This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    @Apollo/Joey: sent you guys a pm yesterday about a trade in our league which I don't think works under our CBA.
    Thanks for sharp eye, Euro. I will look into this this evening.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Thanks for sharp eye, Euro. I will look into this this evening.
      I might be wrong; not sure about the uptodateness of the caps.

Comment

• OK so to see if I am correct.

To start the season I my player allocation was at 35, meaning I had 5 years available to get to the cap. I dropped some players and picked some up as free agents. I understand the players released do not come off my allocation, and the free agents count as 1 year each unless specified otherwise. So I went from 35 to 38, made a trade of a 1 year player for a 1 year player and now am still at 38.

IS that right?
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
          OK so to see if I am correct.

To start the season I my player allocation was at 35, meaning I had 5 years available to get to the cap. I dropped some players and picked some up as free agents. I understand the players released do not come off my allocation, and the free agents count as 1 year each unless specified otherwise. So I went from 35 to 38, made a trade of a 1 year player for a 1 year player and now am still at 38.

IS that right?
          Yes

Comment

If you drop a player his contract will be counting against your cap no matter if someone else picks him up or not.
            Okay. Something we may want to look at in future seasons is changing this. It seems more logical that if somebody else picks him up, he no longer counts against your cap as well. I suppose potential modifications could be proposed and discussed in the off-season? Something like 2/3's or 3/4's have to vote in favour to effect a change.

Comment

• I think we should only do that if someone picks him up while on waivers. If he clears waivers he should still count against your cap and not the other guy's cap. This would reflect the way it's really handled in pro leagues. It also adds another level of strategy because then you need to ask yourself should you wait for the player to clear waivers or should you take on his contract value? It also adds strategy to the team thinking about dumping a player: Will you get off the hook if you waiver him or will you be paying for a player on another team's roster?

Comment

• Update Salary Cap Allocation - problems with a recent trade

Hi everyone,

I'll be updating the Salary Cap Allocation from now on. A recent version of the cap allocation can be found through this link for online viewing or download in pdf-format.

Some recent trades and moves by Tucas, Coastal and WJF are not processed in this capsheet because of cap problems with these trade between coastal and WJF. Joey, Apollo (and/or possible me) will inform you about consequences as quickly as possible. It's probable that trades and moves with players involved after the trade will be rescinded.

If a player in the capsheet is marked with a '*' this means this player will be an unrestricted free agent after the season because he was signed when you were up or over the cap.

For comments and discussion please use this thread.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'll be updating the Salary Cap Allocation from now on. A recent version of the cap allocation can be found through this link for online viewing or download in pdf-format.

Some recent trades and moves by Tucas, Coastal and WJF are not processed in this capsheet because of cap problems with these trade between coastal and WJF. Joey, Apollo (and/or possible me) will inform you about consequences as quickly as possible. It's probable that trades and moves with players involved after the trade will be rescinded.

If a player in the capsheet is marked with a '*' this means this player will be an unrestricted free agent after the season because he was signed when you were up or over the cap.

For comments and discussion please use this thread.
                  Great job!
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• This is probably my own fault for misunderstanding but i add no idea my recent adds from the waiver wire would result in me being 2 years over the cap.

But it seems as though when i drop a 1 year player for a waiver wire player (thus 1 year contract), the player i drop AND the new player count against my cap? Thus every player picked up adds a year? Which explains why i am at 42 years... I'm over the cap, so is there some kind of penalty for this?

Comment

• skywalker wrote: View Post
                      This is probably my own fault for misunderstanding but i add no idea my recent adds from the waiver wire would result in me being 2 years over the cap.

But it seems as though when i drop a 1 year player for a waiver wire player (thus 1 year contract), the player i drop AND the new player count against my cap? Thus every player picked up adds a year? Which explains why i am at 42 years... I'm over the cap, so is there some kind of penalty for this?
                      I was with you in thinking that the guys picked up as free agents could be added and dropped with no hit to the cap. It is like having guys on non-guaranteed deals, when you cut them it costs you nothing. I guess we were both wrong.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• skywalker wrote: View Post
                        This is probably my own fault for misunderstanding but i add no idea my recent adds from the waiver wire would result in me being 2 years over the cap.

WJF wrote: View Post
                        I was with you in thinking that the guys picked up as free agents could be added and dropped with no hit to the cap. It is like having guys on non-guaranteed deals, when you cut them it costs you nothing. I guess we were both wrong.
                        This has been discussed pretty extensively on the this thread and is in the league rules as posted by Apollo on the group page. Nevertheless I get that some people have other things to do besides being a fantasy manager and might miss stuff.

We have a pro-workers league, so if you sign someone it's for a guaranteed contract. Even if you drop someone and re-sign him later, he gets two contracts.

There are no direct penalties for being over the cap. Consequences are twofold: 1. After you are at or over the cap you can't sign free-agents to restricted contracts, meaning you don't have first right to re-sign them after the season. 2. You can't have more contractyears coming in than going out in a trade.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          That's not what the rules page states. I'll take responsibility for this because I said I would be review the trades and it didn't happen.

Pg. 1, post #1:
                          Released players' contracts will continue to count against a team's cap.

Comment

• Glad to see I wasn't the only one confused. As per Soft Euro's request, here's what I posted on our yahoo league page as a possible solution to the particular trade in question.

"I wasn't thinking of the 1 year players I dropped as continuing to count against the cap. In the trade in question, I received 6 years of contracts back, and then sent 5 years to the other team. At the time of this trade I guess I was at 40 years (had 37 in my head).

Would an acceptable solution be me amnestying Al Harrington? He has a one year contract, which would off-set the additional year I received in the trade. My subsequent pick-up of Meyers Leonard would then leave me at 41 years, with one empty roster spot."

Anyways, there it is. I think it's a reasonable solution to this particular circumstance.

Cheers.

Comment

There are no direct penalties for being over the cap. Consequences are twofold: 1. After you are at or over the cap you can't sign free-agents to restricted contracts, meaning you don't have first right to re-sign them after the season. 2. You can't have more contractyears coming in than going out in a trade.
                              Once again, my apologies for my delayed understanding, but I just might be starting to grasp it lol .... So in theory, a team could be presently at or over the cap and still make a few pick up and drops, and his 'cap' could be 45 or even more, and the only penalty is that they don't have first crack at signing the waiver wire pick ups made while 'over' the cap?

We are only allowed to make 2 player extensions anyway right? Am i right in assuming those player extensions can only be given to those on our teams who have 1 year contracts? (as anyone on a 2 year would already be locked up?) ... therefore theoretically the 'worst' thing that can happen to an over the cap team is that while over the cap they pick up this year's "Jeremy Lin" and at the end of the year have to let him go?

Thanks again everyone for the help

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't someone mention before that if you were at 40 years, you could still continue to add/drop off the waiver wire but the consequence would be only keeping them for that year? Like if I had 40, I could keep rolling in 1 for 1 add drops? or is that against the rules?
                                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Working...
                                X