Charles Barkley says raptors are dangerous team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Barkley says raptors are dangerous team

Tonight on inside the NBA, Charles Barkley said the Raptors are going to win a round in the playoffs, and cause trouble for either the Pacers or the Heat do you agree?

The Playoffs are a whole other animal, if they play smart basketball then yes, if they play like they have been in the last 10 games then no it will be a first round exit.

Comment

I agree that Toronto should win its first round, given the players' desire and willingness to sacrifice, as well as the depth of talent on the team. It may be more exciting than we would like! One big question I have is whether Coach Casey is up to the kinds of chess games that go on: they take away one option (DeRozan), you have to find another (Lowry). They take away that second option, you have to find a third (Valanciunas, Ross, Patterson). Will he be able to make those adjustments on offence, with the help of Nick Nurse?

Also, Casey keeps putting in odd lineups and does not repeat the ones that work. Will he find a formula and stick to it? Will he throw in some zone defence to throw off the other team? Will he shorten the bench or try to keep fresh legs on the court, taking advantage of team depth? An awful lot depends on the coach, and he is known to be stubborn, for instance playing Salmons even when he has been wholly ineffective.

Comment

Then Kenny goes on to say that Charlotte will beat toronto if they play lol. They can't agree on anything.

Comment

Kenny isn't likely to ever back the Raps.

Comment

Don't care. Didn't care when he pumped Washington, don't care about this prediction now.

But I do agree with your question.

Comment

Barkley is right, We are a dangerous, deep team with no real weakness outside of good paint presence when JV is on the bench

depends on the matchup scenario
              Rd 1
              1. vs Was- We smoke em, likely 4-0, 4-1 series win
              2. vs Char- We struggle (maybe lose)- we just don't match up well against them.
              3. vs. BKN- We go a long grinding war that will go down to Game 7.

Rd 2
              1. vs Mia- We get smoked- LBJ, Wade & the ref's will be too much to overcome
              2. vs Ind- we have a chance if the pacers keep playing like they have been, they don't score the ball well at all lately so if our ball movement and Offence click...we have a great chance at beating Indy.

Comment

Fuck Kenny Smith. Other than the "let's go home" catchphrase on VC in the dunk contest, this guy always disrespects the Raps. So cocky for an analyst and a former player who won 2 championships by riding on the back of one of the best bigs ever.

Comment

I agree with RepTdot, and think it comes down to match ups. We've got a good blend of veteran leadership and young talent that puts a series against Washington or Charlotte in our favour (despite our regular season record against the Bobcats).

It would help tremendously if we're up against Indiana in the 2nd round, as Miami has just been too dominant against us to think we have any shot.

Comment

I agree with poster caccia that Casey is going to have to play an important role in the playoffs and be quick on his feet/ take. Has he shortened his bench yet? I would say no. And this has been a tried and tested method of team deployments in the p/o. But we have a 11-12 deep team...so...what does he do? Those funky rotations may have been trial runs to determine what works. It also serves to screw up prying eyes (scouting reports) who are checking the Raps out. Casey has been to the p/o but not as HC and Nurse is a rookie. It's going to be very very interesting. In many ways this also a pinnacle for the coaches.

Comment

Meh. I honestly don't think Kenny Smith has ever watched a Raptors game this year. Raptors will beat the Bobcats in 5 games if they play each other in the playoffs. Bobcats IMO are the easiest matchup for the Raptors.

But back to Smith. This is the 2nd time he went against the Raptors this season. Back in the all-star break he said that the Nets will win the Atlantic and finish 3rd in the Eastern Conference. Great prediction.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Kenny also predicted last year that after the Gay trade, the Raps would surprise people and get into the playoffs. Seems to me he just doesn't really know wtf he's talking about. Great guy to dissect a single play or parts of a game. Not so much to dissect the NBA at a more macro level.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                          Barkley is right, We are a dangerous, deep team with no real weakness outside of good paint presence when JV is on the bench

depends on the matchup scenario
                          Rd 1
                          1. vs Was- We smoke em, likely 4-0, 4-1 series win
                          2. vs Char- We struggle (maybe lose)- we just don't match up well against them.
                          3. vs. BKN- We go a long grinding war that will go down to Game 7.

Rd 2
                          1. vs Mia- We get smoked- LBJ, Wade & the ref's will be too much to overcome
                          2. vs Ind- we have a chance if the pacers keep playing like they have been, they don't score the ball well at all lately so if our ball movement and Offence click...we have a great chance at beating Indy.
                          this is completely wrong and I don't know why this is even possible in some people's minds.

What exactly are they going to do that we would have trouble with? If you really think about it, this is the case of people underestimating the raptors more than anything else.

People have go to understand how high of a level we have been playing at for basically the entire season, and how well derozan and lowry have been playing.

Even if you're not sold on us beating experienced teams like Brooklyn, who we should still beat but have the age on us, you HAVE to think that we will beat teams like charlotte and washington. They have no experience. They have less talent. and they're a worse team.

We've got to do our part in changing the culture around this team too people!
                          Last edited by BallaBalla; Fri Apr 11, 2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

R we really that bad against charlotte with the present team? 1 Match was pre trade so that doesnt count, and the second game was lost as well but it was close, and we left Hayes on the bench. We were down 20 or so during the third match and came back cause casey finally decided to send out the chuckwagon against Al and we got to within 3. Im just thinking we may actually have a way to stop Al with Hayes, i dont like depending on that but to act like Hayes isnt a good post defender seems like an insult. Im not saying we're gonna sweep em or anything just that the 3-0 record we have against them doesn't indicate they are better team.

Comment

I think we just really weren't getting up for those Charlotte matches. They don't match up that well against us. The only advantage they have is at C....but big Al has that advantage against almost anybody, as he's arguably the best low-post C in the game right now.

I'm hoping if we meet in the playoffs, the "getting up" part takes care of itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X