Dwight Buycks is no joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post
    you might be right, but i really hope you aren't...

if he is so shit than why even sign him?
    why bother giving him a shot at proving us wrong and not sign any other UDFA pg that doesn't have his abilities?
    we could probably get a player like that for less money.. NBA scouts must see something in that kids athleticism that separates him from others, no?
    He's a low risk- high reward type. You don't have much invested in him. he doesn't work out you can cut him no harm, no foul. If he does work out and turns into something, well that only makes you(Ujiri) look good.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post

looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...
      He's really athletic out there and agressive. Not settling for a jumpshot. That's where I actually feel like he will struggle. This is summer league, so defenders aren't as great as those in the NBA and also it won't be as easy for him to get to the paint especially with NBA bigs. I feel like he should develop more of a consistent jumpshot along with his aggressive drives to the basket.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
        He's really athletic out there and agressive. Not settling for a jumpshot. That's where I actually feel like he will struggle. This is summer league, so defenders aren't as great as those in the NBA and also it won't be as easy for him to get to the paint especially with NBA bigs. I feel like he should develop more of a consistent jumpshot along with his aggressive drives to the basket.
        No left hand at all. all his layups were with his right hand, even from the left side of the basket. It will take about 35 seconds for opposing scouts to figure him out. He will be much easier to defend with no left hand.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          No left hand at all. all his layups were with his right hand, even from the left side of the basket. It will take about 35 seconds for opposing scouts to figure him out. He will be much easier to defend with no left hand.
          I am not entirely sure about that....funnily enuff at approx. 0.14 secs he goes left handed to the rim. He also crosses over really well using both hands of course and I could swear I have seen him make left handed passes in a couple of the games (with t/os I admit!). I agree though that for most of this vid he uses his right h. to finish. Since he seems to have control with both handling the ball I think this vid series of shots maybe an aberration...or coaches can alert him.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            He does have a preference to the right, but there were various left handed layups, and those right hand on left side, its when he's in traffic, it puts a body between the defender and the ball, protecting from a block, and for drawing a foul. He used his left hand on the right side of the basket.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              I am not entirely sure about that....funnily enuff at approx. 0.14 secs he goes left handed to the rim. ...
              My mistake. He definitely uses his left on that one. Still seems like an extremely heavy reliance on his right hand, but we'll only see during season games. Looking forward to it. Hope he works out.

Comment

I guess the question really is, is he a better option than JL3? The tandem of Augustin AND Buyckes has to be better than Telfair and JL3 right??

Comment

They are better due to their youth and lower wages. That's about it imo.

Comment

Buycks seems better than JLIII. Maybe not as good from deep, but everything else is probably on par or better

Comment

Found an interesting article on Buycks:

Just over two weeks ago, Dwight Buycks started his summer league by scoring 12 points and dishing 13 assists. When Oklahoma City played its final game that Friday, he didn't suit up. On the strength of his four games -- and his MVP season last year in the French Pro A League -- the Toronto Raptors offered him a one-year, fully-guaranteed contract. He accepted.
                      Buycks is sitting in a cramped locker room at the Thomas & Mack Center, having just played his final summer league game for the Raptors. Against the Phoenix Suns on Saturday, he erupted for 28 points on 11-for-20 shooting, adding four rebounds and four assists. As Buycks, Vegas summer league's leader in points (23.0) and assists (7.0) per game, tells a group of reporters about his journey, his teammates compliment him at the other side of the room. After this he'll go home to Milwaukee and spend his time working out at Marquette, his alma mater, then it'll be time for training camp and his first NBA season.
                      "Are you gonna stop?" Buycks says. "By not getting drafted, are you gonna stop and just say, ‘Well, that's what I wanted to do, it didn't happen so now I'm just going to wait,' or are you just gonna say, ‘Okay, I didn't get drafted, now let's get to work for the next day and see what we can do and see if something else can happen?'"
                      "[He] earned everything, and I respect his battle and his grind," Raptors power forward Quincy Acy says after heaping praise upon Buycks for his basketball IQ, competitiveness and unselfishness. "Can't say enough about him."
                      As the Raptors roster stands, it looks like Buycks will battle with the recently signed D.J. Augustin for minutes behind starter Kyle Lowry. With Augustin's five years of NBA experience and top-10 pick pedigree, Buycks might be considered the underdog. If Buycks' last couple of weeks tell us anything, though, it's that these things can change quickly.
                      http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/2...e-2013-raptors
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I'm pretty sure JL3 couldn't even go left so... Buycks not using his left hand isn't the end of the world, but yeah, this guy seems fun and all but I doubt he averages more than 7 minutes a game.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Somebody knows a link to the summerleague games?

Comment

I didn't watch any of the games, but I did watch the highlight reel posted above. He probably has he ability to beat his man off the bounce, but the help D and rim protection is much better in the NBA. Unfortunately I think he only finishes 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 of those drives against an NBA defense. Good to see he had a nice game and I'd love for him to beat out Augustin for the back up spot, but I'm not nearly as high on him as I was before watching the highlight reel. I guess y'all just talked him up to much!
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                              I didn't watch any of the games, but I did watch the highlight reel posted above. He probably has he ability to beat his man off the bounce, but the help D and rim protection is much better in the NBA. Unfortunately I think he only finishes 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 of those drives against an NBA defense. Good to see he had a nice game and I'd love for him to beat out Augustin for the back up spot, but I'm not nearly as high on him as I was before watching the highlight reel. I guess y'all just talked him up to much!
                              It's called a HIGHlight reel for a reason. Haha.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Guys, we're talking about a guy in the same level as Patty Mills and Sundiata Gaines. If he can stay in the league for as long as they have then it's most likely because he didn't screw up and not because he's a game changer. I know when you're a Raptors fan you want to grasp at every straw and use it as an angle for why we're going to be successful, but lets be realistic about the Buycks signing.

Comment

Working...
                                X