Rudy Gay starting at the 4 realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Gay starting at the 4 realistic?

I saw earlier that someone said they can see the lineup next year being Lowry-Derozan-Ross-Gay-JV is that a realistic starting lineup putting either Ross or Derozan at the 3 and Rudy at 4 do you think this lineup is possible and could work or is it better to play Amir with JV?

P.S new to posting so go easy on me

no i don't like the idea. We'd get pounded on the glass and i prefer the more traditional lineup none of this stretch 4 BS

Comment

I think it all comes down to matchups. It would be alright against teams like Miami, but Indiana and Denver would kill us on the boards.

So, to answer the question, I wouldn't want Gay as the starting 4 for an entire season

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        no i don't like the idea. We'd get pounded on the glass and i prefer the more traditional lineup none of this stretch 4 BS
        +1
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          I think it all comes down to matchups. It would be alright against teams like Miami, but Indiana and Denver would kill us on the boards.

So, to answer the question, I wouldn't want Gay as the starting 4 for an entire season
          yup

Comment

It only works when you have 2-3 guys that can shoot the 3. Knicks in my opinion is a great example. Their starting 5 consists of Chandler, Melo, Shumpert, Kidd and Felton. 3 of those guys can shoot the 3 very well. Shumpert isn't that good of a 3pt shooter but he's more than capable of making one if left wide open.

Denver is another great example. Koufos, Faried, Gallinari, Iguodala and Lawson. Gallo and Lawson can flat out shoot. And Iggy just like Shumpert is more than capable of making one if left wide open.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Yeah I am with you guys as well I don't think it would work throughout an entire season either. I just want Ross to get some more minutes but next season without Anderson I see Ross being that first wing off the bench 3 and D kinda guy! and then use Landry in situational lineups at the 4

Comment

Though not starting, expect to see the Lowry, Ross, DeRozan, Gay & Johnson/JV Line ups a lot in the future. got a nice preview of it in the last 3 games and I liked it.

Comment

Meh, it's kind of irrelevant. They could start every game with Gay at the 4 and Ross at the 2, but Amir Johnson is still going to play a lot of minutes at power forward, and Ross will likely still not play more than 25 min a game. I have no problem starting three wings so long as they make the right subs when it's time. We're deep at that posistion so it kind of makes sense to play to our strength.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Like most have said, only to use this sort of starting lineup (with Rudy at the 4) as match-ups to the opposition with teams like Miami, New York where they go small, or play their small forwards at the 3. Not a consistent lineup, rebounding will be a HUGE issue, and we are already a poor rebounding team as it is.

It's realistic, barring the fact Casey likes to go small, and the NBA is heading towards that direction, but it's definitely not always - maybe minority of the time - successful.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Like most have said, only to use this sort of starting lineup (with Rudy at the 4) as match-ups to the opposition with teams like Miami, New York where they go small, or play their small forwards at the 3. Not a consistent lineup, rebounding will be a HUGE issue, and we are already a poor rebounding team as it is.

It's realistic, barring the fact Casey likes to go small, and the NBA is heading towards that direction, but it's definitely not always - maybe minority of the time - successful.
                      the last couple of games where we went small with our best offensive asessts on the floor in Lowry, Ross, DeMar, Gay, Johnson
                      were some of our best basketball all season. The line up should definitely be played at some point every game.

Comment

I just want to see Gay operate out of the post more often (whether playing SF or PF).

Comment

It could work if the Raps became an up-tempo team. They'd have to really push the ball though for any offensive advantage to out-weigh the defensive and rebounding disadvantage. Gay isn't a bad rebounder for a 3, but putting him in the 4 role would push his rebounding responsibilities perhaps too far. They'd need to get all 5 guys to crash the D-boards, then use their athleticism to push the ball in transition. Lowry is already a good rebounder (for his position), but you'd need Demar and Ross to buy-in more than they've shown.

I'd also question whether Gay could physically do it for a significant stretch of games. Gay has a slim frame compared to Melo, & LeBron (who have excelled in that small-ball 4 role). LK has the frame but no longer the game. Gay has the length to challenge shots but I wouldn't want him guarding on the block. As the NBA game changes, fewer and fewer low-post scorers exist. Guys like David West and Zach Randolph are a dying breed, so perhaps it could work as fewer and fewer teams have that go-to post scorer.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'd be more agreeable with the small lineup if the Raps actually used it to their advantage. This team starts Lowry, Derozan, Gay and Johnson, all of whom excel in the open court, yet, the Raps' Pace is 24th in the NBA. Despite the fact that the offense is fairly efficient (14th overall in ORTG), I can't help but wonder what would happen if this team got out and ran or at least made quicker decisions in the half court.

If they did go small, I'd rather see JV on the floor with that lineup than Amir. I think that next year we are going to see a very different, much improved Valanciunas who can probably pretty much hold down the fort inside by himself for stretches.

Comment

We could do what the knicks are doing. But we'd need to be a very good 3pt shooting team and everyone would have to contribute on the glass. I don't like the idea personally

Comment

Working...
                              X