Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Rose Garden" now the "Moda Center"... Shame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rose Garden" now the "Moda Center"... Shame.

Well, there were 3 Arenas that chose not have a Corporate Sponsor for their Arena - New York's Madison Square Garden, Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills and Portland's the Rose Garden.
    Now, there is just New York and Detroit. Shame. I always loved the idea of foregoing corporate arena names.

Portland's Rose Garden becomes Moda Center

The Portland Trail Blazers announced a 10-year agreement with insurance provider Moda Health on Tuesday to rename the Rose Garden.

Blazers President Chris McGowan said a new logo should be unveiled within about a month, and the team hopes much of the new signage will be up by the season's home opener on Nov. 2 against San Antonio.

At the request of team owner Paul Allen, the new logo will incorporate a rose as a tribute to the fans and the city. Allen originally named the arena the Rose Garden.

"The Rose Garden is not going away. It's going to be a part of our history and heritage," McGowan said. "The Moda Center is going to take us into the future."

Moda Health, founded in 1955 and based in Portland, offers medical, dental, pharmacy and vision plans to 2 million members in Oregon, Washington and Alaska. Formerly known as ODS, the company changed its name in May.

Williams Johnson, president of Moda Health, would not disclose terms of the deal. The partnership also will include other enhancements to the Rose Quarter district.

In April, Allen told reporters he was "attached' to the Rose Garden, which was opened in 1995. The building is owned by Allen's company, Vulcan Inc.

"I understand people's investments in a particular name. I tried to pick a name, the Rose Garden, that was something like the Boston Garden or Madison Square Garden, there was something in those names that appealed to me as having some permanence," he said at the time. "We'll see what happens."

Asked what he would tell fans similarly attached to the Rose Garden name, McGowan said: "Hopefully, they'll understand that this is what organizations do to go to another level.
    Source

ugh

Comment

Arena named after a medical group....

off course 4.2$mil /year is huge amount , but c'mon.
      Last edited by rocwell; Tue Aug 13, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Portland's arena is the one being named after a medical group?

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Portland's arena is the one being named after a medical group?
          Medical Insurance no-less. This is probably a favour for them writing off Oden's and Roy's contracts. Haha

Comment

Brutal.

"Rose Garden" is the only cool thing about the Blazers these days.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

At least in Boston TD kept it the "TD Garden"

Side note: I love that Boston's Arena is "Toronto Dominion Garden".

Side Side note: Apparently New Orlean's Arena is called ... New Orleans Arena ... Worst name ever. Haha

Comment

New Orleans Arena is actually pretty cool compare to Moda Arena or Toyota Center.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  At least in Boston TD kept it the "TD Garden"

Side note: I love that Boston's Arena is "Toronto Dominion Garden".

Side Side note: Apparently New Orlean's Arena is called ... New Orleans Arena ... Worst name ever. Haha
                  it's not terrible... just completely bland...

worst has to go to one of:

Jobing.com Arena, Glendale, AZ.. home of the Phoenix Coyotes
                  the KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY.. home of the University of Louisville's basketball teams
                  Papa John's Cardinals Stadium, Louisville, KY.. home of the University of Louisville's football team
                  O.co Coliseum, Oakland, CA.. even though they abbreviated it because Overstock.com Coliseum sounds dumb, it's still dumb
                  Sleep Train Arena, Sacramento, CA... home of the Kings

Comment

Guys, it's a business. They care about the bottom line and the American economy is seeing some of their worst times in the country's history. It's just a name. Better to have a healthy franchise, no?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Guys, it's a business. They care about the bottom line and the American economy is seeing some of their worst times in the country's history. It's just a name. Better to have a healthy franchise, no?
                      While I agree with this, it's only for around $4M per year; that barely buys you Luke Ridnour.
                      If $4M if the difference between a stable franchise and an unstable one, then those owners have bigger issues. Lol

UPDATE: Apparently it will actually be called "The Moda Center at the Rose Quarter" ...
                      Portland being the "Rose City", it makes sense they are trying to maintain that tie, but that name is just a moutful. And apaprently they've asked Moda to incorporate a Rose into the logo for the Arena.
                      Last edited by Joey; Wed Aug 14, 2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

it's all fine... and to be honest, I love that they give me something to laugh at.... but accepting something, and liking something, are two completely separate things

the only thing i'd raise a stink about it that changing the names of some buildings ruin their iconic status...

I still can't call the Skydome anything but that.... and still get confused when somebody refers to it by that other name

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          While I agree with this, it's only for around $4M per year; that barely buys you Luke Ridnour.
                          If $4M if the difference between a stable franchise and an unstable one, then those owners have bigger issues. Lol

UPDATE: Apparently it will actually be called "The Moda Center at the Rose Quarter" ...
                          Portland being the "Rose City", it makes sense they are trying to maintain that tie, but that name is just a moutful. And apaprently they've asked Moda to incorporate a Rose into the logo for the Arena.
                          If you have an unstable franchise then $4M/yr. could mean a lot. It might not get you in the clear but if you're taking loses your investors and creditors want to see you doing everything possible to turn the ship around.

Comment

If you have an unstable franchise then $4M/yr. could mean a lot. It might not get you in the clear but if you're taking loses your investors and creditors want to see you doing everything possible to turn the ship around.
                            Fair point.
                            However, I can't help but question that in Portlands case, only because Paul Allen owns the Rose Garden and the Trailblazers, and he is one of the richest men in the world. $4M to him is like an extra Nickel to us.

And then there is his quote about naming it the Rose Garden, from just last year:
                            "I understand people's investments in a particular name. I tried to pick a name, the Rose Garden, that was something like the Boston Garden or Madison Square Garden, there was something in those names that appealed to me as having some permanence," he said at the time. "We'll see what happens."
                            Just seems weird to me. Obviously he had his reasons (basketball reasons?) for it though.

heinz57 wrote:
                            the only thing i'd raise a stink about it that changing the names of some buildings ruin their iconic status...
                            Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Working...
                            X