Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors have a chance at the #1 pick and it's a weak draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerlens Noel is going to be the first pick. He is so athletic that he will have no problem playing at the 5 or 4.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      Nerlens Noel is going to be the first pick. He is so athletic that he will have no problem playing at the 5 or 4.
      He's great defensively, but unfortunately not very good offensively.

Comment

Thoughts on Canadian Anthony Bennett? Noticed he's off to a great start.

Comment

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
          And half our roster will be injured for the easiest stretch of the season.
          This is an advantage to be honest
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            with like 60 something more games to go
            And of those 60 games, we'd have to win about 36 - 40 games to get an 8th seed. The Raptors aren't going to play .600 ball the rest of the season unfortunately, may as well try to develop the young players (tank).

Comment

Zewo wrote: View Post
              And of those 60 games, we'd have to win about 36 - 40 games to get an 8th seed. The Raptors aren't going to play .600 ball the rest of the season unfortunately, may as well try to develop the young players (tank).
              It makes sense in theory to tank but there are some issues with that.

The only pick they have in the 2013 draft is 1-3. If they fail to make the playoffs (which they will) and if they don't win the lottery (ie, move up in the draft) they lose their pick to OKC. If they continue to lose, then the typical reward that most losing teams get (ie, a high draft pick) could be gone. So the losing may be for nothing.

The idea of developing our young players makes sense, but Casey proved last year that he wants to win every game. So he will continue to play his vets. When Anderson is healthy, he will use him a lot. Jose will get a tonne of minutes as usual. Gray will probably get his fare share of minutes as well. So the idea of developing young players makes sense, but it won't really happen with Casey as the coach as he proved last year.

If the Raptors do get a top 3 pick in 2013, then they could lose the pick in 2014 - which most agree is going to be a much stronger draft. Even a top 3 pick in 2013 could be a low lottery pick in 2014. So it might make more sense to lose the 2013 pick and give that to OKC now so that we would not have to worry about losing the 2014 draft pick.

That is why this year has been so frustrating. I personally do not want to see a tank. I want to win. The ideal situation for me would be to be ranked #9th.. ie, just miss the playoffs so the pick goes to OKC. OKC would get a pretty bad pick (13th/14th) and we'd get to keep our pick in 2014 and beyond.

The way things are going though, I wouldn't be surprised if we missed the top 3 and ended up giving OKC the #4 pick. So unlike last year, I really want the Raps to win as many games as they can - and its super frustrating to see them lose.

Comment

At the start of the season, I'd agree with you, finishing just out of the playoffs would've been the best bet, showing some internal growth with the prospect of more growth. But with the way this season has turned out, I don't really care how they play anymore. The season is clearly over, I wouldn't say tank on purpose, but definitely give the young guys some minutes to see what they can do.

This sounds crazy, but I also hope that they do give away the pick to the Thunder this year (regardless of position, as this isn't a deep draft apparently), so we can tank the 2013-14 season in earnest, and get Wiggins. (Wiggins!)

Comment

There's another possibility: getting our pick back. Don't get me wrong, if I'm Sam Presti I'd treat that pick like gold right now, but only because you assume it would be in the 4-10 range. If we get the 1-3 pick and don't have someone we'd LOVE to draft at that spot, then put together a deal that involves us giving them that pick (i.e., a pick that is in fact BETTER than they thought it would be) and get our pick back.

That sounds a little weird, but it would work once we know for sure this year's pick is ours.

Mind you, this only makes sense if we commit to a full rebuild, meaning that we are "tanking" next year by focusing on developing the young guys -- plus hopefully trading away most of our quality vets for youth + picks (vets that are there as mentors, like Magloire last year, can be kept). If not, we'd likely end up with a much worse pick next year.

I haven't checked the quality of the next two drafts, but I'd guess a 1-3 pick this year would be better than an 8-10 pick next year. So blow it up, get our pick back, and pray for Wiggins.

Comment

I'm already mentally preparing myself to land the #4 pick. It really seems inevitable.

As far as a weak draft. I wouldn't worry. They say that a lot. It was supposed to be weak one two years ago but that brought Irving, Leonard, K Thompson, Faried, Knight, Walker, and JV (just off the top of my head).

What does kinda suck also is that the top 3 prospects right now are a SG and two C's. Something the Raps don't really need. But a lot will change in the coming months.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Ed Davis wrote: View Post
                      He's great defensively, but unfortunately not very good offensively.
                      He's brutal at the line, also. Still he is the obvious number one pick.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        He's brutal at the line, also. Still he is the obvious number one pick.
                        Definitely not the "obvious" #1. Not yet. But he does have the obvious #1 haircut in the draft class.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

give the pick to okc this year, do whatever it takes to get Wiggins in a Raps uni the year after. It's the only way out of this mess. To be relevant you absolutely need a superstar talent in the NBA and there are none in this years crop.

I used to be a big supporter of the age limit but now it's dooming us to suck a lil longer.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                            It was supposed to be weak one two years ago but that brought Irving, Leonard, K Thompson, Faried, Knight, Walker, and JV (just off the top of my head).

That qualifies as a weak draft. Other than Kyrie it's a bunch of decent role players in your list.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Sounds familiar? The raptors probably have there best chance of winning the lottery since? Yes since 06. It's funny how this happens. I feel like if we get the #1 pick. It has to Shabazz Muhammad! When Andrea doesn't play we play D. We just need another dynamic offensive player. Shabazz is the only one in this draft.

Way too early to predict....wait till March and March madness to better assess top prospects.

Comment

I would say that his the best prospect but, I feel that he is the best offensive prospect. That's what we need now ppl that can put the ball in the basket.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X