Julian Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julian Wright

I know we got alot of number crunchers on here, so I want to know the raptors plus/minus numbers when he is on the court.

From what I see he has been making all the right decisions while he was on the court help defense, man to man defense, taking open jumpers, aggressively going to the rim when he is suppose to, boxing out, making the extra pass, and crashing the boards on the defensive glass then sprinting down the floor.

could he start?

I loved what I saw out of him tonight. He was easily our best defender and I believe he should have finished the game instead of DeMar. He's long, quick, and, like you said, makes good decisions.

Comment

I don't know about plus minus but considering how our bench out scored their bench I'm sure he looks good. I've liked what I've seen so far but starting might be a bit much. First he needs extended minutes with continued consistancy. I could see him being the 6th man. Given the realitive parity on the team I don't see why he couldn't work his way into a start or two.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

He should honestly get Kleiza's starting job until Linas is 100% healthy and stops hoisting air balls.
        Joshua Priemski
        NBA blogger
        SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
        www.RufusOnFire.com/
        www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Wright finished with a Raptor high +10 for the Bobcats game. He was one of only three Raptors in the plus (Weems +5, and Johnson +2). In the loss to the Lakers Wright finished even (in 9 minutes of play); and in the Portland game he finished a +1 in 17 minutes). Although both of those numbers seem low it needs to be recognized that most of our team on those nights finished as minus players.

Plus-minus can be an asset in recognizing a players different contributions on the game. But evaluating a player based solely on their plus-minus rating is a bad idea. In the summer of 2009 there were plenty of columnists who were tearing down Durant for a poor plus-minus.

That being said, I think that Wright should definitely get some more minutes to burn on the court. He is largely an unknown commodity who has been getting inconsistent minutes. He clearly needed a change of scenery from New Orleans, so lets see what the change can do for him.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

+/- can be deceiving enough over the course of a season, but looking just at one game is generally pointless. That said, Wright did have a very good game and I think he's definitely playing himself into the rotation. That might be a problem when everyone gets healthy, though. Who's he going to replace?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

When will the starting line-up change? When the team is 1-21? Triano went on last night saying that he's proud of the team. Great, for morale I guess. Offense continues to be a problem and defence was lagging just behind the offence. We saw glimpses last night of what Wright can do and yet he still cannot start. Kleiza is great but streaky. His defence is average at best and at SF, his mobility is suspect. I'm not throwing him under the bus, he just deserves to be the #1 or # 2 offensive option off the bench. Reggie should come off the bench too and after last night, I'm convinced that DeMar should come off the bench in favour of Weems. No, these are not Monday armchair quarterback moves, just a very keen observation from the last 5 games. Tweak to this line-up Jay:

PG: Calderon - Assists to turn-over ratio is way better than Jack. Needs to regain shooting stroke.

SG: Weems - Mobile, still takes bad shots but defenders will have to be honest with him - this means he spreads the floor.

SF: Wright - Better defender, energy guy, puts the ball on the floor, another interior option if need be, really crashes the glass with reckless abandon, slightly wild. Kleiza better scorer - but off the bench.

PF: Johnson - Energy, rebounds, put-backs, offence in the post. With him, we have an inside, outside game. Bargs, can set up a tent, a sleeping bag and several Twilight novels at the 3-point line and we'd still be ok.

C: Bargani - Spreads the floor.

Bench:
              Jack (horrible turnovers last night - 6, Jose had 9 dimes, 1 TO - nuff said)
              Derozan
              Kleiza
              Evans
              Anderson

For the love of god Jay, please change. Also, why are we so proud of bench scoring when our current bench SHOULD BE STARTING?
              Last edited by Balls of Steel; Thu Nov 11, 2010, 08:03 AM.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

thx shantz, I thought it maybe something like that cause it clearly looked last night like toronto was a better team when he was on the floor. Same thing goes for the portland and lakers games, the thing that most impressed me was the post game interview he definitely has the right mindset.

Comment

Wright is a good defender, and pretty athletic. But not a starter yet, I could see him playing big minutes off the bench for now. With Kleiza starting, but on bad nights playing around 20 minutes.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    +/- can be deceiving enough over the course of a season, but looking just at one game is generally pointless. That said, Wright did have a very good game and I think he's definitely playing himself into the rotation. That might be a problem when everyone gets healthy, though. Who's he going to replace?
                    If you look at the adjusted +/- over a season, remove garbage time players and compare a player's number to his teammates it will give you a good indication of how he is playing compared to his teammates vs the players that they face when they are on the court.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Not that it is the endall...but JW was a lottery pick who had good reviews before the draft.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Not that it is the endall...but JW was a lottery pick who had good reviews before the draft.
                        Wright had a very good rookie season.

Then his head got twisted all-around.

I am not going to say who was responsible because I don't know.

It looks like maybe his head is twisted back on correctly.

If that is the case and he can can keep it that way than in my opinion he has a very high upside for his career
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Wright had a very good rookie season.

Then his head got twisted all-around.

I am not going to say who was responsible because I don't know.

It looks like maybe his head is twisted back on correctly.

If that is the case and he can can keep it that way than in my opinion he has a pretty good upside for his career

Comment

I didn't realize he is only 23. I think we should definitely make him part of the rotation permanently, his length and hustle will make him an excellent defender and he seems to make good decisions and know his role on offense.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              I didn't realize he is only 23. I think we should definitely make him part of the rotation permanently, his length and hustle will make him an excellent defender and he seems to make good decisions and know his role on offense.
                              I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X