No announcement yet.

Why the Raptors will be better next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm predicting that they go undefeated over the next year.

Comment

Lol...dillusional Rap fans as usual. I wrote last year before the season that the Raptors would be in the lottery for half a decade and it looks like I was wrong...It's going to be longer than that basing on the moves (or lack thereof) by Brian Colangelo. He has acquired random talent that can't play together on both ends of the floor and didn't make any moves to address the glaring holes everywhere except the bench or shooting guard.

1. Raptors were the 3rd worst team last season, only Minny and Cleveland had worse records. The reality of what all Raptor fans need to understand is that both teams got significantly better in the off season. Cleveland added a number 1 pick who has Chris Paul potential and a good forward. Varegao returns after missing all season and they can't really get any worse. Minny added 2 young talents in Rubio and Williams. Whether we like it or not Kevin Love and Michael Beasley is a good core to build around and much better than anything we got here. They have tons of talented players on that roster and they just need to trade some of it for a good veteran. The truth is that Minnesota is going in the right direction and is bound to improve.

2. Washington, Sacramento, Clippers, New Jersey will only get better as they have cornerstone players on their teams. Meanwhile Toronto has one good player (Derozan) surrounded by one dimensional players who would be strapped to the bench of any playoff team. They consider Ed Davis a cornerstone player (lol) considering his skill set is very similar to Taj Gibson who is a bench player for a good team (he was also on the bench when they were an 8 seed). James Johnson, Weems,Kleiza, Calderon, Barbosa, Bayless are all useless trade assets who are either overpaid or role players. I'm sure Bargnani has good trade value but the Raps would be getting 30 cents on the dollar for all the time they invested in him.

3. Obviously some teams are bound to get worse if the bottom feeders are getting better; the likes of Charlotte, Detroit and Utah are the only teams to compete with the Raptors for the most lottery balls next season and I believe those teams have more of a chance of turning it around than Toronto.

4. The only option to improve over last season is that the team needs to improve from within. When I look at the roster, most of the guys can't really do more than what they have done over the course of the career. Perhaps Derozan can turn into an allstar and the light will finally come on for Bargnani but those are huge reaches. I expect Derozan to improve but not into an all star and Bargnani to have a similar season.

Last year I was bashed for stating that the Raps had one of the worst rosters in the NBA prior to the season and I'm sure some fans have finally faced reality but the truth is that the Raptors are in the worst shape they have ever been since the expansion roster. Despite great coaching and systems players win in the NBA; and when I look at the roster, it's clear that we have one of the worst in the NBA and I challenge anyone to show me any different. We will be in the lottery for a long time so let's hope we get Rodney Purvis in the 2014 NBA draft as he's the next Lebron James because I'm sure we will be in the running for top pick then.

Comment

Bear in mind he's in the 10th grade

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Part of me hopes you are right.

Part of me hopes you are not right.

Then there is the other part of me that hopes because of the part of me that hopes you are right there is no next year and whatever lottery system is put in place produces favourable results for the Raps.

Then the final part of me remembers if we play next year and you are right and we don't have a high lottery pick that BC managed to get very good value out of 9th overall picks in the past (Amar'e, Marion, and DD).
          I was uncertain whether http://www.motifake.com/ambiguity-de...ers-32846.html
          or http://www.motifake.com/ambiguity-de...ers-59741.html was the appropriate answer.

Comment

I like #2.

(might not be work safe people... as if RR was)

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
              couple things here:

1) I don't think its so much 'tanking' but rather not trying to immediately improve. That is not going out and getting vets who marginally improve the team just to win a few more games or make the playoffs. I don't think anyone wants to see the team intially not try, sit the better players etc. Its just the term tanking has changed from intentionally losing, to not trying your hardest to win. (if that makes any sense)

If this team stays the same and there is a marked improvement in the team I think thats a good thing and most people would be happy with it. If they change the team in some significant way and there is a marginal improvement, I don't think thats acceptable.

2) those changes may improve this teams D, but does it not in turn hurt the offense? does the team really end up any better off if they give up 5 less points a game, but score 5 less? For instance Bargs to PF and a defensive minded C means a total net offense loss but (theoretically) a net defensive gain. Switching Bayless and Calderon will definetely improves the D but it unquestionably hurts the offense to.

This team is only going to win if their Defense improves without hurting their offense... which more or less means a lot of the current players need to improve or end up being moved. The team needs balance, and specifically balanced players, and you don't get that by simply adding a bandaid. Thats more or less why they need this draft (and their previous drafted players to improve)... they need balanced players and a true top tier talent. Its why Bargnani needs to be dealt with and Derozan is coming due to prove himself or be dealt with aswell.
              I think that going into a season with any objective that is not "We are going to try and make the playoffs" is weak sauce.

Moving Bargnani to PF means the 10-12 points per game that we were getting from reggie evans, amir johnson, ed davis combined gets replaced by 21 points. The 21 points that we were getting from Bargnani at C gets replaced by 10-12 points from some new veteran C (hopefully).

Also I think starting Bayless who averaged about 20/5/5 when he started over Calderon will not only improve our defense but our offense. He gives us someone who can spread the floor by shooting threes, and also penetrate, get to the line, or take it to the rack.

Screw the draft pick, I wanna see us make the playoffs, that is the only progress that I will consider positive.
              "Defense wins championships."

Comment

no no, we want the draft pick. don't be silly.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

sure make the playoffs and get crushed in the first round. and then what?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

we will be better next year because its almost impossible to get any worse.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      we will be better next year because its almost impossible to get any worse.
                      I'm sure T-Wolves fans used that logic last summer as well - lol.

Just being semi-healthy will help i.e. not losing key players for long stretches.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I'm sure T-Wolves fans used that logic last summer as well - lol.

Just being semi-healthy will help i.e. not losing key players for long stretches.
                        I think its cause of their coach. The T wolves are loaded with talented players they just don't know how to use them, cause their coaching staff sucks. I say we'll win 30 games easy next season, thats enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X