospect+1st round pick+ veterans to make the money work ? i mean what is this based on ? his All-star/All-NBA/League leading something ? is it his playoff experience of 1 series ? or are we still using the potential to become ......... 8 years into the league ?

I get it, Masai is good, but to pull off some of the trades people expect, i think he might just be waiting for another GM to have a brain fart like the knicks did.
                    Memphis wasn't taking back big salary, they were limited.

I think teams who might have interest in gay (Cleveland Charlotte Detroit) have better rosters than raps did last year.

Comment

Memphis wasn't taking back big salary, they were limited.

I think teams who might have interest in gay (Cleveland Charlotte Detroit) have better rosters than raps did last year.
                      I understand Memphis wasn't taking back any salary ? but are we ? taking expirings is not taking back salary, we'd need to take a 3 year contract to make advantageous for the other team otherwise its either a wash or they are doing us the favor. (You can't force Rudy Gay to opt in or out before june 30th, especially to a team not of his choosing, that's the point of player option its HIS choice not masai not fans)

The main question remains, How is Rudy Gay suppose to help those teams ? by stoppping the ball and learning their system on the fly ? Last year our excuse was that rudy didn't get a full training camp, but if he goes to another team he won't need it to help them ?

That's my problem with those trade talks, its like we're not only trading to another team, we're trading to another universe, where the same laws of physics and logic don't apply to the other team. I've actually seen posts starting with Derozan & Gay need to go because they can't do X Y Z, and later in the same post saying another team would do this trade because they are good at X Y Z.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                        I understand Memphis wasn't taking back any salary ? but are we ? taking expirings is not taking back salary, we'd need to take a 3 year contract to make advantageous for the other team otherwise its either a wash or they are doing us the favor. (You can't force Rudy Gay to opt in or out before june 30th, especially to a team not of his choosing, that's the point of player option its HIS choice not masai not fans)

The main question remains, How is Rudy Gay suppose to help those teams ? by stoppping the ball and learning their system on the fly ? Last year our excuse was that rudy didn't get a full training camp, but if he goes to another team he won't need it to help them ?

That's my problem with those trade talks, its like we're not only trading to another team, we're trading to another universe, where the same laws of physics and logic don't apply to the other team. I've actually seen posts starting with Derozan & Gay need to go because they can't do X Y Z, and later in the same post saying another team would do this trade because they are good at X Y Z.
                        Rudy has his warts but he is waaaaaay better than anything Cleveland, Detroit, or Charlotte currently have.

Comment

Count me in for Rudy for Po and Gordon
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I am putting CLeveland at the top of the Gay trade list.

LeBron is looking to bring a MLS franchise to Miami.

He isn't leaving.

Comment

I am putting CLeveland at the top of the Gay trade list.

LeBron is looking to bring a MLS franchise to Miami.

He isn't leaving.
                              http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/16...eckham?cc=5901

"The research is still being made out, but I think it can be huge," said James, a four-time league MVP and two-time champion. "But you never know. I think this is a great town for soccer. There are a lot of soccer players here. There is a lot of great youth soccer here."

James said his interest in the sport has grown in the two years since he secured a business partnership with Fenway Sports Group to purchase Liverpool. James spent time in England touring the team's facilities and meeting with players after he won his first NBA championship with the Heat in 2012.

If James and Beckham reach agreement on the MLS team, it will be the latest of several business ventures James is attached to in South Florida. He already owns a sports apparel store in a suburban Miami mall, and his wife, Savannah, is set to open a juice bar near the couple's home in Coconut Grove.

The business moves, coupled with James' success on the court the past two seasons, have many fans in Miami hoping the ventures are signs he will remain with the Heat in the long term. James could opt out of the final two years of his Heat contract after this season to pursue free agency.

Both James and his wife have said their business ventures are independent from James' basketball-related decisions. The potential to get more involved with soccer in Miami also was popular with his two young sons.

Comment

Unfortunately that sh!t matters... a lot.

Also it has to make sense for Toronto. Are they going to get cap relief, prospects, picks, or a decent player on a decent contract?

FWIW, I like Cavs, Pistons, and Bobcats as teams with means to acquire and retain Gay as well as having assets that would interest Toronto. I'd like to include Bucks but I can't see them doing a possible Reddick style deal two years in a row.
                                Agreed with Cavs, Pistons (J Smith is more 4, they would not commit to Monroe) & Cats (MKG? -would MJ be that nice to us?). I would include Buck as they seem desperate to make playoffs. Same might hold for Washington (GM desperate to keep his job).

Comment

Working...
                                X