Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Have Tim throw some money at this guy:

Come on Stan its been a while since you coached, mull the Raptors generous offer and also just for you they will throw all you can eat Mandarin restaurant buffet for free.
    Ron Jeremy?

Comment

• Interesting that he said the assistant coaches could be out. Why would a GM ax a coach's assistants? i mean, i understand Casey did a terrible job picking his but that seems like a pretty sly move.

maybe ujiri will actually make casey take some assistants that aren't just yes men and can contribute something to the actual x's and o's
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• SVG would be a fantastic hire. Great coach. He'd do wonders for Val.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          Interesting that he said the assistant coaches could be out. Why would a GM ax a coach's assistants? i mean, i understand Casey did a terrible job picking his but that seems like a pretty sly move.

maybe ujiri will actually make casey take some assistants that aren't just yes men and can contribute something to the actual x's and o's
          TORONTO – New Raptors coach Dwane Casey will bring in some new assistants and keep some members of the current staff for his first season in Toronto.

The team announced Wednesday that Johnny Davis and Tom Sterner have been added to Casey’s staff. They will join assistants Eric Hughes, Micah Nori and Scott Roth, who were retained from former coach Jay Triano’s staff.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-stor...stant-coaches/
          I would guess it has more to do with Casey might not have had much say in hiring his own staff to begin with. Alex English and PJ were not kept from Triano's crew while Hughes, Nori, and Roth were. Maybe Hughes, Nori, and Roth - all hired under BC - are out?

Comment

• he's really got to get rid of johnny davis
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• it'd be pretty cool (hilarious) if he brought in brian shaw and then shaw took over the next year
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I didn't read all of the replies to this thread, but if there was a chance in hell at getting Karl I would be all over it. I can't beleive people here would even question that decision. Who cares if he is or is not a great coach in the playoffs. We don't have to get a coach that will be our coach for the next 20 years. We just need a coach that will make us better than we are today.

Comment

• I am having a touch of amnesia but can anyone remind me of the front office personnel or coach that left the Raptors voluntarily for a better position/promotion at another franchise? The irony is that Masai is the only one who did and guess what...he comes back!! Even ex coaches who we considered decent (Carter, Smitch) but fired are unable to get another position. Goes to show that our front office people arent exactly in demand.

Comment

• So exciting with some news going around! Cant wait till the Bargnani trading stories start coming out Ujiri said by July 1st so close, Canada Day becomes Bargnani D-Day love it.

Comment

• It's funny. If someone told me that Colangelo needed another 5 years to "rebuild" this team, I'd say fukkit...I don't have the stomach to watch it through.

But if Ujiri has the same approach, I'd welcome it with open arms.
                      Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Jun 3, 2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: type-o

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        It's funny. If someone told me that Colangelo needed another 5 years to "rebuild" this team, I'd say fukkit...I don't have to stomach to watch it through.

But if Ujiri has the same approach, I'd welcome it with open arms.
                        I don't care what they do.

Just glad new leadership with new vision from top to bottom is coming in.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                          I am having a touch of amnesia but can anyone remind me of the front office personnel or coach that left the Raptors voluntarily for a better position/promotion at another franchise? The irony is that Masai is the only one who did and guess what...he comes back!! Even ex coaches who we considered decent (Carter, Smitch) but fired are unable to get another position. Goes to show that our front office people arent exactly in demand.
                          Smitch was ast. coach for the nets for a while, wasn't he?

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I wonder what happens to Alvin Williams. Then again, I've already been wondering exactly wtf he's doing for the organization.
                          On July 1, 2009, the Raptors announced the hiring of Williams as an assistant coach for the team.[3] This would mark the return of Williams to the organization since being waived by the team less than three years earlier.
                          On September 24, 2010, the Raptors announced that Williams will transition to the front office as the team’s Director of Player Development.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Williams
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I forgot about Alvin, I'm not sure what he's doing right now but it's probably only a supporting role and I'd imagine he sticks. He's not to blame for any of this and he's been with the organization for over a decade in some capacity. He's a good guy, a smart basketball mind and a good role model to young, impressionable players. Ujiri could use his help and he's not like the rest of the staff. He put his body on the line for this team. He was a big factor in their only blink at success.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I forgot about Alvin, I'm not sure what he's doing right now but it's probably only a supporting role and I'd imagine he sticks. He's not to blame for any of this and he's been with the organization for over a decade in some capacity. He's a good guy, a smart basketball mind and a good role model to young, impressionable players. Ujiri could use his help and he's not like the rest of the staff. He put his body on the line for this team. He was a big factor in their only blink at success.
                              And fans still love him to this day.

Comment

• I wasn't wondering about the title that the team gave him 3 years ago (!!). I was wondering what he actually does for the team NOW.

When first brought in, he was very visible. They were using him as a player development coach. He would work out with guys, and be part of practices, and sit behind the bench learning the coaching ropes.

Now? He's listed as a scout now, but when's the last time he was visible or seemed engaged in what's actually going on? Just curious if he has any place with the team going forward, and just in general as a fan of his if he's going to keep being part of the game.

Oh, and btw, for not quite up to date (too many changes in the last week or so) list of staff...
                                http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/mlsel_management.html

Comment

Working...
                                X