No announcement yet.

How important is Lowry to this team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically it boils down to this: Lowry is either going to get a max offer (16m+) from a team looking to jump up in a hurry or he won't get that.

If he gets one, he's getting one from the likes of Detroit (move Jennings to SG - or try to dump him to another team somehow), the Knicks (sign and trade for Amare + picks), the Lakers (sign and trade Nash + picks), Houston (sign and trade Lin/Asik + picks) or maybeeeee Orlando (move Oladipo back to SG where he belongs, use their good pick this year on a quality wing or PF instead of a point guard) or Milwaukee (your classic "new owners overpay for a star" move). Because signing Lowry is a win-now move for anybody else, and most other teams are either not in win-now mode or already have answers at PG.

If Lowry gets a max deal and wants to match - we can't afford that, not realistically, so we wish him the best and move on, probably pull some trades to make sure Tyler Ennis shows up in Toronto and the fans will forgive all concerned.

If Lowry DOESN'T get the max deal offer from someone else (and he may well not - he's still an attitude case to a lot of people in the league and a lot of smart people have said, over and over, that he's found his fit here), then we offer him a generous but not crazy deal - I think we top out at $12.5m per year for four years, which gives Lowry a $50m deal overall (which is the sort of silly thing that can matter to a player's pride - "X SIGNS $50M DEAL" is a headline to be proud of, after all, moreso than 48m or 46m).

Comment

Wiggins wrote: View Post
      Lowry is EASILY replaceable.
      If this is true, DeRozan, Jonas, Amir and Ross are also "easily replaceable".

Comment

Losing Lowry is bigger because it means rthe Raptors will always lose its best player its more psychological than his value as a PG. If MLSE loses Lowry because they wouldnt offer 4@48 then VC was right to quit on this team.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          If this is true, DeRozan, Jonas, Amir and Ross are also "easily replaceable".
          LOL don't even bother, that guy's whole schtick is trolling Lowry
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Losing Lowry is bigger because it means rthe Raptors will always lose its best player its more psychological than his value as a PG. If MLSE loses Lowry because they wouldnt offer 4@48 then VC was right to quit on this team.

That doesnt make sense. The owners are different. The management are different. The coaches are different and so are the players. No player is bigger than the TEAM.

Comment

If they don't resign Lowry to a reasonable offer then what's the point. If another team offered 4@60 then goodbye to Lowry and good luck. Otherwise why support a team that doesn't try to win. That's why I hate the Leafs any crap fills seats.

Comment

Lowry is EASILY replaceable.
                Poppy cock

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  i know most here think it's nothing but the fact he's never said once that he wants to stay here is mildly concerning to me
                  True......

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  He's a UFA his agent told him to shut his pie hole. Leiweke says he staying so I'd say there's a good chance of that
                  .....and exactly.

This is the reality of this summer's free agency:

This isn’t what the wretched of the NBA expected after slashing payrolls and trading front-line players for No. 1 picks. If the 2014 draft class wasn’t all it was supposed to be, there may barely be a 2014 free agent class.
                  “Now,” says an NBA GM, “you’ve got Luol Deng, Kyle Lowry and Marcin Gortat. “And then we’re done.”
                  After that, the Bulls could offer Anthony a $16 million starting salary in a four-year deal worth $71 million, vs. five years worth $129 million in New York.
                  *if he signed with the Lakers it would be the same thing: $71M vs. $129M.

Hyping possibilities that are off the board beats real life with Lowry, Deng and Gortat at the head of a list otherwise comprised of the aging, infirm or complementary (Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Andrew Bogut, Mario Chalmers, Spencer Hawes, Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Caron Butler, Paul Pierce).

How about if the Bulls send Butler and their two No. 1s to Minnesota for Kevin Love, whom they then trade for Melo?

No, it’s not happening. Yes, you will hear a lot about it in the interim.
                  http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheis...n-wade-dirk/2/

Not a good year for free agency.... especially if you are a Raptor fan.

Comment

it would take at least a 5 year 60 million or 4 year 52 million to sign him.

Comment

That would make him the second highest paid PG. He isn't worth that much except to teams that are in complete rebuild like Lakers, Bucks.

Comment

Snizzoop wrote: View Post
                        How important is Lowry to this team? - VERY!

According to Cathal Kelly at the Globe and Mail... - Cathal isn't at The Star anymore? I stopped going there once they introduced the pay wall.

The bold is interesting - no? - Yes...in particular, "MLSE has gone so far down the road to planning a future with Lowry that, were he to leave, he would be derailing the train."
                        C Kelly is one one of the main sports reporters for the globe. His first column was an opus on Dave nonissue after the Shanahan hiring. He should bring some good stuff and we can all leave that star paywall behind

Comment

Sorry math got screwed up I thought is was 14 mil a season. That seems high but in the ballpark

Comment

I think you guys are understating how much Lowry loves his team. He'll stay if Ujiri keeps the starters intact. I'm guessing 10~12M for four years. I don't think GV is gonna stay. He's gonna go hunt for a starting job and the raps won't match because it'll be for more than we can afford to pay.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              LOL don't even bother, that guy's whole schtick is trolling Lowry
                              derozan and jv are not easily replaceable but amir and ross are.
                              and i'm not trolling lowry, he's just not that good.

Comment

derozan and jv are not easily replaceable but amir and ross are.
                                and i'm not trolling lowry, he's just not that good.
                                Lol!!

Amir and Lowry are incredibly hard to replace. Amir is playing at like Ibaka level. Lowry is playing at like championship Billips level. Those are freaking hard to replace.

Ross and JV are replaceable, but since they are likely to improve quite a bit yet it isn't wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X