Is JV a potential franchise player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's a subconscious game everyone plays these days. "When a young player is selected, what past or present superstar does he remind you of?" It's a silly game....but it is what it is.
    We've gone way past that when we're talking perennial all-star and future hall of famer before he's even been bought out in Europe. At the end of the day that stuff wouldn't bother me if I didn't know from past experiences that this place is going to light up with "Trade JV" themed threads by Christmas 2012.

I should prepare some generic responses now like "he's only a rookie" and "most big men need two to three seasons to become effective, you're overreacting".

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No arguments from me on the matter. I just have been searching for any excuse to throw in a link to the Pointer Sisters for nearly 2 years now
    LOL, no doubt you had to make a decision in a small window of opportunity.

Comment

Maybe we Should start a poll about which point of criticism will be most heard in december. Possibilities are: 1 foultrouble ("Even Amir played smarter"), 2 turnovers ("Geez, every single time he puts it on the floor he loses it! God, what an idiot!"), 3..., 4...,

Comment

MLSE isn't doing him any favours by filming a 2 part documentary. I don't remember such attention being given to any of our previous picks.

Comment

I can't remember another Raptors lottery pick not playing in the year he was drafted.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I can't remember another Raptors lottery pick not playing in the year he was drafted.
            But why should that warrant extra hype?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              But why should that warrant extra hype?
              Keep the fans happy while they wait.

Comment

Which adds to the heightened expectations, and the eventual criticism the moment he struggles.

Comment

That's your choice. The video isn't going to tell you he can walk on water, that's your choice to believe such a thing. Unfortunately for him, he's the guy that's going to suffer the wrath when he's in over his head. It will be unwarranted, just like 99% of the other cases.

Comment

the problem with this city is we are almost begging for a savior to come along. JV has to prove day in and day out that he is here to play ball and I will not be crowning anyone after 1 or 2 seasons cause I dont care how good a individual player is I want to see playoffs and championships.

Comment

On the plus side the team will be much improved next year due to a full summer training camp, Vegas games, more experience for current players under Casey's system, DeMar/Ed/James Johnson, a year older/stronger/more experienced, free agency and there will be another young and talented prospect for JV to play along side. The focus of Raptor nation won't be squarely on JV, but also on whomever we draft (including 2nd rounders), and the free agent(s).

It's actually a good time to be joining the Raptors.

Gosh Damn! Just writing out all the positives heading into next seasons got me all juiced!

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        On the plus side the team will be much improved next year due to a full summer training camp, Vegas games, more experience for current players under Casey's system, DeMar/Ed/James Johnson, a year older/stronger/more experienced, free agency and there will be another young and talented prospect for JV to play along side. The focus of Raptor nation won't be squarely on JV, but also on whomever we draft (including 2nd rounders), and the free agent(s).

Gosh Damn! Just writing out all the positives heading into next seasons got me all juiced!
                        That is a really good point that has been neglected in this thread. There will also be another high draft pick. The "1st round draft pick" spotlight will be shared.

Also, there will be a lot of excitement over any meaningful trade and the player(s) it returns. There will also be free agency.

Trades and free agency usually do not get the critical attention that 1st round lottery picks get but at least there will be 2 lottery picks to share the attention.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post

Yeah, the other rookie will have pressure as well but that's not going to lower expectations for JV. There is lots of wrath to go around, don't worry about that.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            the reason is he is too hard to market....his face on all the posters will frighten the children and attract hillbillies from the outskirts to come and see games. The last thing you want is people from Aylmer driving in for games
                            Umm we had an ostrich/velociraptor as the face of the franchise here for 6 seasons. I don't think marketing will be much of an issue here.

Comment

So if Raps happen to draft #1, that might take all the pressure from JV and place it on AD's shoulders. However, I don't think that either of those two are weak mentally. I can sense an urge to be the best and a winner mentality in both of them.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                                Umm we had an ostrich/velociraptor as the face of the franchise here for 6 seasons. I don't think marketing will be much of an issue here.
                                Naw, he looks like a brontosaurus.

Comment

Working...
                                X