Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we entered an alternate universe? Are the Raptors buyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it was a salary dump, they would of made the trade all along, just wanted to see how much they could get from us. Bryan played it cool and got a favorable deal for us. Some rare luck in Raptor land.

Comment

chrischris wrote: View Post
      I just noticed Haddadi's 1.3mill current contract has a team option next year. Now that's great filler if needed.
      He can only be traded on his own until the Raptors season is over. He can't be packaged with other contracts/players.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        But that never made bball sense for LA. While I still think Bargs is a good fit for LA with Dwight there and the D'antoni system, Jose has no business being on a team with Steve Nash that already has 2 backup quality PGs in Duhon and Blake, and another young prospect there.....LA will want to get faster at the PF position, at the very least, and I'm guessing add at least one wing who's at least a quality role player. I still see Bargs, and Josh Smith, as their 2 biggest and most likely targets, and that even getting both might be their goal.
        Jose would have been to make contracts work + be an expiring contract for next season (ease LA's financial burden). Calderon in LA was not for the long term. (I also don't agree that Blake or Duhon are quality PGs, and either way Jose would have been much better insurance than either of them)

Comment

I know everyone here is hoping to get rid of Bargnani, don't worry I'm in the same camp...

WHAT IF he came back and plays unreal? He actually avg 20 n 8 efficiently scoring, rebounding, help defending, hustling, showing more emotion, driving hard and seems to finally get that light bulb above his head to stay on permanently. Would you sell high? or keep him? Personally I would still trade him once his market value climbs back up, just for all the pain he caused me since that horrible day he was drafted.
          Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post
            I know everyone here is hoping to get rid of Bargnani, don't worry I'm in the same camp...

WHAT IF he came back and plays unreal? He actually avg 20 n 8 efficiently scoring, rebounding, help defending, hustling, showing more emotion, driving hard and seems to finally get that light bulb above his head to stay on permanently. Would you sell high? or keep him? Personally I would still trade him once his market value climbs back up, just for all the pain he caused me since that horrible day he was drafted.
            I'd be excited about a possible bump in trade value.

My biggest fear in a case like that is that it causes Colangelo to keep him. Even if it appears that "light bulb" went on, its going to burn out in not to long, it always does.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              Jose would have been to make contracts work + be an expiring contract for next season (ease LA's financial burden). Calderon in LA was not for the long term. (I also don't agree that Blake or Duhon are quality PGs, and either way Jose would have been much better insurance than either of them)
              But LA doesn't care about financial burden....not even the slightest. They'd still have to pay tax for his salary, even expiring, if I'm not mistaken, and it would not really help them this year. Getting Jose would simply evaporate 10 million off their books next year without being able to turn it into another player.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post

Sell high, preferably for a lottery pick in next years draft (Wiggins), but I havent changed my signature yet, and I still cannot feel relieved with the team until they get rid of him.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  But LA doesn't care about financial burden....not even the slightest. They'd still have to pay tax for his salary, even expiring, if I'm not mistaken, and it would not really help them this year. Getting Jose would simply evaporate 10 million off their books next year without being able to turn it into another player.
                  LA didn't care about financial burden. Now with the new cap rules I wouldn't be so certain. They'll still consistently be a bigger spender than most, but not year in and year out like they use to be.

Bolded part - exactly.

Comment

I'd be excited about a possible bump in trade value.

My biggest fear in a case like that is that it causes Colangelo to keep him. Even if it appears that "light bulb" went on, its going to burn out in not to long, it always does.
                    Seriously. It is so sad.

I still feel that Bargnani is going to blow up where ever he goes next. Likely (hopefully!) a similar Gay situation in the making.

Comment

I hope we don't go for Gasol... unless its for any of the following players Bargs, Fields, Klieza, Anderson, Lucas, Gray, Pietrus. I don't think it will get done. My reasoning is like most posters in this thread. We have a slim chance of making playoffs this year, so there is no rush to make this move. The core of this team is all young Gay, DeMar, Lowry, Ross, Val, Amir. Those players have to stay. I don't know why everyone is so hard on DeMar. He loves Toronto, he's a hard worker, and he is growing as a player. He's not a first option player, nor is he payed like one. He is leaps and bounds better than last year. I would like to see what he can do next year.

I would be okay with sticking with Bargnani as a sixth man. If he subs for the PF/C positions we should have a great rotation. Ross, Fields, Bargs is a nice 8 man rotation. We need a better back up PG. I think we could cash in Anderson for someone. I like Lucas, but maybe he can come in as that instant offence like Anderson does. It would be awesome to get someone like Ridnour, or Hinrich (I doubt he is available for what we are offering).
                      Last edited by saints91; Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

LA didn't care about financial burden. Now with the new cap rules I wouldn't be so certain. They'll still consistently be a bigger spender than most, but not year in and year out like they use to be.

Bolded part - exactly.
                        I still don't buy it. The only possible expiring contracts they will want are of players they might want to keep and re-sign. That's why I think they'll push hard for Howard's buddy Josh Smith. He's expiring, and though he's seeking a max deal (any team would be stupid to do that), if they have his bird rights and he's at all concerned with winning, they should be able to offer him enough money and convince him to stay.

I really see no reason why LA would adjust their strategy anymore than they literally would have to in order to fit the new rules. They will spend as much as they can to keep winning.

*Basically you believe (or did earlier in the year) that doing Bargs for Pau straight up was a good trade for LA. That's crazy. LA gets a reduction in talent, and doesn't truly gain any flexibilty as they lose their best trade piece for a worse one in Bargs, and the money they'd "save" on Calderon is probably already money over the cap for them so they can't use it for anything.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                          I just tossed Haddadi into ESPN's trade machine and it says a player we acquire in a trade cannot be traded in combination with other players for two months (but can be traded by himself).

By my count, there's three possible frameworks for Gasol, limiting it to two teams:
                          Bargnani + Gray + Lucas + Anderson
                          Bargnani + Kleiza + Anderson
                          Bargnani + Fields

We lose a lot of depth in the first trade, but I'd probably go for it. But it relies on Anderson consenting and waiving his bird rights. If Anderson refuses, then the trade is pretty-much impossible. Gray + Lucas + Acy isn't enough salary. The second scenario also involves Anderson, but here, if he refuses, you could swap in Acy and the numbers would work. But I don't think LA, with their tenuous salary situation, take on Kleiza. Realistically, I don't think LA would go for any of these.
                          The third is the most interesting, because Fields is actually a pretty decent asset (and the one that I would least want to trade. I really like Fields' game). But it doesn't give LA much cap relief. They may find the first scenario preferable because it allows them to clear a decent amount of cap space.
                          The middle trade would be a dream.

Top trade would be alright but that leaves no backup PG on the roster.

Including Fields would be tough. He is overpaid but I think he comes back next year with his shot and he does so many intangibles that he is a fantastic bench player.

Comment

Bolded part - exactly.
                            The key is winning. They are willing to spend if they are winning.

They are looking at a $130M payroll this year (w/ tax) for a team that may not make the playoffs (but I think they do).

Comment

I know bargs had little value this year to begin with.. but I feel like colangelo got a little too hyper and excited about the gay trade that he let his guard down and completely threw away what ever value bargs had left by revealing how dispensable and worthless he is to this team.. though he would have gotten backlash from fans I feel like he should have played it off as tho bargnani would thrive with our new lineup when he comes back and that he still has confidence in him.. I just think we will be lucky to get even a solid backup pg for him at this point.. tho I would love to see better and I think gasol would fit in great here

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                                I know bargs had little value this year to begin with.. but I feel like colangelo got a little too hyper and excited about the gay trade that he let his guard down and completely threw away what ever value bargs had left by revealing how dispensable and worthless he is to this team.. though he would have gotten backlash from fans I feel like he should have played it off as tho bargnani would thrive with our new lineup when he comes back and that he still has confidence in him.. I just think we will be lucky to get even a solid backup pg for him at this point.. tho I would love to see better and I think gasol would fit in great here
                                I think Bargnani's value is set around the league regardless of what Colangelo says or doesn't say.

The part of Colangelo's comment that is not getting much attention is he is not going to trade Bargnani just for the sake of trading him.

Comment

Working...
                                X