Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would YOU pay Lowry?

What would YOU pay Lowry?

Assume you're ownership/president/GM/whatever.

What do you think he is worth?

Before you answer think about, but not limited to:
    1) his age
    2) his history
    3) his performance
    4) his value to the team
    5) the ability for the team to continue to improve and add pieces with him earning $X million per season.

There has been lots of talk in individual threads, I've never seen one thread dedicated to the topic - sorry if it is already out there.

Ideal 4 years @ 10. Live with 4@ 12 or 5@10. Anything over 12+ - Go with GV for 3 @ 5 -6

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ideally for me I'd like to get something in the same sort of range that demar signed. I'd probably go up to 11 a year but after that I'd have to let him walk. His age is a big deterrent for me.

Comment

Me, I would do this:

5 years, $50M, Front loaded

Year 1: $12M
        Year 2: $11M
        Year 3: $10M
        Year 4: $9M
        Year 5: $8M

Rationale: it diminishes risks associated with age and attitude while also allowing the team to have more financial flexibility moving forward. Age is straight forward - he is paid less as he gets older. Attitude means if this year was not a fluke, if he is owed the bulk of his contract in later years it is only going to make it that much harder to get rid of him. Financial flexibility is straight forward.

I would be ecstatic if it could happen at $11, $10, $9, $8, $7 (i.e. 5 years and $45M)

He is 33 coming off a five year deal.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Me, I would do this:

5 years, $50M, Front loaded

Year 1: $12M
          Year 2: $11M
          Year 3: $10M
          Year 4: $9M
          Year 5: $8M

Rationale: it diminishes risks associated with age and attitude while also allowing the team to have more financial flexibility moving forward. Age is straight forward - he is paid less as he gets older. Attitude means if this year was not a fluke, if he is owed the bulk of his contract in later years it is only going to make it that much harder to get rid of him. Financial flexibility is straight forward.

I would be ecstatic if it could happen at $11, $10, $9, $8, $7 (i.e. 5 years and $45M)

He is 33 coming off a five year deal.
          50 to 55 front loaded is the perfect number. Add performance bonuses if it gets the deal signed
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I would also prefer no player options on any deals
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I would tie his contract to DeMar's. If Demar has 3 years left I'd offer 3+ a 1 year player option. Start at 9 mill and max out around 10.5 mill. Pretty flexible on the money, but 5 years makes me kind of queezy.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                I would tie his contract to DeMar's. If Demar has 3 years left I'd offer 3+ a 1 year player option. Start at 9 mill and max out around 10.5 mill. Pretty flexible on the money, but 5 years makes me kind of queezy.
                Since he is a free agent the fifth year is likely what puts us over

Comment

I can't think of a single player with a front loaded contract. Let alone a deal worth up to $50M. Just doesn't really happen in the NBA. So while it would be nice, I'm not hopeful. I think 4 years @ 10M is the perfect number for everyone. Maybe throw in an PO to be nice.

Comment

Front Loading hurts resigning Paterson. Backloading starting year 3 frees cap space when we need it for Ross, JV and Amir all need to extended next two years. Also cap space increases every year so by back loading his cap hit would be consistently spread out. Also 2017 there will be a new CBA so if Lowry's contract is an albatross we could amnesty his biggest years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cathal Kelly (now of the G&M) basically implied that MLSE is willing to drop 3yr, $36 million.

No idea what his sources are though....

In public, Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment is taking a Punch and Judy approach to upcoming free-agency negotiations. Ujiri is cagey; CEO Tim Leiweke stands behind him waving a giant, blank prop cheque.
                      Lowry wants the money. He’s thought about the money (which will probably land in the $36 million (U.S.) over three years range), but he also wants to feel loved. That’s what they all really want – more than team pedigree or the chance to win. It’s a universal desire.
                      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18034022/

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Cathal Kelly (now of the G&M) basically implied that MLSE is willing to drop 3yr, $36 million.

No idea what his sources are though....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18034022/
                        Interesting. I wonder if that's just him tossing out what he feels is Lowry's rough market value. I'd be ok with $12M per though.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Front Loading hurts resigning Paterson. Backloading starting year 3 frees cap space when we need it for Ross, JV and Amir all need to extended next two years. Also cap space increases every year so by back loading his cap hit would be consistently spread out. Also 2017 there will be a new CBA so if Lowry's contract is an albatross we could amnesty his biggest years.
                          These are all great points.

Comment

Iggy is front loaded....Derrick Favors...just off the top of my head

Comment

We will go over the cap to resign people if its worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X