Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar's 3 pt shot (and what it means for the Raptors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    What is T-Ross's 3-pt percentage for year 1?
    33.2%

Comment

• For DeRozan to be worthwhile which Imo he already is there arent many SGs that would be better than him on this team, is be a respectable 3 point shooter where defense has to close out on him and mission accomplished. I mean do you really want DeMar camping behind the line and trying to shoot 3s more than 2-3 times a game? I want him to improve his off ball movement to get some easier buckets now that Rudy and JV are threats alongside him.

Lowry is a better 3 point shooter (the bet in our starting line up) Rudy is respectable, he can hit them why does DeMar need to improve it that much? if he can hover around 32-24 % thats perfectly fair and beneficial to the team. I think everyone is over stressing this lame statistic that "O DeMar cant really shoot 3s, hes useless lets get a SG that can onl shoot 3s and do nothing else for the team" throwing out all other ways he scores. the offense is in Nick Nurses hands take it up with him to use them effectively and any coach in the league would love to have a duo of Rudy and DeMar at their disposal...

Comment

• TRX wrote: View Post
        Fair enough, DeRozan doesn't have to be the one to improve his stroke. But three things:

1. Somebody has to. The Raptors' spacing is so bad, Amir has resorted to working on and taking long jumpers. (But you're still right. I'd much prefer to count on Rudy Gay to hit threes next season. He's much more likely anyway; he's never shot worse than 31% from three.)

2. Being able to hit the three would open up his driving game so much. As it stands, he takes a ton of atrocious long twos because he gets so much space. Just because we want him to have a dependable three point stroke doesn't mean we want him to play like late career Ray Allen. A few people mentioned it a couple pages back, but all he would really have to do is be able to hit ~35% of 3-4 threes a game and all his driving lanes would open up.

3. If DeRozan had a three point stroke, how much easier would it be for other players to hit open jumpers against collapsing defences? Amir is improving. Lowry can hit threes. Valanciunas (in his small sample size) has shown a pretty good jumper. Too bad I don't have access to synergy or I'd pull every Raptor player's wide open jumper percentages. Ironically, if DeRozan had a three point stroke, he could create spacing more frequently with his drive.
        @ Rapstor: My God, it's almost like you skipped right over my post addressing every single thing you said before you said it.

EDIT: "O DeMar cant really shoot 3s, hes useless lets get a SG that can onl shoot 3s and do nothing else for the team" My God, what a strawman.
        Last edited by TRX; Fri Jul 19, 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          DeMar's handle is far more important than long range shooting. I'd rather seem him be a drive first, shoot second kind of player. I think he could thrive in that if he develops a strong mid-range game. He doesn't need the long ball. His bread and butter should be at the free throw line with all that athleticism.

The handle is also important to creating for others and if he wants to be a premier NBA SG or if he wants to be anything more than niche role 6th man on a winning team, he needs that handle.
          Exactly...he needs to spend most of his time working on the things that will make him better at what he is actually good at, driving, posting, getting to the line and a short range pull up jumper. Handles all the way...thank you Apollo! Unfortunately, most would prefer he turn into Rashard Lewis, as if that would somehow justify his contract.

Comment

• There are alot of SG's in the league that can shoot the 3, but few with the skill set that Demar possesses. If we need a 3pt shot on this team, we should get it elsewhere.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Exactly...he needs to spend most of his time working on the things that will make him better at what he is actually good at, driving, posting, getting to the line and a short range pull up jumper. Handles all the way...thank you Apollo! Unfortunately, most would prefer he turn into Rashard Lewis, as if that would somehow justify his contract.
              I don't get this either. And its the same people everytime, with a shitty argument. Not all SG's are 3 pt gunners that shoot 40% on three's, most of the "elite sg" (which there aren't very much of in today's nba) shoot around the mid to low 30% for their career, and also most of them are crappy at slashing to the bucket. Look at guys like K mart and Joe Johnson, i'd hardly call those guys good slashers. Most SG's that are considered "elite" are all shooters, and because of that everyone thinks you have to be able to shoot 3's to be elite which is not true at all. Sure DeMar isn't elite at what he does,yet, but his game is very rare and you don't see it much in the NBA. How many 2-guards in the league right now can do what DeMar does? besides D Wade

Comment

• Reading comprehension is HARD, I know, and presenting ideas to support your opinion that aren't straight out your ass is also hard (Demar's game is "very rare and you don't see it much in the NBA"? most elite SGs can't slash and can only shoot 3s?).

People (at least me) aren't suggesting shifting DD out for a 3-pt gunner. They're saying that, to be an elite, valuable starting SG in this league, you NEED to be AT LEAST RELIABLE from that range. Yes, he has a skillset that includes things other than 3-point shooting. That's nice. But to be elite, to be a starting SG on a deep-playoff team, you need more than just athleticism and a strong work ethic.

It's not even about Demar, per se. It's about what the Raptors need out of their starting SG. And they need efficient, reliable 3-pt shooting at that spot, since that, along with SF, as that's who will be taking the majority of those shots. It's a simple equation: we need this skill, we don't have anyone who has it, so either someone here has to develop it or we have to find someone somewhere else that does and bring them in.

Maybe DD will develop the skill, maybe he won't. But to pretend it's not an issue that he can't shoot the 3 from the SG spot is some silly sh*t.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• I don't think demar is even a bad three point shooter anymore, he just doesn't have the confidence
                  he improved out to 16-23 feet this year and it seemed like he was capable of making them, just when things didn't matter
                  its like that line is a force field messing with his head that I think he will eventually get over

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                    Reading comprehension is HARD, I know, and presenting ideas to support your opinion that aren't straight out your ass is also hard (Demar's game is "very rare and you don't see it much in the NBA"? most elite SGs can't slash and can only shoot 3s?).

People (at least me) aren't suggesting shifting DD out for a 3-pt gunner. They're saying that, to be an elite, valuable starting SG in this league, you NEED to be AT LEAST RELIABLE from that range. Yes, he has a skillset that includes things other than 3-point shooting. That's nice. But to be elite, to be a starting SG on a deep-playoff team, you need more than just athleticism and a strong work ethic.

It's not even about Demar, per se. It's about what the Raptors need out of their starting SG. And they need efficient, reliable 3-pt shooting at that spot, since that, along with SF, as that's who will be taking the majority of those shots. It's a simple equation: we need this skill, we don't have anyone who has it, so either someone here has to develop it or we have to find someone somewhere else that does and bring them in.

Maybe DD will develop the skill, maybe he won't. But to pretend it's not an issue that he can't shoot the 3 from the SG spot is some silly sh*t.
                    Who said that? now who's pulling stuff out of their ass

Comment

• Oh my.

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      ... Not all SG's are 3 pt gunners that shoot 40% on three's, most of the "elite sg" (which there aren't very much of in today's nba) shoot around the mid to low 30% for their career, and also most of them are crappy at slashing to the bucket. Look at guys like K mart and Joe Johnson, i'd hardly call those guys good slashers. Most SG's that are considered "elite" are all shooters, and because of that everyone thinks you have to be able to shoot 3's to be elite which is not true at all.
                      ... To be fair, you actually said "elite SGs" are average at shooting too ("mid to low 30%"), a level DeRozan doesn't even currently reach. Although, to be honest, it took a bit of extrapolation to interpret this coherently. (And I swear I'm not trying to be a dick.) Could you actually rephrase/clarify this?

Because from what I'm reading, most of the elite SGs are average three point shooters and bad slashers. But then you turn around and say most elite SGs are all shooters? Either you're trying to say the quality of SG today is atrocious or I'm missing something.

Comment

• Kobe - career 0.336 from 3PT... less than .325 for the last three seasons.
                        Wade - career 0.289 from 3PT... less than 0.270 for the last two seasons.

It's amazing they can stay in the league.

Comment

• Jimmie said it best. We're not asking DeMar to become a 40%, human-torch 3pt shooter, he just has to become reliable. The opportunities that open up when you become a decent outside shooter are immense. Take it from personal experience.

What we all want is for DeMar to become an elite SG while still on this team, correct? It's agreed on that the focal point of his game is being a slasher and getting into the lane. Become a respectable shooter can help him become a better slasher! When he has experienced trouble getting into the lane, it's because the defense realizes that that's his only option. That, and taking a mid-range jumper, which is playing exactly into most defenses' mindsets. Whether he knocks it down or not, most defenses are quite happy with letting players take the most inefficient shot in the game. Why do you think Amir is starting to take so many?

Anyways, how does becoming a good shooter open up the lane? Hard closeouts! He sets for a shot, they come running, he blows by for a finish at the rim or a short floater.

When he's outside, the defense tenses and anticipates a drive, which is why he gets stopped. But if he can become a dual threat (shoot/drive), then the defense will have to make a decision. As of right now, they don't have to. They just have to wait.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                            Kobe - career 0.336 from 3PT... less than .325 for the last three seasons.
                            Wade - career 0.289 from 3PT... less than 0.270 for the last two seasons.

It's amazing they can stay in the league.
                            Both Kobe and Wade knock down mid-range jumpers in their sleep, and it ain't even focal points in their game anymore. Over half of DeMar's shots come from mid-range, and he can't even knock down 50%. And that's just one aspect of the game they're much better at.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Both Kobe and Wade knock down mid-range jumpers in their sleep, and it ain't even focal points in their game anymore. Over half of DeMar's shots come from mid-range, and he can't even knock down 50%. And that's just one aspect of the game they're much better at.
                              Well, not going to get into "other aspects" (been done a lot already), but let's be fair on this one. It's not the case at all with Wade

2012-2013
                              Rim ............DeRozan .659 Wade .713
                              3-10ft.........DeRozan .404 Wade .412
                              10-16ft.......DeRozan .391 Wade .385
                              16ft +.........DeRozan .414 Wade .398
                              3 pt............DeRozan .283 Wade .257

Not really much to choose between their percentages at all, but DD is actually a little better at everything outside 10 feet. The big difference between their scoring at this point is that Wade gets 51% of his baskets at the rim, vs DD getting 30% of his makes there. Wade has never been a good shooter from any distance. Good SGs come in different flavours.

DeMar certainly is shooting too much from mid range, but to say "he can't even knock down 50%" of them essentially puts him the same boat as every SG in the history of the NBA.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                                DeMar certainly is shooting too much from mid range, but to say "he can't even knock down 50%" of them essentially puts him the same boat as every SG in the history of the NBA.
                                Well that's exactly my point. With all that shooting from mid-range, he should be shooting better.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X