The annual "15 pounds of muscle" watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    the best part of this is he is wrong...he gained the weight by being in the weight room and lifting since he wasn't playing
    It seems unlikely that an athlete in his 8th year as a professional could put on 15 pounds of muscle simply from hitting the weight room. Unless putting on 15 pounds of muscle was a goal that he and his trainer set out to do that just doesn't happen.

15 pounds of fat however.....that does just happen.

Comment

you don't think Bargnani with nothing to do but workout and lift for six months can't manage to put 15lbs of muscle on?
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Have you ever trained hard enough to put on 3lbs of muscle in a month? Then follow that up with intensive training for five more months to make it 18?
        In the past 6 months I've put over 20 pounds of muscle. Have you ever worked out?

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          you don't think Bargnani with nothing to do but workout and lift for six months can't manage to put 15lbs of muscle on?
          May be tough for people who have never spent time in the weightroom to understand.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
            May be tough for people who have never spent time in the weightroom to understand.
            Do you understand the difference between yourself and a professional athlete?
            You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.

Comment

We all know that Bargs is not going to change much body-wise for the duration of this career, unless he gets injured and fat.

Comment

Adding the word 'muscle' after "gained X pounds of" is so misleading. Take the hodgetwins with a grain of salt, but this is a funny word of caution to any "gains" stories.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                  Spent time in the weight room, got certified as a personal trainer, spent years studying and reading about exercise, nutrition and weight lifting.

If you are putting on more than .5 pounds of muscle a week, without using steroids, you are a genetic freak. And you won't know if you are gaining muscle as opposed to some combination of muscle AND fat unless you do some sophisticated Body Mass Index measurements.

It's not hard to gain 20 pounds in six months, by loading up on protein powder, eating 5 meals a day and watching your cardio exertion, but there is a world of difference between gaining 20 pounds of muscle and just gaining 20 pounds while you work out.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.
                    Nobody said it was pure muscle... he added 15 pounds.

There's an interview with Casey on the Fan 590 website that had Casey saying it was only some muscle...

Also he's going into his 7th year, not 8th.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Here's a recent picture of him:
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

If I was how you describe and had the same diet the drastic results would be easy. The difference is I was 26 and had been playing soccer and basketball my whole life minimal 5 times a week and running sessions (soccer) for kids 3-4 times. I had never taken lifting weights seriously for more then a couple weeks at a time before. I made a bet with a friend of mine that had been going to the gym religiously for years that it wasn't as tough as he was making it out to be as I didn't think his work ethic was where it could be. I went to the gym almost every day for the first two months (missed 3 during that time) and by the third month cut it down to Monday-Friday lifting, Saturday Core and Sundays Yoga. I was rail thin at 150 and now range from 173-176. This was with no professional trainer, chef and working two jobs. If you put real work in you can see real results.

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                          Here's a recent picture of him:
                          He looks like he's in good shape to me

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Spent time in the weight room, got certified as a personal trainer, spent years studying and reading about exercise, nutrition and weight lifting.

If you are putting on more than .5 pounds of muscle a week, without using steroids, you are a genetic freak. And you won't know if you are gaining muscle as opposed to some combination of muscle AND fat unless you do some sophisticated Body Mass Index measurements.

It's not hard to gain 20 pounds in six months, by loading up on protein powder, eating 5 meals a day and watching your cardio exertion, but there is a world of difference between gaining 20 pounds of muscle and just gaining 20 pounds while you work out.
                            I agree with what your saying by taking supplements and constantly shoving food down your throat. 3 protein shakes (1 after morning work out, afternoon and before bed), orange triad vitamins, fish oil pills and first 3 months used amino-core. So it's not like I did it all-natural but I never took steroids. I'm simply saying it's possible especially with the amount of time and resources these guys have. 15 pounds on a 7 foot frame isn't anything to be blown away by IMO.

Comment

First, congratulations. I know how hard it is to gain weight.

But I will repeat what I said in my post. Unless you were taking relatively sophisticated measurement, you really don't know what percentage of muscle to fat you put on.

If you haven't lifted weights before, you can, in fact, gain a lot of muscle in a relatively short amount of time. The fact that you were able to lift 57 days out of 60 in the first two months tells me a lot. I can predict what happened after that. You cut back to 4 times a week, Monday legs/back, Tuesday chest/arms, Wednesday off then repeat for Thursday/Friday. Your gains got slower but still get coming, then, at the six month mark, things really slowed down. If you are still working out, then you are down to maybe 6-10 pounds of muscle gain a year and only that much if you continued the protein shake, 5 meals a day routine and also changed up your routine to prevent yourself from getting stale.

Someone starting a lifting routine can make tremendous progress, but, as Letter N stated above, Andre has been lifting weights for 10 years already...playing professional ball since he was 16. He can continue to get stronger for another 3-6 years, but he won't be putting on more than 3-5 pounds of muscle a year at this stage of his life. Not and play basketball for eight months of the year.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                First, congratulations. I know how hard it is to gain weight.

But I will repeat what I said in my post. Unless you were taking relatively sophisticated measurement, you really don't know what percentage of muscle to fat you put on.

If you haven't lifted weights before, you can, in fact, gain a lot of muscle in a relatively short amount of time. The fact that you were able to lift 57 days out of 60 in the first two months tells me a lot. I can predict what happened after that. You cut back to 4 times a week, Monday legs/back, Tuesday chest/arms, Wednesday off then repeat for Thursday/Friday. Your gains got slower but still get coming, then, at the six month mark, things really slowed down. If you are still working out, then you are down to maybe 6-10 pounds of muscle gain a year and only that much if you continued the protein shake, 5 meals a day routine and also changed up your routine to prevent yourself from getting stale.

Someone starting a lifting routine can make tremendous progress, but, as Letter N stated above, Andre has been lifting weights for 10 years already...playing professional ball since he was 16. He can continue to get stronger for another 3-6 years, but he won't be putting on more than 3-5 pounds of muscle a year at this stage of his life. Not and play basketball for eight months of the year.
                                I had lifted weights for years before but never consistantly for more then a few weeks. What my point was is results are driven by work rate and dedication. Andrea may have been lifting for 10 years but who knows how hard and how he was lifting or who was training him. Some guys go to the gym for hours every day for years consistantly at a time and still look the same. Some work harder then others and results show differently because of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X