Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northgrantballer wrote: View Post
    A possible situation to get us out of this disgusting rut is to trade something with value. As much as I love to watch DeRozan grow as a player offensivly, his defence is underratedly poor. People are always blinded by Bargnani's terrible D to realize that DeMars isn't much better. With a huge draft with lots of hype in 2012 coming up, I think it would be best for a franchise that is scraping rock bottom to roll the dice. In my idea, we would send DeMar and possibly Alabi to a team that is week but wants to be on the rise for a package including their first rounder plus some role players.
    Worst Case sceneario: We make a bust with the lottery pick, however we maintain our 1st rounder.
    Thoughts?
    Definitely would not give up DD. Every year he has improved and he is just turning 22 in August. He is still scratching the surface of abilities. A new defense oriented coach is in place. He has the athletic tools to be a good defensive player - somebody just needs to teach him. Bargnani's OPP PER is 21.1 at C and 31.8 at PF compared to 15.7 for at SG and 12.8 at SF for DD. I do not think that is a good comparison. Worst case scenario - DeMar never improves defensively and a solid SF is drafted or acquired who is a great defensive player (Barnes, Gilchrist, Thomas) and DD takes the weaker wing. Best case scenario - DeMar improves defensively and a solid SF is drafted or acquired who is also a great defensive player.

DeMar also has the intangibles you only wish a guy like Bargnani had: personality, work ethic, desire to be great. DD and Amir appear to be evolving in to the leaders of this team. Anyone who doubts the importance of that only look at the Bosh years when there was no true leader in the locker room.

Finally, and maybe not least of importance, the guy genuinely enjoys Toronto - and who can blame him.

Comment

• northgrantballer wrote: View Post
      A possible situation to get us out of this disgusting rut is to trade something with value. As much as I love to watch DeRozan grow as a player offensivly, his defence is underratedly poor. People are always blinded by Bargnani's terrible D to realize that DeMars isn't much better. With a huge draft with lots of hype in 2012 coming up, I think it would be best for a franchise that is scraping rock bottom to roll the dice. In my idea, we would send DeMar and possibly Alabi to a team that is week but wants to be on the rise for a package including their first rounder plus some role players.
      Worst Case sceneario: We make a bust with the lottery pick, however we maintain our 1st rounder.
      Thoughts?
      I would probably trade Demar for a high slot in the 2012 draft (top 5ish).... but I'd much rather send someone other than him.

But, I agree with Matt52. He has shown that atleast to date he has all the tools, dedication and work ethic to be a good defender, and even a all-star player. A big part of Demar's weak D is inexperience, with Bargnani it comes from lack of effort --- thats a huge difference.

Comment

• wtf give up on DeMar u must be from Chicago lol. Defense is important but when we are talking Defence at the 2 spot compared to the Center position. It is a whole different story. Your C is supposed to be the defensive stopper/anchor and he is supposed to carry the brunt of the defensive work in the paint. Your shooting guard has the ability to score at will. In the NBA most of the top players are at the SG SF position. This makes it hard to defend that position.
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• Every player has his price tag, I suppose. Derozen's keeps going up. I think it will interesting to see if DD signs an extension in the next couple of years. If not, I think that's the time to seriously shop him around. I suspect Demar secretly yearns to be a Laker, playing every night for family and friends.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
            Every player has his price tag, I suppose. Derozen's keeps going up. I think it will interesting to see if DD signs an extension in the next couple of years. If not, I think that's the time to seriously shop him around. I suspect Demar secretly yearns to be a Laker, playing every night for family and friends.
            Luckily it will be 3 years at least (if restricted FA remains) before this becomes a concern.

Also, Toronto, Cleveland and the rest of the franchises know what to do when a player refuses an extension. See Utah and Deron Williams.

Comment

• Demar would be the last guy I would move on the roster BUT for the right player I would in a heart beat. The kid has a good work ethic, enjoys the city, is athletic and is young. With that said he's no where near a complete player needing to work on his range (extended to the 3), his handle (some other move then the same spin over and over), playing making skills (see handle), the ability to score in isolation or end of the shot clock, hit the boards, put on weight (muscle), keep his man in front of him defensively and last but not least quit bitching to the refs. With that said he's the player with the most potential on the roster (haven't seen enough JV to form an opinion) but with our lack of overall talent no one on the team is untouchable for the right piece coming back.

As for him leaving the Raptors have pampered him from day one so I don't see him bolting right away. He'll sign an extension no doubt and the topic will be more interesting when negotiations for his second extension comes up. Where else is he gonna go and have the chance to be the man?

Comment

• all good points

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Definitely would not give up DD. Every year he has improved and he is just turning 22 in August. He is still scratching the surface of abilities. A new defense oriented coach is in place. He has the athletic tools to be a good defensive player - somebody just needs to teach him. Bargnani's OPP PER is 21.1 at C and 31.8 at PF compared to 15.7 for at SG and 12.8 at SF for DD. I do not think that is a good comparison. Worst case scenario - DeMar never improves defensively and a solid SF is drafted or acquired who is a great defensive player (Barnes, Gilchrist, Thomas) and DD takes the weaker wing. Best case scenario - DeMar improves defensively and a solid SF is drafted or acquired who is also a great defensive player.

DeMar also has the intangibles you only wish a guy like Bargnani had: personality, work ethic, desire to be great. DD and Amir appear to be evolving in to the leaders of this team. Anyone who doubts the importance of that only look at the Bosh years when there was no true leader in the locker room.

Finally, and maybe not least of importance, the guy genuinely enjoys Toronto - and who can blame him.

^^

Comment

• never... like matt said demar has all the tools nessesary to be a good defender. and this was only his second year, he will improve everything with time. D Case said he'd work with DeMar to improve his defense and overall game(3pt shot too). So don't underestimate him yet

Comment

• You need to be an extremely special player to be deemed untouchable, and in my humble opinion Derozan is not at that level. There's only a handful of guys in the league at any given time that could be considered completely out of bounds, and DD is not one of them. Hypothetically for the right deal, he could be expendable.

That being said, trading him at this point wouldn't make much sense. In return for DeRozan, we'd either get a similarly talented young player (a lateral move and a risky one at that since DeRozan is clearly trending upwards and there's no guarantee that his replacement would thrive in Toronto the same way he is) or a veteran player or two that would help us push for the playoffs in the short term but compromise a lot of the long term vision for the franchise.

Comment

• DeMar DeRozan

I don't know if it's because he grew up in a rough town but DeMar is very mature for his age. As much flack as BC takes in these parts for his bad moves, you can't deny that he made a great choice in taking DeRozan #9.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...=Google+Reader

Comment

• @DeMar_DeRozan on Twitter wrote:
                          Shout out to to Toronto.. just because I miss it. What's good up in T-Dot??
                          Oh DeMar ... Miss you too!!

Comment

• He's got a nice dunk in the new 2K12 Trailer as well:

Comment

• ^^^haha @ 1:23 where's Bosh's interior D? I guess 2K12 is going for the realistic gameplay!

Comment

• I don't think he's immature, but he's certainly not mature for his age.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X