Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    I almost threw my remote at the TV
    I did feel just that for about 15 minutes. Then I started thinking about this draft. I think with this question of talent that Kemba Walker could be @ 5 and who knows if he might be one of the first rounders to shine. Our luck is as good as anyone else. We got a good start in TO. Not having one of the top 3 really takes a lot of pressure away. And I believe with a 5 pick BC will find someone good. His track record shows this pattern.

Everyone wants a CP, Dwight, Wade or Rose for their top pick. Anything else is a miss. Well this draft seems like a miss. Where someone chosen later could be one of the steals of the round. We do not know how they will respond to the NBA. Picks from 5-8 have often been very successful. At the same rate as top picks. We just need to find the right one.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

• Ugh, come back from work only to find that Raptors get the 5th pick, go figure. To make matters worse, Cleveland lands the 1st and 4th pick, looks like Stern is giving them the quick fix. This franchise, as it stands now anyways, will have to go through another season in the cellar. Is it even worth holding onto this pick anymore? Irving, Williams, Kanter will all be gone, probably Brandon Knight too, what does 5th leave us? Kemba, Motiejunas, Valanciunas, Vesley, Leonard, Biyombo, etc.... Hopefully Colangelo's great draft record will find us a sleeper at 5, or pull off some kind of trade magic.

Weak draft I know..but damn....all that tanking for this?
      Last edited by Tank; Tue May 17, 2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• One of the worst possible things that could happen to the Raptors. You could see the disappointment in BC's face when it was announced we had the 5th pick in a weak draft. How does this team finish 3rd and end up with a 5th pick. Meanwhile, Cleveland's 9th pick turned into the 4th and Utah's 5th or 6th pick turns into the 3rd? Something is definitely not right here.

Anyhow, what do we do with this 5th pick? I'm thinking Cleveland takes Irving, Minnesota takes either Kanter or Williams. Not sure who Utah and Cleveland take with the 3rd and 4th pick. I think we'll be left picking Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight.

What would it take to move up in the draft? The 5th pick and ?

Do we just trade the 5th for something else?

Comment

• Let's look at the bright side ... Raptors won the lottery few years ago when they had 5th chance and they picked Bargnani. This time, Raptors gets the 5th pick with the 3rd chance, let's hope the pick is going to make up for not having a top 3 pick. In the end, we have to remember Wade was drafted with the 5th pick .... GO RAPTORS!

Comment

• Tank wrote: View Post
            Ugh, come back from work only to find that Raptors get the 5th pick, go figure. To make matters worse, Cleveland lands the 1st and 4th pick, looks like Stern is giving them the quick fix. This franchise, as it stands now anyways, will have to go through another season in the cellar. Is it even worth holding onto this pick anymore? Irving, Williams, Kanter will all be gone, probably Brandon Knight too, what does 5th leave us? Kemba, Motiejunas, Valanciunas, Vesley, Leonard, Biyombo, etc.... Hopefully Colangelo's great draft record will find us a sleeper at 5, or pull off some kind of trade magic.

Weak draft I know..but damn....all that tanking for this?
            Well, if Cleveland picks Irving #1, it's very unlikely that Knight will also be off the board (unlikely he goes in the top 3, and why would Cleveland pick 2 PGs?). More likely that one of the bigs (Valanciunas or Biyombo) or a wing (Leonard) will be off the board, leaving us with Walker, Knight and whatever isn't picked at #4.

Comment

• Bryan Colangelo on No. 5 pick in the NBA draft: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Comment

• Quixotic wrote: View Post
                Well, if Cleveland picks Irving #1, it's very unlikely that Knight will also be off the board (unlikely he goes in the top 3, and why would Cleveland pick 2 PGs?). More likely that one of the bigs (Valanciunas or Biyombo) or a wing (Leonard) will be off the board, leaving us with Walker, Knight and whatever isn't picked at #4.
                Good point actually.

Comment

• Wade was drafted fourth in arguably the deepest draft, we get 5th pick in the worst draft ever...

Comment

• jd4 wrote: View Post
                    One of the worst possible things that could happen to the Raptors. You could see the disappointment in BC's face when it was announced we had the 5th pick in a weak draft. How does this team finish 3rd and end up with a 5th pick. Meanwhile, Cleveland's 9th pick turned into the 4th and Utah's 5th or 6th pick turns into the 3rd? Something is definitely not right here.

Anyhow, what do we do with this 5th pick? I'm thinking Cleveland takes Irving, Minnesota takes either Kanter or Williams. Not sure who Utah and Cleveland take with the 3rd and 4th pick. I think we'll be left picking Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight.

C'mon Tank. We'll be ok. I have settled on the fact that this is one of those Russian Roulette drafts. We'll score big or fail big. And drafting 5 does not hurt us. We'll just have to see who we get. And I did not see BC look bothered. He has to know this better than anyone. There is talent there that can really help us right now. Can they choose the right one?
                    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

• jd4 wrote: View Post
                      One of the worst possible things that could happen to the Raptors. You could see the disappointment in BC's face when it was announced we had the 5th pick in a weak draft. How does this team finish 3rd and end up with a 5th pick. Meanwhile, Cleveland's 9th pick turned into the 4th and Utah's 5th or 6th pick turns into the 3rd? Something is definitely not right here.

Just a correction: Cleveland's #8 pick turned into the #1 pick. Their #2 pick turned into the #4 pick. And it was Utah's #6 that turned into the #3. It happens. The thing about the lottery is, if you get to draw the balls 1000 times, everything would happen as predicted, but since it's a one-time affair, it doesn't matter who was more likely to get the pick.

I think we should still make the pick. There's not likely to be much we could trade for (if we wanted to trade out of the draft) that would really help our team in the long-run.

Comment

• bballnut27 wrote: View Post
                        Wade was drafted fourth in arguably the deepest draft, we get 5th pick in the worst draft ever...
                        We took Bosh @ 3. How did that work out? Imagine us having one of the best ballers in the game. Versus us having one of the worst semi-stars in the game. What a tease.

You get:
                        Wade / James
                        Bosh / Darko

That's the NBA. A little roulette. Every time.

Comment

• Next year's draft is a lot deeper. The Raps should trade this pick for an additional lottery pick next year. And then trade whatever players are necessary for yet another one. And then buy one (mid-first rounders are always for sale). They might be able to rebuild the team in one draft if they get lucky.

Comment

• I don't mind 5 cause there is no pressure to take the consensus top players.

my short list :
                            kemba walker (worried about his height but I like him)
                            kawhi leonard (I think he can play 2 if derozan doesn't learn to play better defense)
                            kenneth faried (will probably have the best career out of the five I listed)
                            bismack biyombo (if we don't take faried I can live with this guy)
                            reggie jackson (I like his game)

Comment

• insight_tor wrote: View Post
                              Let's look at the bright side ... Raptors won the lottery few years ago when they had 5th chance and they picked Bargnani. This time, Raptors gets the 5th pick with the 3rd chance, let's hope the pick is going to make up for not having a top 3 pick. In the end, we have to remember Wade was drafted with the 5th pick .... GO RAPTORS!
                              Yeah, but they would have taken Bargnani with the fifth pick as well.

Comment

• what would you do if you were cleveland? I would take williams first overall and then take a chance on biyombo if he pans out they have their front court for the next 10 years

Comment

Working...
                                X