enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Good Signing

Bench:

Augustin/Bykes
    Ross
    Fields/Novak
    Hansbrough/Acy
    Gray
    All we need is a better back up center and we would have a much better and reliable bench!

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
      I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure out why people who ostensibly want the Raptors to compete this year think this is a "great signing." Nate Robinson would have been a great signing at this price, for example, but DJ Augustin is Not A Very Good Player and really only has one purpose: he has enough experience and demonstrated ability not too long enough ago that he can let the Raptors at least pretend that they're trying to compete, but little more than that.

Which from MY perspective - teardown and rebuild - makes him a fantastic signing! Because he sucks.

One year contract, if he suddenly becomes a threat he becomes trade bait, but we're not paying a lot in the interim. Works for me.
      You really think that Robinson wants to come here? When you're signing someone, you need to find someone who ACTUALLY WANTS TO COME HERE! Robinson wants either to go to a legit contender or to get more money from a lesser team.

Comment

I feel like our team has been fleshed out pretty nicely.

There's some character to this team.

Comment

augustine is a meh signing for me too. i understand we needed another player though. has some exp. and hopefully wants to prove himself worth some money next year. with a bit of luck might be able to move him at the deadline for something.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            augustine is a meh signing for me too. i understand we needed another player though. has some exp. and hopefully wants to prove himself worth some money next year. with a bit of luck might be able to move him at the deadline for something.
            You mean include him in trade to make salaries work? If any team wanted him he was there for the taking on a minimum contract. If he shows signs of improvement, why would a team trade him for anything of value when his contract expires at the end of the year?

Comment

Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
              You mean include him in trade to make salaries work? If any team wanted him he was there for the taking on a minimum contract. If he shows signs of improvement, why would a team trade him for anything of value when his contract expires at the end of the year?
              no i mean he displays some skill at running a team that a play off team thinks he might be a good bit of insurance and gives up a 2nd rounder for him. he is delegated to the raps because no one saw anything good in him but for a million bucks and no more commitment a contender might be willing to grab him at the deadline.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                This team work still win 30 games without Rudy
                Unless this signing means that Lowry is about to get traded for draft pick(s). Starting Augustin would mean that we'd suck hard, and Buyicks would be 1st off the bench, as promised.

And even if we win 30 games, don't forget that the Bulls won 33 the year before they drafted DRose. Ping-pong balls can act weird when there's a homekid at stake...

Comment

Lol, Casey was quite serious that he wants to play Pacer style basketball... The best way to play Pacer style basketball, is with Pacer players

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Meh, nothing impressive but can fill the backup role for Ujiri's assessment year, and fits the budget. Other than trying to get something for Q-Rich, these are your Toronto Raptors going into training camp.
                    Don't forget Richardson can't be moved until December 15th. So until then the options for Richardson are:

1) waiver wire,
                    2) stretch provision.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Sooo, over all, you think the Augustin signing was a good one? Lol

Interesting insights into Augustins game. Could it perhaps benefit his game, knowing that Indiana plays more of a half court offense, where as the Raptors are hoping to be a bit more 'athletic' in their approach?
                      Casey really isn't a good enough coach to draw up half court plays, so they'll have to rely a lot on their athleticism and get moving on the fast break. I think DJ could flourish in a system like this.
                      Something to consider is with JV's emergence we might be going to a more traditional inside out game. Fewer touches for Gay and DeMar in iso situations. I'd expect the touches to be much more evenly split between the 3 options on offense (DD, Gay, JV), with DD and Gay still getting the bulk, but JV's touches in the post increasing.

Comment

• Isn't it nice to see role players in Toronto finally getting paid like role players? They said it couldn't be done in Canada, but you did it MU.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                          Unfortunately? for who?? His fat ass?
                          Masai went out of his way to sign a guy that's spent his career on the bench. Don't you think that's slightly unusual? He obviously saw something in him that no one else did.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            Tank aficionados need to realize that tanking doesn't happen until after the trade deadline. We're going to go into the season trying to win and make the playoffs. If it looks like we're gonna fall short halfway through the season, we start to deal players and go into tank mode. It's not going to happen in the preseason, or it would have already. I think this team will disappoint all the tankers and actually be a pretty good team. Everyone discounts what a beast JV will be this year like he won't make any impact on this teams wins and losses. I think just JV's improved play gets us into the playoffs. Adding improved play from anyone else (or bench improvement from new signings) is just gravy to get us a better seed. I predict 6 seed and I think we're gonna be a nightmare for the 3 seed this year.
                            In 2002-03, the year of the tanking for LeBron, the 6 teams with the worst 6 records after December were the same 6 with the worst records at the end of the season, and the same 6 that got the top 6 picks. Tanking starts day 1, and only ignoring history lets you think that wins at the start of the season won't impact it. So I expect moves to be made in December or early January, rather than waiting for the deadline.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mike, prague wrote: View Post
                              Lol, Casey was quite serious that he wants to play Pacer style basketball... The best way to play Pacer style basketball, is with Pacer players
                              Now all we need is to acquire Sam Young and Ian Mahinmi to round-up our bench.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                He obviously saw something in him that no one else did.
                                And now we know that all he had inside him was 15 too many Cheeseburgers...

Comment

Working...
                                X