Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swingman wrote: View Post
    Good for him, being gay isn't something to be ashamed of. Always struck me as weird a player's sexuality would concern people so much. That said, it will be interesting to see how this affects his search for a contract.
    Hey, Canada is pretty accepting of gays, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. Solid defensive big. Toronto might be a good place for him to continue his career at the moment.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      Hey, Canada is pretty accepting of gays, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. Solid defensive big. Toronto might be a good place for him to continue his career at the moment.
      Yeah, I think having a veteran big would be a positive. Hey, I was suprised Jamaal Magloire wasn't signed one more year this past season. I'm always for having a seasoned player to sit on the bench and work with the youth, especially a class act such as Collins.

Comment

The support from current players is actually INCREDIBLE. I didn't even expect it to be this positive. Check out this page from ESPN. Lists tweets from not only Current and Formers players, but a lot of his Current and Former teammates; its pretty amazing. I think that little country of theirs down there is going to be just fine.

Players Express Support for Collings
        Couple Raptors got in on it too:

Rudy Gay - Happy for my former teammate Jason Colllins. A true American. "home of the free because of the brave"

Kyle Lowry - Respect to @jasoncollins34. great teammate and true professional when we played together.

Rasual Butler - Much Respect for @jasoncollins34 that took a lot of courage!
        Collins has even come out and Thanked everyone for their Support:
        "All the support I have received today is truly inspirational. I knew that I was choosing the road less traveled but I'm not walking it alone.
        Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me thru email, texts, calls, tweets, letters, and every other form of communication. #support"
        Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          The support from current players is actually INCREDIBLE. I didn't even expect it to be this positive. Check out this page from ESPN. Lists tweets from not only Current and Formers players, but a lot of his Current and Former teammates; its pretty amazing. I think that little country of theirs down there is going to be just fine.

Collins has even come out and Thanked everyone for their Support:
          "All the support I have received today is truly inspirational. I knew that I was choosing the road less traveled but I'm not walking it alone.
          Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me thru email, texts, calls, tweets, letters, and every other form of communication. #support"
          When you think of the general perception of the NBA 10 years ago compared to how the players are reacting today, it's a proud moment for the league to show this kind of attitude.

Comment

When you think of the general perception of the NBA 10 years ago compared to how the players are reacting today, it's a proud moment for the league to show this kind of attitude.
            I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Hardaway's comments put so much negativity around the possibility of a Basketball player coming out that it ultimately set the whole thing back a few years.
            This should have happened a long time ago.

Comment

@Luke1luk: I'm proud of @JasonCollins. Props to you -- it takes a lot of courage to come out in the sports world. #salute

@JasonCollins is some chubby white kid with 10 followers. I imagine he's been getting mentions like this all day and has no idea who Jason Collins is and why everyone keeps congratulating him on coming out.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                @Luke1luk: I'm proud of @JasonCollins. Props to you -- it takes a lot of courage to come out in the sports world. #salute

@JasonCollins is some chubby white kid with 10 followers. I imagine he's been getting mentions like this all day and has no idea who Jason Collins is and why everyone keeps congratulating him on coming out.
                HAHAHA Leave it to John Lucas III of all guys to send the congratulations to the wrong person. I swear, if that guy isn't a pot head, he used to be. Haha

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post

Considering he actually got the quite common name as his twitter name, he probably isn't the same chubby white kid anymore. Ok, still white and probably chubby, but at least a couple of years older.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    Considering he actually got the quite common name as his twitter name, he probably isn't the same chubby white kid anymore. Ok, still white and probably chubby, but at least a couple of years older.

This is Jason Collins. Poor kid. He's never going to hear the end of this at school.

Comment

I think he's a few years older now; he got the original name, while I see there are many Jason Collins's active on twitter and he doesn't seem to tweet a lot. So, looks like an account which exists for quite some time now.

Not that this is in anyway important, but ehm

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                        another bible fag, I literally hate that type of people.
                        I just watched the video clip, and I have to say that there is WAY more hatred coming from this page than there was from that clip. What a joke!
                        The questions were revolving around Brassard's faith. If you can watch that video and tell me that he's in any way a bigot or a jerk, than you should truly check yourself in the mirror. He said it himself, in his worldview that lifestyle is wrong (and he went on to say that hetero sex outside of marriage and drunkenness are all wrong too) but it doesn't change anything on the court. He and Collins were able to get along just fine.. Without agreeing on everything! .. Almost like tolerance (which there is none of in a bunch of these anti Christian posts)
                        It's like asking a vegetarian if they're uncomfortable playing with people who eat meat.
                        "No, we talked about it, and I know where he stands and he knows where I stand. This is real tolerance; that we can disagree but still coexist." The commentator than asks, "Can't someone eat meat everyday and still be a vegetarian?" And he responds, "No, if you eat meat everyday than you surely aren't a vegetarian. That goes against the rules of being a vegetarian."

I would even go on to say that it took more courage to do what Broussard did, than it did to do what Collins did. Of course Collins is being applauded! Pro sports has been waiting for this person to rise up for years. Broussard knew that he would have his beliefs ripped on by everyone, and he likely knew it might cost him his job, but he had to answer the question truthfully. Sometimes in our knee jerk reactions we swing the pendulum entirely the other way, but then you've just created ignorance and intolerance of another group. Let's just grow up. If Broussard had of insulted Collins I'd be right on board with you. The fact is, he didn't. He shouldn't lose his job for this. That would be some real intolerance.

Comment

This is in no way meant to take away from Jason Collins... I was just shocked at the double standard. Good for both of them. Be brave. Have an opinion. Leave each-other be.

Comment

And I just expressed my biased opinion about people, who dare to judge others according to their worldview, in this case another Christian, who believes every word in the bible. Let him believe what he believes, but he has no right to judge others and say that he has sinned or etc (especially in television). I have professor in my university, who is filling my head with Christian faith in theology course, he is making fun from other religions and atheists/naturalists even agnostics (me), a lot of this bad perception was created by him. This is untolerant, and ESPN journalist really reminded me of that guy. Tolerant behaviour would have resulted in him saying way less. Like, I have different opinion on this and according to my faith, it's unacceptable.

Now you will reply me with well argumented response, but let's leave it like that. We are different and we have different view of point on this.
                            Last edited by RandomGuy; Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:11 AM.
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Yeah, I think having a veteran big would be a positive. Hey, I was suprised Jamaal Magloire wasn't signed one more year this past season. I'm always for having a seasoned player to sit on the bench and work with the youth, especially a class act such as Collins.
                              He always was a scrub, why waste a vateran minimum for a guy who has career averages of 3,6 and 3,8, what will he teach the young guys, how to foul a lot? He came out as gay, that doesn't make him a good player

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                                He always was a scrub, why waste a vateran minimum for a guy who has career averages of 3,6 and 3,8, what will he teach the young guys, how to foul a lot? He came out as gay, that doesn't make him a good player
                                B...But...But he can't be as bad as Solomon Alabi, right?...Right?

Comment

Working...
                                X