Shooters, shooters, shooters!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooters, shooters, shooters!!

That's should be the MAIN priority for the Raps to upgrade this offseason. A spot up 3pt sharpshooter. Kyle Korver is a UFA after this season. Can we afford him?

Another one that is probably flying under the radar is Luke Babbitt. Not a household name but a great 3pt shooter.

If you asked me a few months ago on what should be the Raps main priority to upgrade this summer i would easily say a PF that can score on the post. But with the emergence of Amir this season i'm more than happy with him as the team's starting PF going forward. I still would love to see them add another veteran big though like an Elton Brand.

As for that low post guy that we desperately need. We probably already have him and his name is Jonas Valanciunas. This guy has really impressed me with his post up moves. And he's just going to get better and better. What he needs to work on this summer is his footwork. They also need to work on his passing when he gets double teamed on the post.
    Mamba Mentality

Korver is definitely a guy I'd take half of MLE for. Veteran, shooter, fits some of our smaller issues. MLE will help do so.

This is all assuming some type of deal has gone down to acquire a big, regardless of JV's progression, and Amir's emergence, having Acy (showing a good future with this team) and Gray be the primary back-ups is a no no.

I still think a acquiring a post/inside presence and securing the back-up point guard are the biggest needs.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Korver would be a very nice pick-up. He's a great shooter (spot up & off screens) where as Babbit is a straight up camper. I also think Korver has improved enough overall as a player defensively where he understands schemes & rotations well to hide his rather slow lateral quickness.

When I think about shooters, I prefer the ones who bring other skills to the table. Unselfish, smart, can make something happen when defenders close out fast. Korver has learned to counter the quick close outs & his passing is underrated.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Korver is definitely a guy I'd take half of MLE for. Veteran, shooter, fits some of our smaller issues. MLE will help do so.

This is all assuming some type of deal has gone down to acquire a big, regardless of JV's progression, and Amir's emergence, having Acy (showing a good future with this team) and Gray be the primary back-ups is a no no.

I still think a acquiring a post/inside presence and securing the back-up point guard are the biggest needs.
        I agree 100%. Hopefully, the back up point guard can facilitate better than Lucas & Telfair. My dream is Darren Collison as a back up point guard. He's a pest defensively but I'm not sure we have the $$$ to offer.
        Last edited by ReubenJRD; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 04:04 AM.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
          I agree 100%. Hopefully, the back up point guard can facilitate better than Lucas & Telfair. My dream is Darren Collison as a back up point guard. He's a pest defensively but I'm not sure we have the $$$ to offer.
          With this season passing, Collison hasn't exactly done much to earn himself a hefty contract. I personally think the MLE will do, well, that's what I THINK his right price is. He's been inconsistent for the Mavericks this season.

Problem is, we offer the entire MLE, only way to improve now is via trade, which makes it harder too because we can't take in larger contracts - salaries HAVE to match - and Kyle Korver becomes a scratch, unless we try an S&T.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            With this season passing, Collison hasn't exactly done much to earn himself a hefty contract. I personally think the MLE will do, well, that's what I THINK his right price is. He's been inconsistent for the Mavericks this season.

Problem is, we offer the entire MLE, only way to improve now is via trade, which makes it harder too because we can't take in larger contracts - salaries HAVE to match - and Kyle Korver becomes a scratch, unless we try an S&T.
            I was thinking the same thing. MLE would probably do it but I'm not sure it's a wise investment exhausting our entire MLE to address one need out of the many things we need to address .... which makes me feel that much worse about this off season.

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
              That's should be the MAIN priority for the Raps to upgrade this offseason. A spot up 3pt sharpshooter. Kyle Korver is a UFA after this season. Can we afford him?

Another one that is probably flying under the radar is Luke Babbitt. Not a household name but a great 3pt shooter.

If you asked me a few months ago on what should be the Raps main priority to upgrade this summer i would easily say a PF that can score on the post. But with the emergence of Amir this season i'm more than happy with him as the team's starting PF going forward. I still would love to see them add another veteran big though like an Elton Brand.

As for that low post guy that we desperately need. We probably already have him and his name is Jonas Valanciunas. This guy has really impressed me with his post up moves. And he's just going to get better and better. What he needs to work on this summer is his footwork. They also need to work on his passing when he gets double teamed on the post.
              Definitely agree on shooters and the need. I don't think you get Korver without MLE being offered and Raps might not have full - just mini. But then again there are a lot of playoff teams with mini and full MLE to offer too.

Babbitt is interesting.

Regarding Amir, I still think he is a great third big. He can play both PF/C and he plays hard. His contract, starting or not, is very reasonable given the scarcity of big men in the NBA who give a shit and earn their cheque. I don't think he is consistent enough to be considered a great starter - check his game log. Lots of double digit numbers in points and rebounds - but lots of single digits too.

Amir As Starter
              34 games
              34.5 mins
              11.9 pts
              5.0-9.4 .534 fg
              1.9-2.4 .790 ft
              3.3/ 6.4/ 9.6reb
              1.8 ast
              1.8 blk
              1.1 stl
              3.8 pf
              1.9 to

Amir Off Bench
              43 games
              23.6 mins
              8.3pts
              3.3-5.8 .576 fg
              1.5-2.3 .673 ft
              2.5/ 3.4/ 6.0reb
              1.2 ast
              0.9 blk
              0.9 stl
              3.7 pf
              1.0 to

Most of Amir's minutes off bench came with ED. I think Amir with nearly 30 minutes coming off the bench in a rotation such as Gasol/Boozer, JV, and Amir would be pretty scary.

The reality is since the Gay trade with most of Amir's starts coming then, the Raptors are 14-18. I think for anyone to say the Raptors are set at any position right now is naive. No matter how much hope there might be moving forward the reality is they are a shitty, non-playoff team right now.
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                I was thinking the same thing. MLE would probably do it but I'm not sure it's a wise investment exhausting our entire MLE to address one need out of the many things we need to address .... which makes me feel that much worse about this off season.
                It would depend on what trades you make and what comes back. If you can add 2 or 3 players while giving up just one or two and the new players address needs, suddenly using the MLE on one player is not a bad thing.

Comment

Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).
                    I doubt we'd get him anyway. We got Jason Kapono because we overpaid for him, which we cannot do with Korver. We also got him because he was young and probably saw us as a chance to get more minutes. Korver just isn't in that stage of his career anymore. He'll look for a playoff team and will probably be willing to take less than a full MLE if it's a contender.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

I thought Raptors fans would learn the danger of one dimensional players....

Why would you go after a Kyle Korver if you can go after a Dorrell Wright (37% shooter) or someone like that? Guys who actually do something on both ends of the floor

Comment

Every team in the NBA needs shooters.. Korver is going to be in demand, just like Reddick will be in demand. These guys are not going to be cheap, and even the full MLE is too little.

Best bet is via trade, and even though a shooter is a need, it would have to come from a team that has plenty of shooters in their rotation already and are looking for something else. But the Raptors don't really have too many assets unless you are willing to give up DeMar or Ross for one (I doubt Fields, Kleiza or Bargnani would be able to fetch one).

I say go in the off season and tell Ross to jack up 1000 3's a night while someone is in his face every time. Perhaps do some suicides then go back and shoot more 3's to simulate as close to a real world example as possible.

But the best 3 point shooters need space to operate. Unless they start utilizing JV more in the paint or if they get a low post presence the 3 point shooter will be a waste of an asset, in my opinion.

Comment

Agree. Korver like Kapono will be an over paid liability. Reddick who other than being a great point shooter is a very smart basketball player, should cost a little more but will be worth every cent. I don't see why the Raps. can't get creative and acquire him.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Getting one of these guys pose a problem as to what on earth we do with Fields and Ross.... one problem at a time get the PF and back up Point.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              Getting one of these guys pose a problem as to what on earth we do with Fields and Ross.... one problem at a time get the PF and back up Point.
                              Ideally when dealing Bargs, which was, I thought, priority #1 for this whole season. See if Bargs' year last year was a fluke, and if so, trade him....well it clearly was, but I'm still waiting for that trade. Seriously, what happened?

Comment

Working...
                              X