Dwane Casey's vision of the roster next season: see post 37 for update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    why the hell isn't ROY doing Microfracture surgery....He is still young and could have a very productive career
    Microfracture helps when cartilage needs repair. But it doesn't help replace ALL the cartilage you once had, which is what Roy would need. The guy has no cartilage left in his knees at all.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      why the hell isn't ROY doing Microfracture surgery....He is still young and could have a very productive career
      shake my head

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

What players available through free agency or trade do you think Casey's comments would be applicable to?

***Keep in mind this is total speculation - toughness and shooting are the only criteria***
        Nash is the obvious answer. Look, if the idea is to WIN NOW then don't do it half-ass with guys like Hinrich and Chandler and Nocioni. Move the 2012 and 2014 picks, move Valanciunas, move Davis, move Calderon, and get an elite player to pair with Nash. If Derozan, JJ and Bargs are as good as you have to believe they are (obviously cause you want to win now) that team has a 2-year window with Nash to do try and win something meaningful. I'm sick of this team doing everything half-ass. They can't tank properly, they can't rebuild properly and they can't win properly. So, if this is the plan, then go for it.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Nash is the obvious answer. Look, if the idea is to WIN NOW then don't do it half-ass with guys like Hinrich and Chandler and Nocioni. Move the 2012 and 2014 picks, move Valanciunas, move Davis, move Calderon, and get an elite player to pair with Nash. If Derozan, JJ and Bargs are as good as you have to believe they are (obviously cause you want to win now) that team has a 2-year window with Nash to do try and win something meaningful. I'm sick of this team doing everything half-ass. They can't tank properly, they can't rebuild properly and they can't win properly. So, if this is the plan, then go for it.
          I'm not sure the idea is to win NOW.

I think the idea next year is to be relevant and possibly, depending on transactions made, make the playoffs - or at the very least to make a run at the post season.

I'd rather see a team assembled that can grow and compete for years rather than be the next Milwaukee.

Comment

"Win now" doesn't necessarily mean "win the championship". There's a development curve there. And the approach needn't be one or the other, tank or win it all. You can still win and make the playoffs while improving toward the ultimate goal. In fact, unless you're in the "blow it up a la Boston/Miami and buy talent" strategic camp, I'd argue it's the ONLY way to eventually win a championship.

Building a winning team is not an exact science, it's a scientific experiment. You put together a bunch of elements and see how they react together. You only hope they don't explode on contact, and you dream that maybe they'll form the alternative to carbon-based energy. Along the way, unless you're incredibly lucky and get it right the first time, you'll need to add/subtract ingredients and try again. Eventually, you'll either find what you're looking for, or you'll determine yourself to be a really bad scientist and will likely have to find another line of work.

The franchise right now looks to be in better shape in terms of both in-hand talent and cap flexibility than it has in years. Of course, if mismanaged, that could turn to crap again and it would be time to start over with new ingredients, possibly including a new scientist. But at this point, the experiment looks to be moving in the right direction, and is certainly more hopeful than it has been since VC was in town.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
              Building a winning team is not an exact science, it's a scientific experiment. You put together a bunch of elements and see how they react together. You only hope they don't explode on contact, and you dream that maybe they'll form the alternative to carbon-based energy. Along the way, unless you're incredibly lucky and get it right the first time, you'll need to add/subtract ingredients and try again. Eventually, you'll either find what you're looking for, or you'll determine yourself to be a really bad scientist and will likely have to find another line of work.
              Lots of ways to build but we know that the one thing you absolutely need to get to Conference Finals in the NBA (and therefore have a shot at a title) is a top of the food chain guy. A Kobe, MJ, Magic, Dirk, Nash, Duncan, Wade, Lebron, Howard, Rose, Durant. That's been the one constant for 30 years with one exception. The Raps don't have that guy. So, they either need to draft him or go trade for him. That means tanking to get a top pick or selling the farm to get that guy.

The current scenario (team centered around offensive minded PF, highly rated young centre coming in, adding vets to get better) is eerily similar to being a repeat of the 2006 plan that got them, well, right where they are now. Maybe Valanciunas is Dwight Howard good and this is all moot. I just don't see any point of building a team whose upside is a 6th seed and I fear, as I've written before, that's where this is headed.

Comment

(With JV and 2012 pick cap hold, the Raptors really only have about $11M in cap space - not $17M as reported above.)

Those are some serious quotes from Casey. Those quotes make me think the trade route will be the way the Raptors are looking to go this off season. Free agency (list found here) does not appear to have many players you could classify as "... experienced guys, guys who are tough, battle tested and been through the wars...." although there could be a few (guessing on my part!):

PG: Hinrich, Nash, Felton, Miller (none would be classified as PG of the future though)
                SG: Allen, Fields, Lee
                SF: Barnes, Chandler, Nocioni
                PF: Too many as is
                C: Gray, Magloire

Casey's comments imply to me that Aaron Gray most definitely should be back - I hope it happens. An argument could be made for Magloire as the 3rd stringer with Alabi sent packing.

What players available through free agency or trade do you think Casey's comments would be applicable to?

***Keep in mind this is total speculation - toughness and shooting are the only criteria***

Stephen Brotherston at HoopsWorld.com has an article up which hits on topics of this thread:

On trade deadline:

“We know where we are in our program and what we are trying to do and what is going on with the big picture plan,” said head coach Dwane Casey. “I know what our needs are, we know what our needs are, and Bryan has a great plan. We have flexibility and we are going to have to be selective as far as what we get and how we go after it and make sure we execute it. It’s a big off season for us to go along with the growth of some of the guys that we have.”

“I don’t foresee anything,” continued Casey about the trade deadline. “That’s out of my department but I don’t foresee any of it as far as any moves – major moves or minor moves. Maybe minor, but I don’t see anything major as far as anyone in the locker room.”

Even minor moves could come as a surprise, but there are possibilities.

Brotherston includes the complete quote (or at least more complete) of what Casey said regarding adding toughness and shooting:

Probably the biggest reason the Raptors do not anticipate any major moves at the trade deadline is the wish list of attributes for any future additions. The Raptors plan on being a lot better next season.

“Experience along with the young guys we have coming in is going to be important,” said Casey. “I don’t think we can bring a lot of young guys in next year and expect to make the big steps that we want to make next year. We have to have some experienced guys, guys who are tough, battle-tested, been through the wars and I think that is going to be important and Bryan has his eyes on some guys who are free agents next year. Toughness and shooting are two of the keys.

“I am talking about experience maybe 25, 26, 28. There are some 36, 37, 38 year olds I would take, but I would rather have it a little younger.”

Comment

The current scenario (team centered around offensive minded PF, highly rated young centre coming in, adding vets to get better) is eerily similar to being a repeat of the 2006 plan that got them, well, right where they are now. Maybe Valanciunas is Dwight Howard good and this is all moot. I just don't see any point of building a team whose upside is a 6th seed and I fear, as I've written before, that's where this is headed.
                  I disagree that "that's where this is headed" is a foregone conclusion. There are similarities in the approach, but the players and the other variables are not the same.

How do you propose getting that top-tier guy (assuming he's not here already, in a less-mature state)? I will agree that there are two primary ways to get such a rare bird (how many of those guys in the NBA? Maybe 10?), either draft or trade. Superstars like that don't make it to free agency.

If you draft high, you have a *chance* to luck out on such a player, but that chance is incredibly slim and you're likely not going to know for at least 2 years. If you don't pick the right guy -- and forget whether he ends up being an All Star,; many 1st-rounders don't even end up rotation players on good teams --then what? Tank again and again, until you hit the winning lottery number?

If you trade, you need to find a partner willing to part with one of these superstars. Also very difficult, and often a matter of luck.

The key component of both approaches is luck. And if you can accept that, you can accept how difficult it actually is to build a championship team. Most fans in most cities, for most sports, spend their whole lives watching their favourite teams, and might get to see 1 or 2 championship runs over that time.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I don't think Portland is permitted to sign Roy until his original deal has run its course. I'm not positive on that but if teams were permitted to do that I could see some real funny business being done with a seriously injured, highly paid player with multiple years left on his contract i.e. you are out for this year, we amnesty you, pay you in full, sign you next year to a cheap deal, and sign a bigtime FA with the cap space savings.

This of course neglects the fact Roy has no knees left. Personally, I don't think he comes back and, if he does, it is a short return. It is too bad because he was a player.

didn't he voluntarily retire? doesn't his contract resume from where it left off if he comes back? like darius miles a few years ago?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      didn't he voluntarily retire? doesn't his contract resume from where it left off if he comes back? like darius miles a few years ago?
                      Darius Miles was a medical retirement.

Portland amnestied Roy. They would have had to of waited until sometime in April 2012 to clear his contract off the books to use the salary cap space as medical retirements cannot be pursued until they have missed 1 year. Amnesty gave them immediate cap relief.

Comment

Darius Miles was a medical retirement.

Portland amnestied Roy. They would have had to of waited until sometime in April 2012 to clear his contract off the books to use the salary cap space as medical retirements cannot be pursued until they have missed 1 year. Amnesty gave them immediate cap relief.
                        thought it was also medical for him. my bad

“I am talking about experience maybe 25, 26, 28. There are some 36, 37, 38 year olds I would take, but I would rather have it a little younger.”

i know a really good 38 year old point guard and we cant really say "there is one 38 year old i would take" can we

i think the entire big 3 in boston are going back to boston at much reduced salaries.

in the event our pick is 5-10 would you move it for rondo with calderon?

Comment

I heard Josh Smith wants out of Atlanta. Perhaps we can offer Bargs and get J-Smoove in town?
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            I heard Josh Smith wants out of Atlanta. Perhaps we can offer Bargs and get J-Smoove in town?
                            What if we did a deal around DD and JJ?

Calderon
                            Lamb/Beal
                            Jsmoove
                            Bargs
                            Val

We have two good defenders to cover up for Bargs, plus its still a really young team.
                            Can you imagine Calderon throwing alley-oops for Smith?

Edit:http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7oggtx6
                            Something like this, plus our 2014 first rounder?
                            Last edited by Hello; Fri Mar 9, 2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Hinrich is a great backup PG - low maintenance, good shooter, good defender.

Jason Terry is very intriguing, obviously because of the Casey-Dallas connection. But actually, if Dallas is going to gun for D Will or D12, will they have the cash to re-up Jet? I would love to see JT in a Raps uni, brings so much fire and grit (not to mention his shooting)

SF is where the Raps future is really up in there air. James Johnson is developing nicely but is he a starter or a stopper off the bench? and Kleiza brings the shooting and toughness Casey desires but nobody sees him as a starter next year. Batum is unlikely as has he is arguably Portlands second best player (will match). but could Gerald Wallace be had??? Wallace would turn the raps into a top 10 defensive team overnight

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                                Hinrich is a great backup PG - low maintenance, good shooter, good defender.

Jason Terry is very intriguing, obviously because of the Casey-Dallas connection. But actually, if Dallas is going to gun for D Will or D12, will they have the cash to re-up Jet? I would love to see JT in a Raps uni, brings so much fire and grit (not to mention his shooting)

SF is where the Raps future is really up in there air. James Johnson is developing nicely but is he a starter or a stopper off the bench? and Kleiza brings the shooting and toughness Casey desires but nobody sees him as a starter next year. Batum is unlikely as has he is arguably Portlands second best player (will match). but could Gerald Wallace be had??? Wallace would turn the raps into a top 10 defensive team overnight
                                Apparently When their were wallace trade rumors a few years ago, he said he would not play for us. Not sure how he feels now, but would not be surprised if he feels the same way.

Comment

Working...
                                X