Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brotherston, HW.com: Is Landry Fields TO's Shane Battier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brotherston, HW.com: Is Landry Fields TO's Shane Battier?

Or how about Garbajosa?

It’s obvious that the Raptors had many needs heading into this offseason. If the goal was to challenge for a playoff spot, one of those needs was a “glue-player” similar to what Jorge Garbajosa provided Toronto in the division championship season of 2006-07. Garbajosa had the court awareness and discipline to make everyone around him better on the defensive end and the Raptors were never the same after he was injured. In a more current context, Colangelo identifies a more familiar player.

“Comparisons, he’s a Shane Battier type,” said Colangelo. “Shane obviously has had a very nice career, but (Fields has) very similar traits. A lot of similar characteristics and if we get anything close to that we are going to be happy.

“We anticipate very solid things out of Landry and you kind of look at certain guys in the league and project them out to be certain types of players. He clearly is a versatile player and a guy who can stop an opponent at various positions. Back in college, he probably played four positions or he guarded four positions. He can probably played a little bit of two, three and even some very small four in certain situations or he can guard players like that. We know what we are going to get from him every day in practice, every game when he steps on the court. We know what we are going to get from him. That’s the kind of guy you want to invest in and understand that you are going to get something tangible from him every time he steps on the floor for your team.”

“At times it can be difficult,” Fields said. “But I think when you understand your worth and when teams instill that worth in you knowing you do these things well and the intangibles in your game might not show up in the stats sheet. When they know that and bank on you for those certain reasons, stats kind of go out the window. You just want to go out there and perform to the best of your ability and hopefully win.”

These are the values Raptors head coach Dwane Casey puts a premium on and represents how he wants his team to play going forward. Fields was signed to that offer sheet by the Raptors because he is a Casey-type player and Fields signed in Toronto because he can see how he fits in.

“There are not many egos here and everybody wants to do what they can to win,” Fields said. “Coach Casey, I have spoken to him a couple of times and he seems the same way.

“If everybody buys into what they need to do and what they can bring to the table, we are ready to compete with anybody.”

The Raptors are going to be a very different team from the defensively unaware squad that couldn’t stop anyone two seasons ago or the injury-plagued transitional team of last season. Colangelo has avoided his earlier attempts to quick-fix his team with name-players of questionable health or work ethic and gone after those known for their defense and hard work. Fields may not develop into the next Battier, but he is the closest talent the Raptors have acquired since Garbajosa went down to potentially fulfilling that role.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/is-landry-...#disqus_thread

Nice article.

Fields has the smarts to play that Battier role, but maybe not the athletecism. That's the one thing that jumped out at me about Fields when I first saw him in summer league a few years back is his basketball IQ. If he can become more consistent with his perimeter shooting and learns to play smart defense then those Battier/Garbo comparisons would be validated.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Nice article.

Fields has the smarts to play that Battier role, but maybe not the athletecism. That's the one thing that jumped out at me about Fields when I first saw him in summer league a few years back is his basketball IQ. If he can become more consistent with his perimeter shooting and learns to play smart defense then those Battier/Garbo comparisons would be validated.
      I thought Fields is more athletic than Battier.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofJLpsRGSI

Comment

SO

So where's our Lebron, Wade and Bosh?

Just three more and we have a contender folks.
        It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          I thought Fields is more athletic than Battier.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofJLpsRGSI
          I don't think Battier is super athletic in comparison to Fields, but I give him the edge. He's made a career of defending elite level players from Kobe to Westbrook/Durant/Harden in the finals. You need athletecism to keep up with those guys. Don't have any facts to back it up, but is just my opinion is all.

Comment

Just as much as you need stars you need quality glue guys to win. I think Fields is one we can count on.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

not sure if Fields was brought here for his athleticism though. True the raps didn't actually sign him because of him as a player, but I think he'll contribute more as a defender and a shooter off the bench
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                I don't think Battier is super athletic in comparison to Fields, but I give him the edge. He's made a career of defending elite level players from Kobe to Westbrook/Durant/Harden in the finals. You need athletecism to keep up with those guys. Don't have any facts to back it up, but is just my opinion is all.
                But Battier admitted himself he's never been a great athlete. Landry Fields is actually very athletic in comparison to Battier.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                  So where's our Lebron, Wade and Bosh?

Just three more and we have a contender folks.
                  Dude, Bargnani, Derozan, Lowry.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    Dude, Bargnani, Derozan, Lowry.
                    Not sure if you're being sarcastic....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Not sure if you're being sarcastic....
                      Honestly, I don't know either. I'm a realist who is being unrealistically optimistic. Does that make sense

Comment

One thing that's stood out to me about Landry Fields is that when you watch him play, he's a little faster than you thought he was, a little quicker than you thought he was, a little stronger than you thought he was, and jumps a little higher than you thought he did.

Deceptive athleticism.

Comment

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
                          One thing that's stood out to me about Landry Fields is that when you watch him play, he's a little faster than you thought he was, a little quicker than you thought he was, a little stronger than you thought he was, and jumps a little higher than you thought he did.

Deceptive athleticism.
                          Perfect explanation. He can not be compared to Battier for speed,quickness,athleticism or strenght.

Comment

Landry Fields as Modell's Employee Selling His Own Jersey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9tvpiJkBgA

Landry Fields sings Bruno Mars, "Billionaire" song NY Knicks style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8N8JNNbKoI

Landry Fields cleverly answers what he'd want to have if stranded on a deserted island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFRiinJs66k
                            Last edited by Quirk; Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X