Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Fantasy Football DYNASTY League (S2 Discussion, see post 188 for final stats)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds fine with me. So we'll say you must keep 25 players.

Do we want to keep a 3 player/week acquisition limit?

Comment

Couple of add'l thoughts:

1. Any thought given to going offense-only, at least the first year or two? It would simplify things, esp. considering a lot of us are fairly new to dynasty management. You could always add IDPs later on if people want that, and it won't affect anything other than having to do another draft just for those defensive players...

2. Player values for movement: I assume players will hold the value they were auctioned for throughout the season. But I'm not clear on what happens if they move from one team to another, or from one team to the waiver wire. Or how we determine how long a player stays on a roster at the same value. There has to be a way to value a total franchise based on the value of its individual players, no?

What happens if, say, I have David Wilson ($5), who ends up replacing Bradshaw at RB in NYG and is playing well. But I'm headed for league playoffs, and want to upgrade. I offer Wilson for Steven Jackson to an owner who is out of the playoffs and looking to build for next year. Jackson cost that owner $20. Are we concerned with the price discrepancy? Will we allow an owner to trade for a bunch of top-tier expensive guys as long as his trade partners agree, even if it means he ends up with a total salary way higher than what we all started with? Are we comfortable with the prospect of hoarding, and if not, we need some kind of total salary cap (and possibly time-limited player contracts) regardless of auction money or waiver money...

I know this throws another wrench before Sunday, but maybe you've already thought of this.......
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
        Couple of add'l thoughts:

1. Any thought given to going offense-only, at least the first year or two? It would simplify things, esp. considering a lot of us are fairly new to dynasty management. You could always add IDPs later on if people want that, and it won't affect anything other than having to do another draft just for those defensive players...
        The problem here is that Yahoo doesn't allow you to have multiple drafts so it would have to be done offline ... And updated manually in the system one IDP at a time. It would be too much work so it's either now or never for IDPs. 99% of leagues have defense as an after thought and I think this is weak personally. If you really want to flex your football knowledge you shouldn't be weary about defense. Dynasty leagues are supposed to be for diehard fans. Let's keep the difficulty high.

jimmie wrote: View Post
        2. Player values for movement: I assume players will hold the value they were auctioned for throughout the season. But I'm not clear on what happens if they move from one team to another, or from one team to the waiver wire. Or how we determine how long a player stays on a roster at the same value. There has to be a way to value a total franchise based on the value of its individual players, no?

What happens if, say, I have David Wilson ($5), who ends up replacing Bradshaw at RB in NYG and is playing well. But I'm headed for league playoffs, and want to upgrade. I offer Wilson for Steven Jackson to an owner who is out of the playoffs and looking to build for next year. Jackson cost that owner $20. Are we concerned with the price discrepancy? Will we allow an owner to trade for a bunch of top-tier expensive guys as long as his trade partners agree, even if it means he ends up with a total salary way higher than what we all started with? Are we comfortable with the prospect of hoarding, and if not, we need some kind of total salary cap (and possibly time-limited player contracts) regardless of auction money or waiver money...

I know this throws another wrench before Sunday, but maybe you've already thought of this.......
        The auction is a one time thing which doesn't influence anything there after. It's just to decide starting rosters. This league is too big to deploy a cap system... Right out of the gate anyway. Yahoo can't handle it so it would have to be again done manually. I'm deploying a cap system in the fantasy hoops league. If my system I am going to build works well there we might use it here. You can check out that thread to see how it works. For now, no cap but you must keep 25 players. The only exception would be if you trade picks (ie: 30 player roster limit, less your current draft pick number equals the number of players you must keep). We'll probably have to wait until next year to trade picks because Yahoo doesn't allow it in Auction drafting leagues. We won't be a standard drafting league until next year. I will double check.

Comment

I'd prefer to keep individual defensive players. A quick 10-20 min of research will tell you that there's a slew of CBs, a ton of sleeper LBs, and that certain DL go at a premium.

We have roughly double the players in a regular fantasy league, so shouldn't we have roughly double the money? $150 seems low to me. I like $30 for the waiver wire. I suggested $500 in the Group, however that seems high to me now. At the current moment I'm leaning towards $350. I too prefer the idea that each roster move should have an effect in dynasty leagues, both in the present and future.

As for stopping crappy trades, I think we can leave it up to the integrity of the owner, and if not, we could expand the veto window (to a week and a half?) to make sure everyone checks before the trade goes through.

Comment

Well what we can do is roll with a $30 WW budget. We can also deploy a weekly acquisition limit to also limit moves. Right now I have it set to 3. We can go as low as 1 but that seems harsh for a team that gets hammered with injuries...

The league votes on trades. It's a small window. People need to be checking in regularly if they want to win this. They need to be active if they expect an invite back next season. Because of this I think it works fine. What we need to watch for is a team that's losing dealing older high impact players to contenders for young guns who aren't impacting the league right now. Those sorts of deals can be league altering and so it's up to everyone in the league to decide what is fair and what is not.

As for the auction budget, it's $200 now. That's what hoops leagues use as a standard budget in yahoo leagues with 15 man rosters... So, maybe it's too low. Jimmie feels it's too high. It's gonna be hard to please everyone but we need to remember that this is a one time event. I feel whatever the cap is people still need to put the same level of strategy in place. If we said $10/player on average was fine then the budget for the auction should be $300. What's a fair average $/player? That's the question. We don't need to get any more detailed than that.

Kadazzle, thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

Comment

Alot of this is good dialogue that can be recycled for the NBA league as well.
              All very good points on keeping a fair, fun and maintainable league.

Comment

Yeah, I feel I have a better system planned for the hoops league but it's too difficult to do in the NFL league this season. The cap would be tough to track.

Comment

Why are there so many defensive players? 3 DB/DT/LB? On top of that there are 18 overall starters and only 12 bench?!

Comment

Show me a standard league that doesn't have more starters than bench players? It's extremely common.

The defense is there for added challenge. If you guys don't feel you can handle it I can take it out I guess... I'd need to hear that from more people though. Everybody signed up knowing the roster size. It was clearly listed.

Comment

Guys, I unfortunately have to withdraw from the league. I have a family issue that cropped up today and I won't be able to be online for the draft tomorrow.

Sorry for the late notice, like I said this just came up today.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jimmie and it is very late notice but life is unpredictable. I hope things turn out well.

I have to remove another team from the league... Tough call.

Comment

One thing that drew me specifically to this league was the increased roster size, so it would be disappointing for me personally if we changed it.

Comment

We're not changing the roster size but we're gonna lose to two teams. I just removed Jimmie and unfortunately for Lil Romeo he was the one drawn to leave the league as well to make an even number. Man, I feel really bad about this...

Comment

Appolo

You can remove me if this helps

I cannot make the draft tomorrow.

I will play if necessary, but if you need to drop someone i will step aside.

Keep me in mind for next year however.

Comment

Hey, I already pulled the trigger. It's too late to invite Lil Romeo back and remove you. We'll have to move ahead with how things are.

Comment

Working...
                                X