Ottawa Just Had an Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Just Had an Earthquake

Freaky, freaky feeling. I've felt them here before, but not this long or as big.

Not just in Ottawa but here in Toronto too. I think ours was about 15-20 seconds after yours, I happened to be chatting with a friend from Ottawa at the precise moment that yours happened. I was Googling it because I thought he was lying to me.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

you suck Doc =(
      just came here to post that i felt it in Toronto too
      it lasted about 10 seconds just felt the ground shaking kinda cool

Comment

It last for about 15 seconds here and was a 5.5 apparently. I've felt them here before, but not that big.

Comment

i live in stoney creek didn't feel a thing they said it struck as far down as cincinatti.

A magnitude-5.5 earthquake struck at the Ontario-Quebec border region of Canada on Wednesday, shaking homes and businesses from Toronto to the states of New York and Michigan, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The midday quake was felt in Canada and in a number of U.S. states, including Michigan, Vermont and parts of upstate New York.

The USGS said the quake occurred at a depth of about 12 miles (19.2 kilometers). The quake occurred at 1:41 p.m. EDT (1741 GMT).

The quake lasted for about 30 seconds, rattling downtown buildings and homes in Ottawa and Toronto, as well as government offices across the Ottawa River in Gatineau, Quebec.

Several buildings in Toronto and the Ottawa region were evacuated.

Chris Cornell, 46, who works in downtown Toronto, said desks and furniture shook as he sat at his desk in a finance office.

In Michigan, residents from suburban Detroit to Port Huron and Saginaw reported feeling the earthquake.

Advertisement In New York state, people from Buffalo to Albany and north to Massena on the St. Lawrence River said pets were startled and plates rattled when the quake hit.

David French, 53-year-old state worker from Cicero, New York, said he was at his computer inside his home near Syracuse when he felt his chair shake.

"I thought the chair was breaking or something," he said. "I looked over and my filing cabinet was moving."

The quake prompted several calls to state police in the Adirondacks area.

"A little shake, nothing too big," is how Trooper Mark Revette described the temblor. "It happens. We get a couple of these a year."

Kellie Tassone, 40, was at home on Oneida Lake in Cicero.

"My dog picked his head up just before it happened and kind of looked at me," she said. Then the sliding door started to rattle "and the house was shaking."

June 23, 2010 02:46 PM

http://www.kyivpost.com/news/world/detail/70773/
          Last edited by LBF; Wed Jun 23, 2010, 03:00 PM.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I live in ottawa but im out west at the moment, kinda scary..
            2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
            lol jk
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Yup, the centre of the earthquake was about 60 kilometers east of Ottawa in Western Quebec. Now I'm just waiting for the after shocks to begin.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                Yup, the centre of the earthquake was about 60 kilometers east of Ottawa in Western Quebec. Now I'm just waiting for the after shocks to begin.
                they already happened if they did...?
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Yep, got sent home from work - there was some light damage to the building (a few cracked windows, I think). No damage to the house though, thank God.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Not just in Ottawa but here in Toronto too. I think ours was about 15-20 seconds after yours, I happened to be chatting with a friend from Ottawa at the precise moment that yours happened. I was Googling it because I thought he was lying to me.
                    The best line came from the local CBC Radio One newscaster. While reporting on the quake this aft he added ".... and Toronto is still coming to grips with the fact that is was not (at) the epicentre of the quake."

Comment

Yea it supposedly hit. People told me about it. I didn't feel i tthough, my friend who lives on the same street as me felt it but I didn't
                      Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

what is this. earthquake in ottawa, tornadoes in winsdor...? weird weather.

Comment

Working...
                        X